Musical Fidelity Claims New A5 Is Best CD Player Ever
Dec 28, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 37
Musical fidelity is company widely available in Europe.
Is around for many years.
Has a wide line of audio products.

Has good relations with the british/european audio magazines.
Advertises a lot in the magazines.

Makes well ilustrated brochures.
Has a site to help to promote/sell their products.

Every now and then, they revamp their line of products.
They make new cases for their all line, that look good.

The exterior designers did their job.
Advertising in their site, in sponsored british magazines.

The same claims of "better and cheaper",
"worth similar quality to models costing twice or more"
"based in the top models reference quality"
(like the Formula One technology applyed to the lower end cars)

And this everytime...

In the headphone amplifer department...
Was like this whith the xcanv1, xcanv2, and now xcanv3.

Reputation?
I somewhat lost my confidence in them
when saw people making their own DIY
projects and making BETTER
and CHEAPER headphone amps

I also heard better than the xcanv2/xcanv2+psu,
and found it easy,
when i had the chance to listen to other brands.

I also heard their A3 line a while back.
and after that heard better,
from companys that dont sing
"WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS... OF THE AUDIO".

I also saw that Audio Shops
have no problems in promote
Musical Fidelity products
"THEY LISTENED",
yet...
I think their eyes is on
MY WALLET...

Is it necessary to have buy/auditions
to all those products,
to be able to tell they
Play the
"BUY SUCKER"
game?
k1000smile.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 37
I talked to a MF dealer today. He took the A5 home with him over the weekend and he had nothing but praise for it. He said he has heard just about all the MF players. I specifically asked him if it was a lot better than the NuVista and he chuckeld and said it was much better. I would like to demo it in my own system, but the dealer is 2 hours from my house. I suppose I could go over there and audition it. Hopefully they would let me swipe different players in the same system so I could tell a difference. Then again, I'd like to try it in more than one system to be sure. Maybe someone else can call MF dealers in their regions and get other dealer impressions. It sucks because there is another MF dealer 5 miles from my house, but they are trying to get rid of older models before they bring any A5 demos in. They said they could get me a unit, but I'm not buying blind. Done that.

Dec 28, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #18 of 37
Wow. Sounds like this A5 might be a very amazing machine indeed. I was planning on upgrading CDPs next semester when I got back to school and had strong leanings toward a G08 or Exemplar 3190 (to take care of DVD player and redbook), but this sounds pretty amazing as well...
I wonder if MuFi dealers will give any sort of reasonable trade in on older players for it. I have a mint a308cr and if the trade up price was right I could see myself with one of these badboys in the next few weeks.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
IMO the NuVista 3d is a better redbook player than the TriVista is. I also like it more than the trivista dac21. If the new player is better than either of these, then its worth every penny of what they are asking.
I agree that claiming the new player is better than anything out there is way over the top. However as I said, it just has to be better than the NuVista 3D to be something very special. I just wish they would use balanced outputs on there players.

Tom,

As usual, I agree completely. The NuVista was brilliant, and significantly better than the TriVista, and the over rated DAC. If the new player is truly better, its amazing, and that was my point all along.

JC

Dec 28, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Tom,

As usual, I agree completely. The NuVista was brilliant, and significantly better than the TriVista, and the over rated DAC. If the new player is truly better, its amazing, and that was my point all along.

JC

JC, did you actually hear it? If so, were you able to compare it side by side to other players, especially NuVista? What were your impressions? In what way was the new player better?

Thanks

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 37
As a villain once told John Wayne in a movie "I find that pretty bold talk for an one eyed fat man!" I think that maybe MF's marketing staff should have laid off the Holiday punch bowl.
eek.gif
I'm sure the A5 is an outstanding CDP, but simple logic dictates that in the best of the best no one CDP outshines another. These machines have characteristics which simple gives each one its own outstanding personality. I find it interesting that MFs site:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en/Products/A5/a5_cd
States "In our opinion the A5 CD is the best player ever made.” While the US distributor site:
http://www.signalpathint.com/A5%20Series/A5%20CD.htm
States "In our opinion the A5 CD is the one of the best player ever made."

Personally, I hope it is a major break through. But you'll have to excuse me while I still purchase my Shanling T-100 1+ modded CDP. I think maybe with the wind at it's back and starting off on a steep hill that the modded T-100 will still hold it's own.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
JC, did you actually hear it? If so, were you able to compare it side by side to other players, especially NuVista? What were your impressions? In what way was the new player better?

Thanks

You must have misunderstood what I said, Bif. I've heard the Nu Vista, and the Tri Vista, and the Tri Vista DAC. I dont personally know of anyone who has heard the new A5. Please note below that I said "if" the new player is better.

JC

Tom,

JC

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

You must have misunderstood what I said, Bif. I've heard the Nu Vista, and the Tri Vista, and the Tri Vista DAC. I dont personally know of anyone who has heard the new A5. Please note below that I said "if" the new player is better.

JC

Thanks JC. If you get a chance to sample the player, especially if you get a chance to compare, please post your impressions.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Wow. Sounds like this A5 might be a very amazing machine indeed. I was planning on upgrading CDPs next semester when I got back to school and had strong leanings toward a G08 or Exemplar 3190 (to take care of DVD player and redbook), but this sounds pretty amazing as well...
I wonder if MuFi dealers will give any sort of reasonable trade in on older players for it. I have a mint a308cr and if the trade up price was right I could see myself with one of these badboys in the next few weeks.

Hi Gopher,

If I were u I would buy the G08 and never look back ( after auditioning it of course ). I've heard a few MF players, but after hearing the 588 - I never looked back, I seriously don't believe this new player is a big improvement over the ones I've heard - all, of course, IMHO.
And don't buy one of those universal players, if you want a redbook player buy a dedicated one - leave the DVD out of this equation.

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel
Hi Gopher,

If I were u I would buy the G08 and never look back ( after auditioning it of course ). I've heard a few MF players, but after hearing the 588 - I never looked back, I seriously don't believe this new player is a big improvement over the ones I've heard - all, of course, IMHO.
And don't buy one of those universal players, if you want a redbook player buy a dedicated one - leave the DVD out of this equation.

Axel,

Thank for the advice. The G08 really is my strongest leaning at the moment and I have had the pleasure of auditioning it on two seperate occasions. The Exemplar 3910 really seemed interesting as well--typically I wouldn't be attracted to a universal, but there are some things which make it very appealing to me (supposed to have amazing pq, wouldn't need to buy a second Wolff Source PC, only need 1 pair of interconnects, not to mention this is supposed to be a true giant-killer of a source [though I suppose it is a giant at ~4k!]).

So you said you actually heard the A5 in comparrision to some of the other players? I'd really appreciate it if you could comment on it against the a308cr.

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
So you said you actually heard the A5 in comparrision to some of the other players? I'd really appreciate it if you could comment on it against the a308cr.

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood, I haven't heard the new A5 player but I have heard the A3.2 and the Tri-vista, both are very good players the Tri-vista being a BIT better than the A3.2 - but the 588 blew them both away IMO. What I meant was that I realy don't believe the A5 is such a big improvement over these players that it can match the 588 ( or, for this matter, its replacement - the G08 ).

Happy hunting,
Axel.

P.S.
Between the both of us - nothing compares to the Scout ( vinyl rules
biggrin.gif
).

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 37
Does limpid have to do with lipids as in fats and oils? In that case, it would contribute to the exquisite fatty, oily sound.
icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #30 of 37
IMO the Trivista SACD player is marginally better than the NuVista.

I wonder how their ltd edition KW SACD player will sound? It's due to be lauched in the spring for £4000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back