Music with high quality recording
May 7, 2010 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I am always in search of new music I can listen to with my setup.  The kind of music that I really like is natural acoustic sounds.  I really like how Eric Clapton and Nirvana unplugged were both recorded.  They sounded very natural and were very good albums to test my headphone setup.  I also think the way Diana Krull albums were recored with quality in mind.  For classical, I like Goldberg Variations by Glenn Guild, I can hear him humming to piano playing.
smile.gif
  Can you guys recommend other albums that were recorded with such quality?

May 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 74
Clapton's albums from the past decade or so have had nice and clear recording.

I love how most of Toumani Diabte's albums are recorded... Usually very clear and natural. It's hard to find his albums at most big box stores, but if you know a good music store, they'll usually have him. Michael Hedges is my favorite artist for testing acoustic response-- I'm a little undecided as to the quality of his recordings, but goddamn, I still find his cover of Zappa's Sofa Suite No.1 to be the go-to song of natural acoustic sound through the headphones I've tested on it.

May 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 74
Awesome off the shelf CD's (easily found and cheap):

Paul Simon - Graceland - original release - not the digipack remaster although I like it as well.
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Legacy re-issue)
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Dave Brubeck - Time Out (Legacy re-issue)
TOOL - Aenima
The Beatles - Mono Box
Any of the Capitol Collectors Series issues (esp. Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole)

May 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 74
There has got to be more high quality recordings out there.

May 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 74
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (XRCD)
Getz/Gilberto - self titled
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Greatest Hits Vol. 2
Tracy Chapman - Telling Stories
Arnes - Jazz at the Pawnshop
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Re-master)
Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Steely Dan - Aja
Rage Against the Machine - self titled

May 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 74
Here are a few that come to my mind.

Lou Reed/John Cale - Songs for Drella
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Björk - (Volta, Vespertine, Homogenic)
Elvis Costello - This Years Model (Rykodisk)
Yes - Fragile (Rhino)

May 24, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 74
Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit (MFSL).  Quite unbelievable for such an old recording IMO.

Everything is there: The highs, mids, lows en very nice soundstage.

May 24, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 74
Quote:
Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit (MFSL).  Quite unbelievable for such an old recording IMO.

Everything is there: The highs, mids, lows en very nice soundstage.

You are definitely right about that!  It sounds phenomenal.  That recording is a work of art.  Thanks for the suggestion.

May 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 74
Recommendations regarding high quality acoustic recordings and awesome female singers:

Eva Cassidy - Live At Blues Alley
Alison Krauss & Union State - Live

smile_phones.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 74
Didn't see much listed up there that I didn't expect to see listed (definitely a nod to the Tom Waits, I don't expect to see him listed anywhere despite my belief that he's a national treasure), so I'll toss in a couple off the beaten path:

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static: It's recorded pretty unapologetically, which means humming amps, distant guitars and echo that tells you a bit about the studio itself. Gladly, the techs didn't get overzealous about it and left all the warmth and depth intact. You might hate Jack, but it's nice to see a modern mainstream album that isn't crammed in to the top 10% of the volume at all ranges, or worse, brickwalled and clipped.

Slightly Stoopid - Everything You Need: I found this album charming when I heard it through crappy earbuds, same in the car, and then when I listened to it through some real gear I could no longer listen to it any other way. It just has beautiful layering that requires good detail to separate.

Keb' Mo' - self titled': Just simple clean bluesy recording. Feels pretty untouched.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago: I don't know a thing about this album or who put it together, but it's a bit unconventional. It's recorded as perfectly crisp and clean in some places as anything could be, and flattened out to mud in others. If it's your thing you can find some gold in there.

Ani Difranco - Revelling/Reckoning: Very acoustic, very simple, mostly raw. Sounds like she do in real life.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 74

Quote:

Keb' Mo' - self titled': Just simple clean bluesy recording. Feels pretty untouched.

One of the worst recordings out there on CD. Well, the recording is actually fantastic but the mastering on the CD version just blows monkey chunks. Compressed and distorted sound. If you really want to hear what this really sounds like, you need to track down a mint vinyl pressing.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 74

Quote:

One of the worst recordings out there on CD. Well, the recording is actually fantastic but the mastering on the CD version just blows monkey chunks. Compressed and distorted sound. If you really want to hear what this really sounds like, you need to track down a mint vinyl pressing.

Oh yeah? I only have a digital version, it must not be what made it to the CD pressing. I retract my claim, unless you can find an un-ruined version. Now I'm going to have to go track down the physical CD just to see what happened.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 74
One that I think sounds very good:

Supertramp -- Crime of the Century

Users who are viewing this thread

Back