Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Jan 21, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #196 of 887
never noticed any difference on toslink or coax. its only transmitting 1's and 0's.
someone care to explain how this could be different????

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #197 of 887
regarding the reported psu upgrade, wouldnt that be more beneficial to an amp rather than a dac?????

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #198 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never noticed any difference on toslink or coax. its only transmitting 1's and 0's.

it's not only transmitting 1's an 0's, but 1's and 0's with length/timing. so in another words the problem is jitter, different interfaces are not the same when it comes to jitter. on coax connections the cable matters, on the previous page someone linked an article about the coax cable length and that's not the only factor. in many cases the toslink connections are more prone to jitter but obviously not always.

there was just recently an article on jitter in stereophile

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #199 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not only transmitting 1's an 0's, but 1's and 0's with length/timing. so in another words the problem is jitter, different interfaces are not the same when it comes to jitter. on coax connections the cable matters, on the previous page someone linked an article about the coax cable length and that's not the only factor. in many cases the toslink connections are more prone to jitter but obviously not always.

there was just recently an article on jitter in stereophile

so am i right in thinking there are no benefits on upgrading optical cables?

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #200 of 887
Quote:

so am i right in thinking there are no benefits on upgrading optical cables?

The cable manufacturers (obviously) and the hi-fi press say that optical cables do vary in performance. I've tried 2 different optical cables (at different price points) in my system and I can't tell them apart.

Try to find a dealer that will take the goods back if you're not satisfied. That way you can try out a fancy cable at home and see for yourself.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #201 of 887
Quote:

regarding the reported psu upgrade, wouldnt that be more beneficial to an amp rather than a dac?????

A better PSU will result in cleaner power, and therefore possibly better performance from the DAC. It's been noted in reviews in the past that Musical Fidelity's external PSUs have improved the performance of their DACs.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #202 of 887
Just wanted to give an update to my A/Bing of VDAC vs. Arcam cd73. At first when I was comparing the two, I thought that the Arcam was more detailed than the vdac. I also thought that the Arcam had more dynamic slam and punchiness to rhythm. After doing more comparisons, I've realized that the VDAC is actually more detailed, while the Arcam is brighter and leaner. The VDAC has more layers of detail while being less bright, thus giving a thicker texture and lush sound. While the Arcam at first sounded to me punchier and quicker, I actually think it's pretty close comparison between the two. The arcam seems to emphasize the leading edge or attack, while the vdac has a more fleshed out presentation emphasizing the richness and tonality of the sound - sounding at first to be not as fast while actually being fast indeed.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #203 of 887
Quote:

I myself have never noticed a difference between toslink and coax. However, I have read quite a few postings on this subject and it seems that those with very revealing systems can hear a difference. A techie type explained the difference thus: when the digital data is read from the disc or audio file, it is converted into electrical impulses. This is then transmitted along the coax cable. For toslink, these electrical impulses have to be converted to light that is transmitted along the fibre-optic cable. Some claim that it is this extra conversion stage that degrades the signal.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #204 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to give an update to my A/Bing of VDAC vs. Arcam cd73. At first when I was comparing the two, I thought that the Arcam was more detailed than the vdac. I also thought that the Arcam had more dynamic slam and punchiness to rhythm. After doing more comparisons, I've realized that the VDAC is actually more detailed, while the Arcam is brighter and leaner. The VDAC has more layers of detail while being less bright, thus giving a thicker texture and lush sound. While the Arcam at first sounded to me punchier and quicker, I actually think it's pretty close comparison between the two. The arcam seems to emphasize the leading edge or attack, while the vdac has a more fleshed out presentation emphasizing the richness and tonality of the sound - sounding at first to be not as fast while actually being fast indeed.

Many thanks for the update. The V-Dac is now tempting me very much indeed! All I'm waiting for now is that upcoming review of the V-Dac in the next issue of Hi-Fi World. If this turns out positive then it clinches the deal for me. If not, then I'm going to go for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #205 of 887
Having read so many diverging opinions thought I might as well present my version of what I hear. Been listening to audiophile recordings (like James Taylors October road) and old recordings (like Junior Wells Voodoo Blues: 1965). In all cases this DAC works like a charm in my set-up! I have no complaints whatsoever. After purchase I immediately recognized the highs were defined and not sharp-edged at all. Even with older recordings (but then there are always lousy recordings on CD, many of them modern). At first I thought the DAC was a bit weak in the bass section. After burning-in for one month: not so. The strength of this little box for me, however, is in its presentation of mids and highs. The comment by the What Hifi reviewer (“a rich, detailed midrange, with lots of instrumental and vocal colour … If anything, this richness could get a bit much at times – especially as it means a degree of compromise when it comes to rhythmic precision") makes no sense to me: the music is presented in many layers and my accurate ATC speakers are able to handle that. Don’t think that a DAC can add musical information; IMHO it can only reveal. In my set-up instruments are very well separated and at the same time, and this is important, presented in a very coherent manner. I have no complaints about rythm (PRAT discussions earlier in this forum). Although not my favourite genre, I find live jazz music very appropriate for judging the interplay of musicians, since there is no studio mixing involved. To my ears: also excellent.
But then, the reason I bought the V-DAC. I own an old Sony CDP (1992), from the era when material costs were no issue. It weighs 16 kgs and is built like a tank. Certainly, significant developments in chips have occurred since then, but I would still put this player up against many modern high-end players for it’s drivework. Accuracy of reading out the digital information is crucial, of course. That’s why I could not understand when someone was complaining about the V-DAC’s sound in combination with a 200 Euro DVD player… As the Audio magazine reviewer put it: there is no absolute judging of a DAC possible; the musical abilities of the V-DAC are only revealed in combination with more accurate driveworks. Regardless, the V-DAC gives me exactly what I hoped for: more musical layers, more detail and transparancy. And as a result music has really become detached from the speakers, providing a more threedimensional life-like sound. Simply put, the V-DAC makes the music more involving! Without hesitation: I would still buy the V-DAC for triple it’s price.
I have no experience with other DAC’s (but I know the Burr-Brown DSD-1792 chipset is often applied in very expensive players). Therefore I only report here on the sound quality of the V-DAC in my system. Great!

Set-up: Sony CDP X-779ES, Marantz PM16, ATC SCM12 monitors, REL Strata subwoofer, QED speaker cables, Van den Hul Integration Hybrid interconnect.

PS: I bought an expensive QED Signature 75 Ohm Coaxial cable with the V-DAC, but now am trying an optical cable borrowed from a friend: somehow seems to produce an even more “stable” sound! The jury is still out.
PPS: uncertain about it’s effect, I isolated the V-DAC with Sorbothane feet and put a weight on top to isolate and dampen possible vibrations.
PPPS: I saw there is a comparative review of DAC’s in the February issue of HiFi Choice: the V-DAC is not included. The DACMagic is. Not so surprising since they declared it Product of the year (2008). Perhaps also explaining why the V-DAC is not included?

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #206 of 887
Nice review man! Very nice hi-fi you have. I've always wanted to hear ATC speakers as I hear that they are very neutral and revealing. If the vdac sounds great on your system, that really says a lot.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #207 of 887
The continued positive reviews of this product remain encouraging, especially as it seems this product may excel at acoustic / orchestral music.

I am sufficiently encouraged that once it is in the hands of my "local" retailer ("local" means a 4.5 hour round trip), I will be taking all my head-fi gear to his store to audition this DAC. That comprises my Musical Fidelity XCan V3, Little Pinkie power supply, Sennheiser PXC300 headphones and my Sony PCM D50 linear PCM field recorder as the source. So I will be using the optical connection on the V-DAC.

I am told my dealer will be getting it in around 2 - 3 weeks and it will cost $499 AUD. That price is quite competitive with what it would cost to buy from overseas, so it is best to wait to get the obvious advantages of buying from a dealer in my own country, apart from the most critical advantage of all in being able to audition it with my existing components.

At the moment I am using my ASUS Xonar for DAC duties and I am perfectly satisfied with it. Actually I love the Xonar as a DAC - it sounds fantastic. This whole combination I have at the moment is brilliant with acoustic / orchestral music, especially violins (which most systems completely fail to handle properly). But I want something to use in the bedroom and which does not require the use of a computer. If the V-DAC can provide as result as sonically pleasing as my ASUS Xonar during the upcoming audition, that will be reason enough to purchase one.

I am also tossing up the DACMagic too, but since there is no way to audition the latter against the V-DAC, the sensible aproach is to basically audition the V-DAC first and buy it if it is as good for orchestral music as the Xonar. I am always extremely critical with my auditions of new components and for me the acid test will be violin sound. I will know pretty soon if it is up to the challenge or not.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #208 of 887
FWIW disclaimer: My rig is nothing to mention; may have been mid-fi-ish a long time ago.

I was convinced at zero hours and even more so now at 20h burn in, that this is the best value I've got for my money in a long time, all categories. Beasty analogue synths breath and growl right out at you. That'll be all the poetry I would like to offer at the moment: I just revisited the whole thread, and nods go to each and every positive thing said about this component.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #209 of 887
This is what I wrote about the V-DAC a while ago.

"Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Lovely clean punchy highs with a neutral to warm sound, a brilliant sounding super budget DAC that will go down in Head-Fi history as the bargain of the decade at an amazing £150".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back