Musical Fidelity Claims New A5 Is Best CD Player Ever
Dec 27, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 37
That's a bold statement they are making. I seriously doubt they are any better than naim, cyrus and all the other cd players at their price points. It might be worth me going up to my friends hi fi shop to check it out.

Dec 27, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 37
Musical Fidelity makes that claim about every new player they come out with. That's not to say that they don't make really good products, but they tend to pile it up rather thick.

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
Musical Fidelity makes that claim about every new player they come out with. That's not to say that they don't make really good products, but they tend to pile it up rather thick.

Agreed, but if this truly is significantly better then the Nu Vista and at half the price, it may be one of the greatest bargains available in the upper pantheon of players, most of which cost two or more times this price.
That player was considered amongst the best ever made by a number of quality reviewers and was one of this companies finest achievements, why would they say this one was markedly better if it isnt? There is a LOT to risk in this scenario, in particular, their reputation.

JC

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
That's a bold statement they are making. I seriously doubt they are any better than naim, cyrus and all the other cd players at their price points. It might be worth me going up to my friends hi fi shop to check it out.

Please do check it out and get back to us with your impressions. It should be very interesting.

JC

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Agreed, but if this truly is significantly better then the Nu Vista (and why would they claim that if it wasnt?) and at half the price, it may be one of the greatest bargains available in the upper pantheon of players, most of which cost two or more times this.

JC

The best cd player they have ever made was too expensive for the mass market and even if they released it at a more affordable price then they only made a certain quantity of them (tri-vista SACD).

This was their finest hour in cd manufacture. And even though it pains me to say this, it will never be bettered by MF.

Saying the new A5 is better than other manufacturers cd players is just downright arrogant. If I were to borrow the Naim cds3 and MF A5, I know which would win.

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #7 of 37
Sounds like I need to stop by my local MF dealer, see if he's got this A5 cdp available for an audition.

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Agreed, but if this truly is significantly better then the Nu Vista and at half the price, it may be one of the greatest bargains available in the upper pantheon of players, most of which cost two or more times this price.
That player was considered amongst the best ever made by a number of quality reviewers and was one of this companies finest achievements, why would they say this one was markedly better if it isnt? There is a LOT to risk in this scenario, in particular, their reputation.

JC

You're making a very definitive statement. Are you speaking based on first hand experience (have you heard it) or are you assuming that this is a potentially one of the best bargains out there?

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 37
I wonder how long will this myth stand?

will a company like Musical Fidelity
admit that they rips the consumer?

And now they say THIS is better...
...at half the price?!

Bargain or more of the same?

[size=medium]
"It is an interesting question
how far men would retain their relative rank
if they were divested of their clothes."[/size]

zu1b5

this is the insides of the MF A5 cd player...
(aka the best cd player of mankind, hehehe)
k1000smile.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCnphones
I see they're back ordered online, but does anyone know the MSRP price on one of these?

$2500, according to the December Stereophile.

Not to nitpick the thread, but MF's website says, "In our opinion the A5 CD is the best player ever made." Doesn't that acquit them of any controversy? They're entitled to their opinion, aren't they?

The way I understand it, once you get over a certain level ($1000? $2000?) all CD players are awesome, its just a matter of differences at that point. I also understand that Musical Fidelity has a distinctive "house sound". Those inclined towards the MF sound may agree that the A5 is the best cd player ever, but someone inclined towards Naim or Meridian or whatever may not...and they would all be right.

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The best cd player they have ever made was too expensive for the mass market and even if they released it at a more affordable price then they only made a certain quantity of them (tri-vista SACD).

This was their finest hour in cd manufacture. And even though it pains me to say this, it will never be bettered by MF.

Saying the new A5 is better than other manufacturers cd players is just downright arrogant. If I were to borrow the Naim cds3 and MF A5, I know which would win.

IMO the NuVista 3d is a better redbook player than the TriVista is. I also like it more than the trivista dac21. If the new player is better than either of these, then its worth every penny of what they are asking.
I agree that claiming the new player is better than anything out there is way over the top. However as I said, it just has to be better than the NuVista 3D to be something very special. I just wish they would use balanced outputs on there players.

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

They have made some great players, including the Nu Vista, but claim that this new one tops them all, and everyone elses too, apparently. And at HALF the price of the Nu Vista. Interesting, to say the least.
Does anyone here have one yet?

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en/Products/A5/a5_cd
JC

I have heard some of their players and DACs. They sound good, but I think MF is hyped too much. They allways build a player that they claim is as good as 2-3 times more expensive players. Then after a while, they build another and that costs less than the previous and claim it's even better than that. And soon after comes and even cheaper, yet supposed to be better. Sadly some magazines seem to go along with this, writing reviews promoting MF nearly to godhood.

They make good players, but too much hype makes them lose credibility in my eyes. And I don't think their price-to-quality ratio is that special either.

Dec 28, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
IMO the NuVista 3d is a better redbook player than the TriVista is. I also like it more than the trivista dac21. If the new player is better than either of these, then its worth every penny of what they are asking.
I agree that claiming the new player is better than anything out there is way over the top. However as I said, it just has to be better than the NuVista 3D to be something very special. I just wish they would use balanced outputs on there players.

That's so true How come on their flagship player (tri-vista) they didn't use balanced outputs? It made my Nordost Valhalla XLR cables as useful as a choclate teapot.

If they can stick balanced connections on grace 901 amp or a dac 1 then they sure as hell can stick it on their cdplayers. But most UK manufacturers do that, arcam, cyrus etc/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back