Musical Cans?
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #77 of 95
Thanks, good to know and good shout. Something different it is :)

Cheers
I still think u should change your amp before u buy another headphone. The hd6xx is one of the most musical headphones out there, your amp/dac is bottlenecking it though.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #78 of 95
I still think u should change your amp before u buy another headphone. The hd6xx is one of the most musical headphones out there, your amp/dac is bottlenecking it though.
Yeah i think you might be right, So the amp i have is the Yamaha AS-701, and not sure whether to keep it or not. The reason i got it was for the Kef r300 i have. This also drives my deck which is the Denon DP400. So i guess i might keep it for them. So i guess the hole is the Dac, and i did order one which should arrive today. I did some reading up, its cheap and cheerful Topping e30. audioscience reviews rated it so will see how it sounds prior to the LD mk2. Then i guess, well if its not good enough then something like a Shiit dac. I have been eyeing up the LD MK6/8 for a while, but would need a good Dac to accompany this..

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #79 of 95
Yeah i think you might be right, So the amp i have is the Yamaha AS-701, and not sure whether to keep it or not. The reason i got it was for the Kef r300 i have. This also drives my deck which is the Denon DP400. So i guess i might keep it for them. So i guess the hole is the Dac, and i did order one which should arrive today. I did some looking up its cheap and cheerful Topping e30. audioscience reviews rated it so will see how it sounds prior to the LD mk2. Then i guess, well if its not good enough then something like a Shiit dac. I have been eyeing up the LD MK6/8 for a while, but would need a good Dac to accompany this..

Topping not a good sounding dac/amp (pretty much opposite of musical), and website you mentioned very misguided. Oh dear :frowning2:

Not sure why u didn't take product advice given on previous page rather than tossing money in the fire heh

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #80 of 95
Topping not a good sounding dac, and website you mentioned very misguided. Oh dear :frowning2:

Not sure why u didn't take product advice given on previous page rather than tossing money in the fire heh
It was more spur of the moment purchase this morning. If its that bad then, i'll return it :)
thanks for letting me know, I though audio science reviews were quite legit?

Thanks

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #81 of 95
It was more spur of the moment purchase this morning. If its that bad then, i'll return it :)
thanks for letting me know, I though audio science reviews were quite legit?

Thanks

Not particularly

Their measurements are often off-base and the conclusions don't align with reality. The guy who does most of the measurements is heavily promoted by the parent company of topping/smsl (on their official blog frequently)

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #86 of 95
Which implies that the transients of the music are hitting over 121dB so your listening level is dangerously loud.

A safe listening level is no more than about 90dB SPL. Perhaps transients hit 100dB, requiring about 2mW for a HD6xx, 150 times less than the amp is capable of.

People are kidding themselves that they need watts of power or tens of volts available for their headphones. Sure, the amplifier needs voltage headroom internally to keep distortion low, but a +/-9V supply (giving say, at least +/-6V output at low distortion) is overkill for 99.9% of headphones. It think many people have bought into the myth that amplifiers sound better if they have ridiculous power outputs.

Over 100mW is entering blowing up your headphone drivers territory and it takes far less than that to irreversibly damage your hearing.

The fact you can't get your math to work does not mean what I said isn't the case. There is definitely a difference between how poorly or well Sennheisers sound depending on the amp and high power solid state or tube OTLs work with them well for that reason.

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #87 of 95
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #88 of 95
I would pick up the Project Ember and Schiit Modius I linked on previous page of you want to start seeing potential of your headphones. You could also save a bit and get similar sound with Project Horizon + Schitt Modi but the former combo will give you more future flexibility.
Cool, yeah i was liking the look of the Bitfrost. ability to switch out the boards adds to longevity and flexibility going forward - future proofing. Are you not a fan of the LD MK2 or are they just not very good in your view? I am currently running sylvania silver caps 6sn7 and mullard 8038, sound pretty darn smooth.

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #89 of 95
Cool, yeah i was liking the look of the Bitfrost. ability to switch out the boards adds to longevity and flexibility going forward - future proofing. Are you not a fan of the LD MK2 or are they just not very good in your view? I am currently running sylvania silver caps 6sn7 and mullard 8038, sound pretty darn smooth.

It's not a great amp for hd650 imo

The aforementioned Project Horizon III is cheap and good sounding. Ember also good if you want a little more future-looking flexibility with headphones other than the hd650 (like grado or focal), but some think the horizon III sounds slightly better than ember w/ hd650.

The next step up from horizon/ember I'd consider Liquid Platinum , but for that you need to also buy a balanced 4 pin xlr headphone cable for hd650 which runs around 150 or so

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #90 of 95
It's not a great amp for hd650 imo

The aforementioned Project Horizon III is cheap and good sounding. Ember also good if you want a little more future-looking flexibility with headphones other than the hd650 (like grado or focal), but some think the horizon III sounds slightly better than ember w/ hd650.

The next step up from horizon I'd consider Liquid Platinum , but for that you need to also buy a balanced 4 pin xlr headphone cable for hd650 which runs around 150 or so
Ok thanks, noted! thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back