Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
May 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #541 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey V-Dac owners,

I'm just wondering how you place the V-Dac within your setup(physically). Because I noticed that the outputs and inputs are placed on either side of the DAC itself which I find rather awkward and not very visually pleasing.(I'd rather have all the wires sticking out the back of a unit which faces the wall)

I know that this is purely aesthetic and not performance related at all. It may not matter to you at all but I'm just curious. Some pictures would be bonus.

Cheers

I put mine behind the other equipment in the stereo-rack

May 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #543 of 887
Hi guys,
I try to use my new v-dac with my pioneer DV-565A DVD/SACD player through the coax output. There is no sound and green locking light, if I play the SACD sides of the SACDs.
It works only with the CD layers of SACDs. What could be the problem? Any suggestion would be welcome, thanks in advance!

May 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #544 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagemaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
I try to use my new v-dac with my pioneer DV-565A DVD/SACD player through the coax output. There is no sound and green locking light, if I play the SACD sides of the SACDs.
It works only with the CD layers of SACDs. What could be the problem? Any suggestion would be welcome, thanks in advance!

There isn't a problem - it is normal behaviour. The DAC cannot decode DSD.

May 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #545 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, when that happens after changing a power supply, it means the power supply is not up to the current demands of the component it is powering. The V-DAC shouldn't be doing that at all with a PSU upgrade - if anything the highs should seem more controlled, more smooth and less grainy than before. I know that PSU has enough current going by spec, but that often does not tell the whole story.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, here is a "pre-review" of the V-DAC. Apparently it is going to be reviewed in the June issue of Playback Magazine. The author seems rather enthusiastic about it. To be honest, I don't really take much notice at all of professional reviews these days, as it seems everything is met with glorious enthusiasm:

The Little DAC That Could | AV Guide

Personally, my enthusiasm for the V-DAC has been tempered after auditioning a Cambridge 840C CD player last week (which the UK mags think is only a "4 star" player LOL). Unfortunately I don't think the V-DAC is remotely in the same class as the 840C (or even on the same planet), but I did at least prefer the V-DAC to the DACMagic (which isn't saying much, as the DACMagic was barely any better than my DVD player).

I am now hoping Cambridge bring out a much higher quality stand alone DAC based on the 840C. I will hold onto my V-DAC till then though, as I can't really think of anything better for the money. But that is the point - for the money.

Add, could you kindly elaborate on the audition? Was it a direct side-by-side comparison? Was it at your place using same system components, namely, using built in transport in Cambridge with DAC as the variable (DAC section in Cambridge versus VDAC plus, of course, cable to connect the VDAC to Cambridge's transport section)? Your insight would be most appreciated. Dr. Larkos

May 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #546 of 887
Hi,

Amp was a Lehmann Rhinelander, headphones were Sennheiser PXC300. For DACMagic and V-DAC, transport was Sony PCM D50 via optical. Comparison was with the 840C "standalone" (i.e I did not use it's DAC separately or it's transport only). I was specifically interested in how the 840C stacked up as a whole against a transport plus DAC combination since I am thinking of saving up for an 840C and ditching everyone else (but I also intend auditioning a Rega Apollo too if I can).

The comparison actually should have been stacked against the 840C, since my source material used with the V-DAC and DACMagic was 24-96, whereas I had to downsample it all using R8brain Pro for the 840C. The 840C still blew away the standalone DACs even after stripping down the source material to 16-44 and putting onto an optical disk versus direct reading of a memory card.

May 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #547 of 887
ADD, not trying to be a jerk, but I have noticed that you are kind of "bashing" both the DacMagic and the V-Dac when comparing it to the 840C. Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't that be expected considering the 840C is ~$1000 more expensive?

For newbies that are looking for a DAC, reading some of your remarks may push them away from these two units when the majority of people think they are fantastic because they haven't had the luxury of comparing it to a $1500 CD player.

May 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #548 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Amp was a Lehmann Rhinelander, headphones were Sennheiser PXC300. For DACMagic and V-DAC, transport was Sony PCM D50 via optical. Comparison was with the 840C "standalone" (i.e I did not use it's DAC separately or it's transport only). I was specifically interested in how the 840C stacked up as a whole against a transport plus DAC combination since I am thinking of saving up for an 840C and ditching everyone else (but I also intend auditioning a Rega Apollo too if I can).

The comparison actually should have been stacked against the 840C, since my source material used with the V-DAC and DACMagic was 24-96, whereas I had to downsample it all using R8brain Pro for the 840C. The 840C still blew away the standalone DACs even after stripping down the source material to 16-44 and putting onto an optical disk versus direct reading of a memory card.

Thanks a lot, Add. I am also contemplating purchasing the 840 but I am rather intrigued by this V-DAC phenomenom and would like to learn how they compare under proper test. The point that I would like to make is that the transport used DOES matter. The 840's specially designed chasis and transport are most likely the major reason for the unit recognized excellence. The fact that the V-DAC improves dramatically the sound of ordinary CD & DVD players does not mean that those type of transports is as far as you can or should go in your selection when matting the V-DAC to a transport. Just as a better power supply improves matters in a stock V-DAC, so will do a better transport (perhaps even more dramatically).

The audio math works like this. For all practical purposes, the DACMagic and the--also highly reviewed and awarded--Cambridge 740 CD player sound identical when the DACMagic is connected through the digital output of the 740 (using the 740's built in transport for the comparison and, of course, a decent digital interconnect). This result is documented by professional reviews and bona fide audiophiles--with the exception of upsamplig up to 384 kHz for the 740 and USB connectivity for the DACMagic, both circuits are virtually identical, using dual Wolfson WM8740 24 Bit DACs. Now, most reviewers and audiophiles prefer the V-DAC to the DACMagic (yourself among them)...see where I am going? The preceeding means that the V-DAC using the 740 as a transport (connected to the 740's digital output) most likely will be preferred to the 740 standing alone as a CD player. Now, what would happen if the V-DAC is connected to the 840 and uses the latter's much better transport and chasis combination? How would it, then, compare to the 740 and, of course, the 840 itself, both as stand-alone CD players???? That, I would say, would be a proper comparison and a proper way of evaluating the VDAC's true performance potential.

Cheers............dr.larkos

May 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #549 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.larkos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot, Add. I am also contemplating purchasing the 840 but I am rather intrigued by this V-DAC phenomenom and would like to learn how they compare under proper test. The point that I would like to make is that the transport used DOES matter. The 840's specially designed chasis and transport are most likely the major reason for the unit recognized excellence. The fact that the V-DAC improves dramatically the sound of ordinary CD & DVD players does not mean that those type of transports is as far as you can or should go in your selection when matting the V-DAC to a transport. Just as a better power supply improves matters in a stock V-DAC, so will do a better transport (perhaps even more dramatically).

The audio math works like this. For all practical purposes, the DACMagic and the--also highly reviewed and awarded--Cambridge 740 CD player sound identical when the DACMagic is connected through the digital output of the 740 (using the 740's built in transport for the comparison and, of course, a decent digital interconnect). This result is documented by professional reviews and bona fide audiophiles--with the exception of upsamplig up to 384 kHz for the 740 and USB connectivity for the DACMagic, both circuits are virtually identical, using dual Wolfson WM8740 24 Bit DACs. Now, most reviewers and audiophiles prefer the V-DAC to the DACMagic (yourself among them)...see where I am going? The preceeding means that the V-DAC using the 740 as a transport (connected to the 740's digital output) most likely will be preferred to the 740 standing alone as a CD player. Now, what would happen if the V-DAC is connected to the 840 and uses the latter's much better transport and chasis combination? How would it, then, compare to the 740 and, of course, the 840 itself, both as stand-alone CD players???? That, I would say, would be a proper comparison and a proper way of evaluating the VDAC's true performance potential.

Cheers............dr.larkos

I agree with dr Larkos, maybe ADD can connect his V-DAC to the 840 and listen again.
I connected my v-dac to my marantz CD-17 and a Squeezebox and in both cases the SQ improved both in detail and soundstage. The squeezebox won the battle.

May 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #550 of 887
Is there any 'audio maths'? I do NOT think so!

And this is were the problem is in fact... Don't get me wrong Dr.L, I got your message and D_D is right too, if V-DAC is apples then 840C is oranges...

But I think it is a good exercise of sanity what ADD said: too much times a cheap unit is taken as a giantkiller, just to be another decent cheap unit after the dust settles.

As for myself, and as stated around here some pages back, I compared my V-DAC to my G08 (using the Meridian as transport off course) and it was not that far away -if a bit different-, so 'yes', with this little MF wonder we can have over 90% of the max digital source quality available. Will it 'kill' any source under 5k or even 10k? No. But many sources around 1k can be embarrassed, and I think this is praise enough. CA 804C is not just another 1k source, is one of the better ones! If you can have it, go ahead and do not look back, but even then I must say for some people with some equipment and some music, the 840C may sound less likely to their taste than the V-DAC. It is not ADD's case obviously. Fine.

Best
Josep

May 8, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #551 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, and besides some other considerations, the biggest V-DAC 'limitation' is its internal switching PS for the analog rails (the supply of +V and -V to the opamps)

Hello
did anybody else this mods? (replace the two LMC7660)

thanks

May 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #552 of 887
Hi effi,
Sorry, not me, my idea is that this is the point were one has got too far with modding and needs, at least, one week of just listening to music and far away from the soldering iron and desoldering pump
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw the 7660s just create the -V analog rail.

May 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #553 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any 'audio maths'? I do NOT think so!

And this is were the problem is in fact... Don't get me wrong Dr.L, I got your message and D_D is right too, if V-DAC is apples then 840C is oranges...

But I think it is a good exercise of sanity what ADD said: too much times a cheap unit is taken as a giantkiller, just to be another decent cheap unit after the dust settles.

As for myself, and as stated around here some pages back, I compared my V-DAC to my G08 (using the Meridian as transport off course) and it was not that far away -if a bit different-, so 'yes', with this little MF wonder we can have over 90% of the max digital source quality available. Will it 'kill' any source under 5k or even 10k? No. But many sources around 1k can be embarrassed, and I think this is praise enough. CA 804C is not just another 1k source, is one of the better ones! If you can have it, go ahead and do not look back, but even then I must say for some people with some equipment and some music, the 840C may sound less likely to their taste than the V-DAC. It is not ADD's case obviously. Fine.

Best
Josep

Hi, Joseph. You are right, "audio math" was meant as a figure of speech...it meant carrying logic as far as one could...if logic has anything to do with anything. Within the context here, it has to do with the direction of logical thought in qualitative analysis, not the ability to quantify the size of the steps taken in that direction.

Bottom line, if the V-DAC has to be connected to a rather sophisticated and EXPENSIVE transport to hold its own against a "giant" reference CD player (an all-in-one transport/DAC assembly), then, of course, the V-DAC is not a killer of "giant" reference CD players (since the V-DAC/transport combination required is another "giant" in itself)....but, that does not mean that the V-DAC may not possibly be the equal or even the killer of a few "giant" DACs out there (plain DACs, no integrated transport)...the apples and oranges you mentioned but from a slightly different perspective.

Incidentally, the Play Back review that Add provided a preview link for came out this morning online. It is a rave review, but the reviewer, Chris Marten (of Absolute Sound fame and the magazine's editor), used for both as a transport and as a comparison reference the $7000 Musical Fidelity kW trivista SACD/CD player....so, I gather, this may help to stress the point I am trying to make.

In ay event, if one already owns or can get a relatively inexpensive, used, quality transport (a dedicated one or as part of a "fallen giant" CD player that went out of favor because of obsolescence at the DAC level), adding a V-DAC may prove to be a true value proposition (I surmise, as close to a "giant killer" as one may get here).

Cheers..............dr.larkos

May 9, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #554 of 887
Regarding the perceived invalidity of my comparisons of the V-DAC (or DACMagic) to considerably more expensive components, I am not sure I accept the criticism for doing so.

I'm getting criticised here for comparing cheap DACs to high-middle range CD players, but being told at the same time that I should use more expensive transports with the V-DAC to make the comparison fair.

The Editor of the highly respected Hi Fi News, on page 37 of the February 2009 issue speaks of the "...giant killing £200 DACMagic..." and that "it's sees off most competition below £1000...". Last time I checked, an 840C sold for considerably less than £1000, even at official retail prices. And you get a free, high quality CD transport with that.

Additionally, I have also stated on these forums that the integrated DAC in my $300 US Microtrack II field recorder is considerably better than either the V-DAC or DACMagic. How much do you think a stand-alone DAC based on the DAC inside a cheap field recorder with a $220 US street price would cost?

And in a recent audition of an NAD C545BEE CD player (around the same price as a DACMagic), I thought I would be better off buying that than a separate budget DAC / transport combination.

Regarding using better transports, I am well aware of that, but I also stated that I am more interested in the practical results in real world situations where the V-DAC or DACMagic are likely to be used. And that is to connect to an existing transport, connected to a PC or connected to some sort of modest-spec non-disk based transport such as a portable playback device that happens to possess an optical or coax output. If we start saying things like it's unfair to use a cheap transport, then I would want to consider the price of a V-DAC / DACMagic as well as the transport, and then compare that to a comparably priced integrated unit such as a CD player.

Can they really be used to improve old CD players and transports? Not really in my opinion, unless it was a bad player to begin with (and that being the case, it goes against the V-DAC-needs-a-great-transport argument to reveal it's potential).

But more importantly, I just see both the V-DAC and DACMagic as a waste of money in hindsight. Use it with an existing transport and when the transport dies, you are up for the cost of a new player or transport anyway. I think it is better economy to save the money that would have been spent on the DAC and putting that towards a much classier component. In the end you are spending around the same money (versus buying a V-DAC then upgrading the transport down the track) and getting much better sound at the end, with the downside of having to put up with your existing setup till you can afford a good player.

Whilst I may appear on these forums to be the kid who does not want to play ball, I am also writing from expensive experience. I bought the V-DAC and initially thought it was great because it improved the analogue output of my Sony PCM D50 transport (in hindsight, that was not a very hard thing to ask of it). But there is always a love affair with any new component that simply achieves nothing more than to change the sound of one's system, even if it ends up actually just being a sidewise step (a change is as good as a holiday so they say).

You only have to look at the people who have bought and sold DACMagics and V-DACs (myself included), who, after the love affair, got down to it and were able to make an unemotional comparison between a budget DAC and a half-decent integrated solution and / or were given the opportunity to see what is achievable in an integrated solution that costs not a whole lot more than a budget DAC and a decent transport put together.

And then there are the endless tweaking posts in both the V-DAC and DACMagic threads. There is no need to fiddle with a component if it sounds good. The tweaking comes under so much discussion because deep down (whether owners want to admit it or not), they are outgrowing these budget components. How many tweaking threads do we see in relation to components that you pay a lot more for? How many 840C tweak threads for example? About the only tweak that has reached any consensus is that it needs a lot of burn-in, and that isn't really even a tweak.

With the V-DAC and DACMagic, we have people pulling them apart, replacing caps and other parts left right and centre, changing op amps and mucking around with power supplies (guilty as charged for the power supply). It's almost starting to remind me of the tweaks to the old MF V3 headphone amps, where practically everything except the RCA sockets were replaced.

The professional HiFi Magazines ought to plead guilty to way over hyping these budget DACs before I am prepared to plead guilty to excessive dissension
smily_headphones1.gif
I can certainly understand purchasing a V-DAC or DACMagic to improve the sound out of a laptop computer, but even then there is a lot of competition in terms of alternatives. I can't understand using a V-DAC or DACMagic with a full-blown PC, because you can buy an Asus Xonar Essence soundcard for less than half the price. It's internal DAC sounds better to me than either the DACMagic or V-DAC, plus it has both optical and coaxial digital outputs if you want to use a really good quality DAC.

That sort of leaves the V-DAC and DACMagic as orphans. Not good enough to outdo a good integrated CD player and not really any better than the best available internal soundcards these days either.

May 9, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #555 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.larkos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that the V-DAC improves dramatically the sound of ordinary CD & DVD players does not mean that those type of transports is as far as you can or should go in your selection when matting the V-DAC to a transport.

That is not actually a fact unless all that matters are lab results. Improvements perceived by the listener can only be measured as a subejctive response on the part of an individual. That is why low powered, high quality tube amplifiers, etc can subjectively sound wonderful, though they measure worse in a lab than a decent solid state design.

My opinion is that these budget DACs change the sound and that the change in sound is simply a pychoacoustic response that is perceived as an improvement (I paid x$ for this component, it sounds different, it's new, people tell me it is better, all the magazines say it is better, so it must be better).

But sadly, many budget giant killers - and I include these DACs in that category - do not improve things in terms of long term contentment for the listener who lives with the component day after day, week after week.

At least that is my experience along with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back