Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #167 of 887
A few commas and full-stops in your post might make it easier to understand!

According to What Hi-Fi's recent DAC grouptest, the V-Dac might be perfect for the kind of music you are into. They said it has a great midrange, but that it wasn't too good at thumping basslines. Sounds like what you're looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorkiii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right as a dacmagic 1st time daccer this valab dac and fidelity vdac which one sounds better to people listening to accoustic stuff beth orton neil young and lots of others ooh my music likingness is extremely varied but i do like a nice voice and a strumming guitar i mainly listen to lasorts bur rarely thumping bass so something thats nice with rolling stones to bjork to patti smith to the cure to gordon lightfoot
beerchug.gif
all opinions appreciated. or shall i buy both and then have 3 dacs ?

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #168 of 887
Does it make a difference (for the quality of sound) to connect the V-Dac through USB, spdif or optical?

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #171 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by suikodenii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine via ebay from a seller called "uk audio gallery", service was good & they ship outside UK.
The USB plug on the VDAC is a USB B. To connect it to a standard PC you will need as such an A to B USB cable.

The VDAC package does not contain such a cable - or in fact any cable apart from power supply.

That seller was the only one listing the V-DAC. I asked about combined shipping; received reply that this was no problem. Yesterday I was going to "buy it now", but learned that the 30 day auction had been pulled. I asked about it and received this reply:
"Dear spahn_ranch,

Thomas, your German dealer don't want to see us there any accused us of violating their intellectual property. It is understandable because they want to charge you 100 eur higher. You can buy one direct from My DAC - MAD England, My Audio Design Made in England,Hi Fi - Items
I assumed you found us from the hi-fi forum, please let the people know about us on your local forum. Thanks!"
"Intellectual property"? He's been selling these things for a good while now; is listing a lot of stuff yet has only 148 feedback points. This doesn't insipre much confidence to part with my money outside of ebay/paypal. I've never seen a mention of madengland.com, and I get no hits when searching, other than the shop link. Everything in their catalogue is "available in stock".

I'm not sure this computes. Has anyone here every bought anything from MAD England? Or a V-DAC shipped internationally from another UK dealer?

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #172 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by russelk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few commas and full-stops in your post might make it easier to understand!

According to What Hi-Fi's recent DAC grouptest, the V-Dac might be perfect for the kind of music you are into. They said it has a great midrange, but that it wasn't too good at thumping basslines. Sounds like what you're looking for.

Which issue of What Hi-Fi? Which other DAC in group test with V-DAC?

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #173 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seller was the only one listing the V-DAC. I asked about combined shipping; received reply that this was no problem. Yesterday I was going to "buy it now", but learned that the 30 day auction had been pulled.

It should be clarified that eBay administration themselves pulled the auction, citing an undisclosed breach of eBay policy. Furthermore eBay goes on to state that individuals who have won items in that auction now have the option to keep them or return them for a refund.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #174 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be clarified that eBay administration themselves pulled the auction, citing an undisclosed breach of eBay policy. Furthermore eBay goes on to state that individuals who have won items in that auction now have the option to keep them or return them for a refund.

Alright, all I know is ebay's statement regarding that auction: " This listing (250347159769) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it cancelled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay."

I've had further correspondence with the seller and I may go ahead and purchase from his shop after all; that's if anytime fairly soon he'll get the checkout procedure sorted to offer a method of payment, specifically paypal. Yesterday, cheques were accepted; today nozink.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #175 of 887
Any members who were the winning bidders on that auction got a much more detailed letter from eBay than what you are seeing when you try to access the auction number.

btw, can someone give me the exact specs of the adapter please? As usual, Australia is a pardigm in lethargy in getting any of this stuff and I am now growing somewhat impatient. The only hitch is the adapter - I won't buy from the UK so that pretty much leaves the states and the 120 volt issue.

So I am wondering if any 12 volt regulated(?) wall wart of x amps capability will power it until MF bring out their (supposed) V series PS.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #176 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seller was the only one listing the V-DAC. I asked about combined shipping; received reply that this was no problem. Yesterday I was going to "buy it now", but learned that the 30 day auction had been pulled. I asked about it and received this reply:
"Dear spahn_ranch,

Thomas, your German dealer don't want to see us there any accused us of violating their intellectual property. It is understandable because they want to charge you 100 eur higher. You can buy one direct from My DAC - MAD England, My Audio Design Made in England,Hi Fi - Items
I assumed you found us from the hi-fi forum, please let the people know about us on your local forum. Thanks!"
"Intellectual property"? He's been selling these things for a good while now; is listing a lot of stuff yet has only 148 feedback points. This doesn't insipre much confidence to part with my money outside of ebay/paypal. I've never seen a mention of madengland.com, and I get no hits when searching, other than the shop link. Everything in their catalogue is "available in stock".

I'm not sure this computes. Has anyone here every bought anything from MAD England? Or a V-DAC shipped internationally from another UK dealer?

looks like the EU distributor of MF products wasnt too happy with the VDAC being shipped for less out of UK.
I got mine from UK audio gallery via ebay and they referred me after sales to their shop as well (MAD) should I am interested any other products.
I got mine within 2 weeks (over xmas) but otherwise have no other experience with them.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #177 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by suikodenii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like the EU distributor of MF products wasnt too happy with the VDAC being shipped for less out of UK.
I got mine from UK audio gallery via ebay and they referred me after sales to their shop as well (MAD) should I am interested any other products.
I got mine within 2 weeks (over xmas) but otherwise have no other experience with them.

It was and still is being shipped for less, by Stoneaudio of UK. Regarding UK audio gallery, he pushed that quite a bit and the next day the item was pulled off ebay. That's sorted out now and I would have proceeded with the order at MAD, if only the checkout procedure was operational.

Edit: Paypal checkout fixed, order placed at MAD England: £189.19 total (incl VAT and shipping) to Sweden.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #178 of 887
Has anyone tried the V-DAC with an upgraded power supply. The walwart power supply on the V-DAC is a ****ty 500mA 12V. Almost all 12v DACs that use a 500mA walwart benefit greatly from more powerful 12volt DC power supplies. The Kingrex UD-01, SuperPro USB, and Monica 3 Dac's are all transformed when a decent power supply like the KingRex PSU is used instead of the stock walwart. Another option would be to connect the V-DAC to battery source such as the Kingrex SLAP or the Audiomagus PowerCenter.

I believe the common complaints regarding the PRaT of this device would be solved with a decent power supply. I would imagine it should increase the rhythm, timing, and clarity . If anyone has a 12vDC power supply higher than 500mA could you please give it a try and let us know if there is an improvement in sound quality.

The V-DAC has a 1.3mm DC power socket which I believe the Kingrex PSU has. At $169, the Kingrex PSU may not be the cheapest upgrade but it might make the sound of the V-DAC comparable to the X-DAC V8.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #179 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by geering /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the V-DAC with an upgraded power supply. The walwart power supply on the V-DAC is a ****ty 500mA 12V. Almost all 12v DACs that use a 500mA walwart benefit greatly from more powerful 12volt DC power supplies. The Kingrex UD-01, SuperPro USB, and Monica 3 Dac's are all transformed when a decent power supply like the KingRex PSU is used instead of the stock walwart. Another option would be to connect the V-DAC to battery source such as the Kingrex SLAP or the Audiomagus PowerCenter.

I believe the common complaints regarding the PRaT of this device would be solved with a decent power supply. I would imagine it should increase the rhythm, timing, and clarity . If anyone has a 12vDC power supply higher than 500mA could you please give it a try and let us know if there is an improvement in sound quality.

The V-DAC has a 1.3mm DC power socket which I believe the Kingrex PSU has. At $169, the Kingrex PSU may not be the cheapest upgrade but it might make the sound of the V-DAC comparable to the X-DAC V8.

I was wondering about that too - though I have to say I have no issue with PRAT yet.
However on the package of the VDAC MF is marketing a V-PSU, an "enhanced/ overdimensioned" PSU that is supposed to be released soon and is marketed as a "significant" upgrade to the stock PSU of any "V componen"t.

FWIWs...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back