Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Any Impressions?
Oct 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #31 of 66
Hahah, so do I. =D I have a feeling that the instruments sound a bit more separated from each other, which is great... But it´s just a feeling and might be placebo. I need to get back to this after a good while and try with X-CAN V8P´s internal DAC.

EDIT: Drums also seem to be damn punchy, but it´s not like I remember each song exactly...

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #32 of 66

Quote:
Well I hope the M1 turns out to be more than a bigger box and black paint
wink.gif

I really don't want to be the guy who pops into a thread to insult the product..... but your above quote is pretty much my exact opinion of the M1. I had a demo loaner from a local shop for a few weeks, was considering buying it. I then got to compare it directly with a V-DAC/V-PSU combo that I borrowed from a friend. The M1 went back unpurchased.

To me, the V series combo sounded pretty much identical to the M1. It's a very pleasing sound, and will probably satisfy a lot of people (consider the numerous happy V-DAC owners)..... I just question the value of it. The V-DAC/V-PSU combo is $550 msrp, so I guess another $150 for a very nice looking case and balanced option is reasonable, but in the grand scheme of things I think there is a lot more out there for that kind of money.

On the plus side, it really is an excellent looking product. I love the was they integrated it with the same aesthetic as the other M series components. I also like the form factor; it is small enough to fit most anywhere, yet large enough to have a commanding presence. If I hadn't heard the V series gear I think I might have been more impressed with the M1.

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #33 of 66
I'm really enjoying the MF M1 paired with the PS Audio GHCA, and to be totally forthcoming I received mine at a discount as it was open box at a discount (used for photo shoot at at one of the mail order shops). So for a little over $1,000.00 I'm happy with this two box system. Could I have done better for the same $1,000.00 with a headphone/DAC combo? I'm sure someone here will let me know, and I will thank them for the advice. As money and interest allows I know I can sell or trade and upgrade a box at a time. So no regrets and I'm glad to hear even more opinions on the M1. Note my original statement, "Well I hope the M1 turns out to be more than a bigger box and black paint 
wink.gif
" did have a smiley on it. I want to make sure everyone knows I didn't want to prevent people from checking out the M1 for themselves. As I said I am really liking it. I liked it so much I spent many hours taking my 500+ CD's and re-ripping them AIFF.

Quote:

I really don't want to be the guy who pops into a thread to insult the product..... but your above quote is pretty much my exact opinion of the M1. I had a demo loaner from a local shop for a few weeks, was considering buying it. I then got to compare it directly with a V-DAC/V-PSU combo that I borrowed from a friend. The M1 went back unpurchased.

To me, the V series combo sounded pretty much identical to the M1. It's a very pleasing sound, and will probably satisfy a lot of people (consider the numerous happy V-DAC owners)..... I just question the value of it. The V-DAC/V-PSU combo is $550 msrp, so I guess another $150 for a very nice looking case and balanced option is reasonable, but in the grand scheme of things I think there is a lot more out there for that kind of money.

On the plus side, it really is an excellent looking product. I love the was they integrated it with the same aesthetic as the other M series components. I also like the form factor; it is small enough to fit most anywhere, yet large enough to have a commanding presence. If I hadn't heard the V series gear I think I might have been more impressed with the M1.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 66

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the MF M1 paired with the PS Audio GHCA, and to be totally forthcoming I received mine at a discount as it was open box at a discount (used for photo shoot at at one of the mail order shops). So for a little over $1,000.00 I'm happy with this two box system. Could I have done better for the same $1,000.00 with a headphone/DAC combo? I'm sure someone here will let me know, and I will thank them for the advice. As money and interest allows I know I can sell or trade and upgrade a box at a time. So no regrets and I'm glad to hear even more opinions on the M1. Note my original statement, "Well I hope the M1 turns out to be more than a bigger box and black paint 
wink.gif
" did have a smiley on it. I want to make sure everyone knows I didn't want to prevent people from checking out the M1 for themselves. As I said I am really liking it. I liked it so much I spent many hours taking my 500+ CD's and re-ripping them AIFF.

Excellent reply. Just because I was not in love with it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it (which it sounds like you are). We do seem to focus too much around here on having the absolute best.... best overall performance, best performance for the price, whatever. I like seeing someone just enjoy what they got regardless.

I was kind of regretting my post yesterday, but now that I've seen your reply I don't feel so bad. The M1 could be the perfect choice for some people, it just wasn't a match for me.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #35 of 66
Damn I love this setup at the moment! =D Soundstage is nice and spacious to me, and there´s very nice bass and mid-bass. I´m starting to feel pretty confident that certain songs really sound more clear and detailed also. Not regretting this.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #36 of 66
Thanks all. I do agree personal tastes, experience and pocketbook all play into how much people like a product. I think I'm going to like the M1 even more if I can get my hands on the MF V-Link already mentioned on this site, with this link:

http://theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2010/rmaf2010_hp_musical_fidelity.htm

So, the bigger box (as compared to the V-DAC) is magic for me as I listen to Judith Owen's The Beautiful Damage Collection CD
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #37 of 66
I pretty concur with the positive views on the M1 DAC.
I recently purchased the Musical Fidelity M1 Headphone amp partnered with the DAC.

Most of my listening has been using Grado GS1000i listening to ipod Classic, WAV or Apple lossless files,
sent via Wadia 170 digital dock to the Musical Fidelity DAC and then to the M1 HPA.

This is without debt my best headphone listening experience so far, the whole set up, including cables, cost
me around 3,000 pounds but it compares very well with my Hi -Fi set up which cost me nearer 20K.

I am a Musical Fidelity fan and have been using them on and off for 20 years now. My only
real complaint would be they replace products too quickly. There seems to be a new product
every month.

I would recommend the DAC wholeheartedly.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #40 of 66

Quote:

I was really interested in some comparisons of the M1 amp with other amps such as the PS Audio, Concerto, Auditor and Gilmore Lite. What experience do you have with other amps? I'm interested in your impressions. In the appropriate forum of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 66
cheznous,

Did you compare the DACs in both units?

Quote:
I pretty concur with the positive views on the M1 DAC.
I recently purchased the Musical Fidelity M1 Headphone amp partnered with the DAC.

Most of my listening has been using Grado GS1000i listening to ipod Classic, WAV or Apple lossless files,
sent via Wadia 170 digital dock to the Musical Fidelity DAC and then to the M1 HPA.

This is without debt my best headphone listening experience so far, the whole set up, including cables, cost
me around 3,000 pounds but it compares very well with my Hi -Fi set up which cost me nearer 20K.

I am a Musical Fidelity fan and have been using them on and off for 20 years now. My only
real complaint would be they replace products too quickly. There seems to be a new product
every month.

I would recommend the DAC wholeheartedly.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #42 of 66
Hi,
Need some advice on upgrading my headphone rig. Musical Fidelity M1 HPA, Denon AH-D5000.

I´m planing to buy my first dac to go w MF M1 HPA and I have a hard time to decide. All my music are in alac and no plans to go HD tracks.

My thoughts: 
MF M1: Perfect fit for my M1 HPA, lots of input that i´m not going to use. Why pay for it then? V-dac on a fancy box w psu upgrade?
HRT Streamer II+: Fits my needs, usb input. Save me some $. No need for psu. Portable.
Unfortunately I dont have any time to compair them my self.

Anyone compair M1 DAC w HRT Streamer II+?
Is it big difference in in sound quality between them?

Thank you!

Sorry for poor English.

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #43 of 66
According to Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/content/musical-fidelity-m1-dac , it not only is close to state of the art as far as measurements are concerned, but it does also sound very good.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #44 of 66
As a previous owner of a high-end audioshop i can say that this DAC is very good value for the money. i have it paired with the m2tech EVO and the combo produce a very nice sound.

I have heard many DAC's in the last decade. what it comes down to is that the synergy has to be there with all components. I will purchase the Woo Audio when it comes out en will compare the two.
Since i now have to buy for almost full retail instead of half the money or less when i had the shop i choose my setup very carefully. The MF DAC M1 does the job.... very well.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #45 of 66
broken arrow, I'm glad to hear that it the m1dac holds its own in your setup. If its good enough for your wa5-le then its surely good enough for my wa22. I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back