Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Dec 21, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #46 of 887
I haven't compared the vdac directly to the DAC1, but the signature of the V-dac is definitely warm and lush. If I remember correctly, the DAC1 is very detailed and on the bright side.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #47 of 887
My V-DAC arrived yesterday, finally! I baught the QED signature coax cable also, to get the most of this new set-up.
My initial impressions: very transparant and good definition, many details without any digital harshness in treble!
My A to B comparison (CD DAC vs V-DAC is not 100% correct due to different interlinks, though both are high quality): whereas the V-DAC delivers more of what I described above, my CD player has more weight / authority / pressured sound (expressing audio in another language is no easy task). Perhaps this sounding is a singular quality of my classic CD player (SONY CDP 779ES: made in 1992), since it has huge powersupplies for both the digital and the analogue stages. Also, I attached an excellent powercord and plug to my CD player, absent from the V-DAC. Now I miss that sense of scale with the V-DAC, that cannot simply be restored by increasing lows on the amp or subwoofer. Any suggestions anybody, what might help here?
This is not so much criticism to the V-DAC, since I believe it delivers true value for the bucks.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #48 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would put this up against any of the dacs mentioned.
stelloda100sig12fg5.jpg

I also say that up-sampling is to poorly recorded music what warter is to the desert. The thing is to be able to choose the amount of up-sampling based on the quality of the recording, if its a great recording it is best left off. I have some old Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn albums that are not the best recordings and 192 or 96 makes them so much smoother. Someone mentioned the DacMagic being a nicer peice of equipment than the DA100? That is bunk, take a look at the DacMagic thread, lots of unimpressed people over there. "Giant Killers" are mostly non existent and I have a feeling that is the case here as well.

Well, I have to say that your warter analogy is pretty convincing....
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks for the random plug.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #49 of 887
OK folks, let's all remember to be polite and civil here.

We all have opinions, and it's not unexpected that we would sometimes disagree.

I am glad to see this DAC getting some write-up. I'm very curious about it, being a former X-24 DAC owner. I'm most curious to hear impressions regarding the USB in when using a PC.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #50 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin&Hobbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My V-DAC arrived yesterday, finally! I baught the QED signature coax cable also, to get the most of this new set-up.
My initial impressions: very transparant and good definition, many details without any digital harshness in treble!
My A to B comparison (CD DAC vs V-DAC is not 100% correct due to different interlinks, though both are high quality): whereas the V-DAC delivers more of what I described above, my CD player has more weight / authority / pressured sound (expressing audio in another language is no easy task). Perhaps this sounding is a singular quality of my classic CD player (SONY CDP 779ES: made in 1992), since it has huge powersupplies for both the digital and the analogue stages. Also, I attached an excellent powercord and plug to my CD player, absent from the V-DAC. Now I miss that sense of scale with the V-DAC, that cannot simply be restored by increasing lows on the amp or subwoofer. Any suggestions anybody, what might help here?
This is not so much criticism to the V-DAC, since I believe it delivers true value for the bucks.

If its a tube amp I would say roll some tubes. If you have bright IC's then something warmer would help as well. The Audioquest King Cobra will have the desired effect.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #51 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK folks, let's all remember to be polite and civil here.

We all have opinions, and it's not unexpected that we would sometimes disagree.

I am glad to see this DAC getting some write-up. I'm very curious about it, being a former X-24 DAC owner. I'm most curious to hear impressions regarding the USB in when using a PC.

Sorry about my earlier sarcastic reply.

As far as usb performance goes, I couldn't be happier with the V-DAC. When I hooked it up, the computer instantly recognized and installed the proper drivers and I was ready to go - very smooth engaging it and disengaging (if you want to go back to your sound card).

The sound with compressed audio files is fantastic. Imagine all of your mp3's or whatever file type you use wrapped in a honey glaze and given extra dynamics and punch. Absolutely dead quiet background.

Speaking of usb, does anyone know if usb cables make a difference? Also wondering if I should switch from toslink to coax between my cd and dac.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #52 of 887
I had a thread reguarding USB cables and it was the most conveluded mess I have ever seen. Some people claim to hear a difference but from what I gather it was not a big difference. My Dac works better with optical and coax so there is another reason for me not to throw money at a USB cable. As far as optical and coax, I would think coax would be preferred if it is used to connect a CD player and not a noisey computer.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/us...5/#post4747089

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #53 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about my earlier sarcastic reply.

As far as usb performance goes, I couldn't be happier with the V-DAC. When I hooked it up, the computer instantly recognized and installed the proper drivers and I was ready to go - very smooth engaging it and disengaging (if you want to go back to your sound card).

The sound with compressed audio files is fantastic. Imagine all of your mp3's or whatever file type you use wrapped in a honey glaze and given extra dynamics and punch. Absolutely dead quiet background.

Speaking of usb, does anyone know if usb cables make a difference? Also wondering if I should switch from toslink to coax between my cd and dac.

MatsudaMan you desribed the V-DAC wonderfully. A weeks worth of burn in and it really starts to tighten up, the bass extension really starts to slam and the overall music spectrum seems to flow seamlessly, this is without doubt a killer DAC especially at its price, its small size is another bonus.

Dec 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #54 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't compared the vdac directly to the DAC1, but the signature of the V-dac is definitely warm and lush. If I remember correctly, the DAC1 is very detailed and on the bright side.

The DAC1 is endeed very detailed and on the bright side. What I would like is to keep as much detail as possible but get a bit more warmth and weight.

I'll lurk around a bit at wait to see if DAC1 and V-DAC comparisons show up. Otherwise I have to buy the V-DAC myself and compare them
smile.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #55 of 887
my v-dac is coming tomorrow.
hope its an improvement over my zero!?
smile_phones.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #56 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MatsudaMan you desribed the V-DAC wonderfully. A weeks worth of burn in and it really starts to tighten up, the bass extension really starts to slam and the overall music spectrum seems to flow seamlessly, this is without doubt a killer DAC especially at its price, its small size is another bonus.

Thanks Anadin. I'm really looking forward to the break-in process, especially since I already really like the sound so much. If anything, a tightening of the bass would just put the icing on the cake with this baby.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #57 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you tell us about the rest of your system that you used with the V-dac?

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #58 of 887
Wow, I really want to get this V-Dac! It looks promising. I need a DAC for my bedside rig and this looks like the one. I love the small size and reasonable price. This could be a star!

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #59 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I really want to get this V-Dac! It looks promising. I need a DAC for my bedside rig and this looks like the one. I love the small size and reasonable price. This could be a star!

Go for it and join Club V-DAC. You won't be disappointed.

I'm actually going through withdrawal right now - had to leave it home to visit family. Can't wait to get back to the burn in process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back