Music with drums, drums, and yes, more Drums!!??
Dec 4, 2003 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I need some recommendations for music that has some really NICE drum lines, drum solos, or maybe even music that features solely drums?? Not steel drums or african type drums/bongos, but something like a regular drumset. I love that sound
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks much

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 14
Any Led Zep for Bonham, or the Who for Keith Moon is great (check out Who's Next), maybe Rush has a lot drums. I haven't heard it myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about Planet Drum, by one of the members of the grateful Dead (not a dead head myself). Nirvana Nevermind for Dave Grohl.

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Anything by Kodo! They are a Japanese drum ensemble featuring primarily, mostly exclusively, drums.

Zakir Hussein, Indian Tabla drummer, has released a few drums-only/mainly albums. My favourite is 'Energy'--hard to find--but he's got some others too.

Another one is 'Drumming around the World', Latisphere LAT1012.

Another one is called 'Rauk'--I've been looking for this but have not yet found a copy.

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 14
Indeed markl, Planet Drum is good stuff! The original album by that name is great.

Also 'Dafos', produced by Mickey Hart, who did a lot with Planet Drum, has super sound quality.

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 14
This is definitely a recommendation from left-field, but do check it out.

Apoptose - Blutopfer

To quote the press release: "... for on "blutopfer" a special ritual of the south is celebrated: the easter drumming processions of the little spanish village of calanda."

An enchanting disc, for sure. The drumming is hypnotic.

There are MP3 samples at the link, so you can't lose.
cool.gif

- Chris

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 14
Check out the Dave Weckl band sometime...it's fusion Jazz (don't care for much jazz myself, but...). The guy is incredible...frequently referred to as one of the greatest drummers alive today (at least by those that have heard him)

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 14
Buy Led Zeppelins How the West is Won. There is a 19 minute long drum solo on one of the discs, its insane. I'd also second The Who's Keith Moon who is by far my favorite drummer.

Dec 4, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 14
Tortoise is one of the defining post-rock bands, and they are essentially defined by their drums -- they use them to carry the most important parts of their music. Their music is laid-back, sophisticated, and musically complex. It is also extremely engaging and catchy -- it is really worth listening to if you like drums. The best album is called TNT. It is worth its weight in gold.

Dec 4, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 14
Magic77 and Stuart are right on. In a similar veign, I recently had a chance to attend a concert from the Chicago Underground Duo. Chad Taylor, their drummer, is incredible! Probably the best drummer I've ever seen. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but since you didn't mention any genre... Their album is entitled "Axis and Alignment"

Another recent addiction of mine is a band called "I am kloot" (the name should raise a few eyebrows with Dutch speakers). Their album "Natural History" is awesome, with a very prominent place in the mix for drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back