Music with high quality recording
Sep 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #61 of 74
I just returned from LA (vacation) and I hunted for some Record stores and found "AMOEBA" Lps, Cds and just about anything else that's ever been recorded, NEW and USED Stuff........Great "Bricks and Mortar" Music store....Give it a visit if you're ever out west......ANYWAY I picked up a great sounding LP....John Lee Hooker "The Healer" on the last of the CLASSIC RECORDS "CLARITY VINYL 45rpm Series"  This LP set is one of those 4 clear vinyl, one sided 200gram pressings....I enjoy the sound a lot more then my original vinyl copy of the same title.  I love the sound but to be truthful it's a bitch getting up to switch sides, damn near right after just starting side one!!! But Hey, I'm a Vinyl Guy and the sound is worth it........IMO, PS anyone else have the other TITLES on this labels last pressings?????    

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #63 of 74
UH HUH!!!

Quote:
Isn't Amoeba wonderful? I love that place! A couple others I visit are Record Surplus on Pico and Soundsations in Westchester.

I couldn't believe that place! It was like going back to the "Record Stores" good old days, only with all or most of the new technology...DVD-audio disc, SACD, movies. you name it! Uncle Erik, you're right-on again, "Wonderful".....Place indeed......

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #65 of 74

Quote:
Guess none of you happened to catch Richard Thompson doing a free solo show at Ameoba a week or so ago?

- Ed

NO, I wasn't in town then.....What store was he performing at?  I did hear a lot of positive remarks about their live shows........ I want to go back, How can I survive in Ohio, after being on the coast for 10 days......The wife's ready also......

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #66 of 74
Hi everyone, just wanted to check in with you music connoisseurs: how is the "Very Best of the Eagles" as far as recording quality is concerned? Just bought it and it sounds like electric guitar distorts (in a bad way) in 'Peaceful Easy Feeling' during the solo.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #67 of 74

Quote:
Hi everyone, just wanted to check in with you music connoisseurs: how is the "Very Best of the Eagles" as far as recording quality is concerned? Just bought it and it sounds like electric guitar distorts (in a bad way) in 'Peaceful Easy Feeling' during the solo.

It's ok. Definitely not as bad as most modern stuff. If you want to hear the Eagles at their best, try to find "Hotel California" and "Greatest Hits" that was released by DCC.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #69 of 74

Quote:
Thanks for your input LFF. And, might I add, I really enjoyed reading your posts on high quality recordings from the current decade (other thread)!

Thanks.

You really must pick up both of those DCC releases if you are a fan of the Eagles. Essential IMHO.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #70 of 74

Quote:
It's ok. Definitely not as bad as most modern stuff. If you want to hear the Eagles at their best, try to find "Hotel California" and "Greatest Hits" that was released by DCC.

Yea Man!  You got those copies right LFF...The "DCC" Vinyl is out of print but it blows away my copy of Hotel California on "Mobile Fidelity" Vinyl. If you can find any DCC LPs buy them.....I got mine when they 1st came out, (LUCKY)...Now, they're Big bucks! I just saw a sealed "Hotel California" for $375.00...The MO-FI copy brings about the same $$$$.. Steve Hoffman did the DCC releases, didn't he??

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #71 of 74

Quote:
Yea Man!  You got those copies right LFF...The "DCC" Vinyl is out of print but it blows away my copy of Hotel California on "Mobile Fidelity" Vinyl. If you can find any DCC LPs buy them.....I got mine when they 1st came out, (LUCKY)...Now, they're Big bucks! I just saw a sealed "Hotel California" for $375.00...The MO-FI copy brings about the same $$$$.. Steve Hoffman did the DCC releases, didn't he??

I think the DCC LP's were done by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. The DCC Gold CD's were done by Steve Hoffman.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #72 of 74
My Contribution, I just picked this up yesterday.
Little Big Town - The Reason Why

r

Found out about the album whilst reading a review on a pair of Creative Aurvana 2's here

"I started my listening tests with the latest release from Little Big Town titled The Reason Why.  Producer Wayne Kirkpatrick has once again created a vocal masterpiece with the amazing palate of talent from Karen Fairchild, Kimberly Schlapman, Jimi Westbrook, and Phillip Sweet.  Not since the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac has there been a better group of singers together in a band churning out great "California Country" music.  The title track finds each vocal and instrument sitting perfectly in a huge sound stage that explodes with the first chorus of harmony vocals. "

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #73 of 74

Quote:

Kevin Gilbert was a genius.  I don't remember that cd being one of the better sounding ones, but I'll have to revisit and see! I like later material more; and Kevin at least *talks* about how much compression he uses when producing, because he likes that sound. I still thought "Thud" sounded great, though. Thanks for the reminder to revisit this stuff.

The Shaming of the True is also an amazing recording. If you don't own a copy of this album, get it.

What's astonishing is that it was all pulled together (in no small part by Nick D'Virgilio of Spock's Beard) after KG died.

Some of the small atmospherics (rain, traffic, footsteps) are beautifully utilized.

"Long Days Life", is a masterwork........

"Oh no, I’m lost and all alone 
Battered and broken and scarred to the bone 
Oh love, you’ve never been a friend 
But if you’re still listening I’m here at the end 
Help me, I’ve lost my way again 
Wandering blindly I wait at the end of a long day’s life"

-KG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back