Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #121 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current headphone Amp is a Graham Slee Solo W/ PSU1.

Headphones to date are Sony MDR-SA5000, Ultrasone Pro 900 and the Beyer DT880 '05/250.

i have a solo on the way (although not with psu1)
you have two cans that are on my shortlist, sa5000 and pro900.
how do they perform with the solo?
i refer mainly to the common reported failings of the cans.
ie too much bass on pro 900, and too little on sonys ( + thin sound)
these are only what i have read, of course. your opinions would help me decide on next purchase.
cheers

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #122 of 887
have been playing cd's through my sony dvd player tonight.
either using coax to vdac to amp, or line out to amp.
guess what? i cant tell the difference.
have i just wasted my money on the vdac?
confused, was expecting dac to be better than built in effort on dvd player
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #123 of 887
It's not a giant killer, but more of an improved audio output stage if you got a CDP or DVDP with a poor analogue output. It also sounds better through USB than the line output of a PC sound card.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #124 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a giant killer, but more of an improved audio output stage if you got a CDP or DVDP with a poor analogue output. It also sounds better through USB than the line output of a PC sound card.

when you say "line output" are you talking literally or do you mean the digital out?

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #125 of 887
I mean the analogue output. Quite a few folks use a RCA audio cable from the line output on their soundcard to the AUX input on their amplifier. Sound quality is in general inferior that way.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #126 of 887
Quote:

I mean the analogue output. Quite a few folks use a RCA audio cable from the line output on their soundcard to the AUX input on their amplifier. Sound quality is in general inferior that way.

i am using digital, from sc (normally)
flac files ripped with eac and using aiso4all, to vdac to ldmkv to cans.
i would have thought this would be better than using the analogue out of my dvd player to amp. but it aint!
all part of the learning curve i guess!?

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #127 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all part of the learning curve i guess!?

Matsudaman has a lot to answer for
wink_face.gif
. Even I got taken in by the hype, but luckily it is didn't break the bank.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #128 of 887
the DAC search is about to be brought back to life.
gonna run out of space in my "redundent" cupboard at this rate!

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #129 of 887
Quote:

gonna run out of space in my "redundent" cupboard at this rate!

biggrin.gif
. I know the feeling. My wife thinks they are free samples from work. Well, that's what I tell her
wink.gif
. I just mentioned on another thread that I am now holding out for the USB DAC from Beresford. If it sounds as good as my modified TC-7510 and is cheaper than the DacMagic I shall treat myself to one before I padlock my wallet for a while.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #130 of 887
Quote:

biggrin.gif
. I know the feeling. My wife thinks they are free samples from work. Well, that's what I tell her
wink.gif
. I just mentioned on another thread that I am now holding out for the USB DAC from Beresford. If it sounds as good as my modified TC-7510 and is cheaper than the DacMagic I shall treat myself to one before I padlock my wallet for a while.

not heard of this usb dac from beresford. though its probably a 7510 with usb input.
BTW where can i buy a good quality "wallet padlock"?
all the ones i buy break really easy
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #131 of 887
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist. If YOU can't hear the difference than you've obviously wasted YOUR money.

I can hear a vast difference between the V-DAC and the Arcam CD73. It's easy to hear difference between my Arcam and my Cambridge d500se. For Pete's sake there is a difference between cheap dvd player A and cheap dvd player B. To say that there is NO DIFFERENCE between a cheap dvd player and the VDAC is basically admitting to not being ABLE to hear the difference between the two.

BTW, you and Herandu should get a room.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #133 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist. If YOU can't hear the difference than you've obviously wasted YOUR money.

I can hear a vast difference between the V-DAC and the Arcam CD73. It's easy to hear difference between my Arcam and my Cambridge d500se. For Pete's sake there is a difference between cheap dvd player A and cheap dvd player B. To say that there is NO DIFFERENCE between a cheap dvd player and the VDAC is basically admitting to not being ABLE to hear the difference between the two.

BTW, you and Herandu should get a room.

i wonder if its because my cans (ath-a900) are not that revealing?
i have read they are forgiving of poorer source. could it be this is why the dvd player doesnt sound bad.
the player was also over £200 , when new!
and i will give the "room" a miss , thanks
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #134 of 887
Quote:

i wonder if its because my cans (ath-a900) are not that revealing?
i have read they are forgiving of poorer source. could it be this is why the dvd player doesnt sound bad.
the player was also over £200 , when new!
and i will give the "room" a miss , thanks
tongue.gif

I'm not sure if it's the ath-9000's that are not revealing the differences between your sources. Have you tried comparing the two with conventional loudspeakers? While my hd580's seem to be quite revealing in a detail kind of way, my speakers (wharfedale diamond 9.5's) tend to be even more revealing in a dynamic and also tonal way. Most of my impressions of the v-dac have been listening to speakers rather than through headphones.

Also, it doesn't matter if your dvd player was 200, 1,000, or 50 clams - it's going to sound different, whether better or worse. One might not be able to tell, but each piece of equipment is a different animal.

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #135 of 887
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Fanboys strike again.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back