Music, Where did you get it?
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:
Country music on LP contains real treasures. It's only modern country that sucks.
Johnny Cash, the Louvin Brothers, Buck Owens, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, The Osborne Broters, George Jones, Marty Robbins, Hank Thompson, Hank Williams, Ray Price...
You really don't know what you're missing.

Thanks for posting that. It reminded me that I needed to listen to the "When I Stop Dreaming: The Best of The Louvin Brothers" CD I got a while ago. It was great.

I used to be in all country sucks camp too. I've never been so wrong about something in my life.  In the last couple years I've listened to more country than other genre.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #33 of 49
Me too.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 49
I love classical music, and there are some tremendous bargains to be had at Amazon Germany and Spain. Shipping isn't too bad either. They get a lot of stuff we don't in the US.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:
This. If only itunes store was of apple lossless files. But I won't "buy" albums that are hard to find/rare/import because that's just a waste of money.

Exactly. I'm puzzled why Apple developed Apple Lossless but doesn't utilize/promote it...

When/If Apple decides to sell music in Apple Lossless Format on the iTunes Store, I'm sure they'll make it a premium and charge more money for it...

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #40 of 49
AAC 256 sounds exactly like ALAC, and it's better suited for efficient downloading and use on portable devices. If you want the CD, just buy the CD.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:
Exactly. I'm puzzled why Apple developed Apple Lossless but doesn't utilize/promote it...

When/If Apple decides to sell music in Apple Lossless Format on the iTunes Store, I'm sure they'll make it a premium and charge more money for it...

Because you are only considering the variable costs of delivery a song to the consumer (i.e. the cost of the bandwidth). However there is a high fixed cost for hosting the song, and perhaps licensing the rights to distribute a different version of the song from the studios, which would not be amortized across as many consumers.

For instance if 100MB of data costs $1 a month to host (energy, amortized hardware costs, redundancies etc) and $10 dollars to license, and delivering this through your internet provider would cost $0.10, if you had 100 consumers it could be done for $0.01+$0.10+$0.10 = $0.21 for each copy sold and you would break even.

However if there were only 10 consumers (and I think there would be less than 10% of people who would choose lossless), the cost per copy would be $1.00 to license, $0.10 to host and $0.20 to transport. That means that total cost for the file is now $1.30, not accounting for the fact that the file is much larger.

A naive napkin calculation yes, but I think it highlights some of the issues in hosting lossless data.

Quote:
This. If only itunes store was of apple lossless files. But I won't "buy" albums that are hard to find/rare/import because that's just a waste of money.

So you are basically saying that if something costs too much, intellectual property rights don't apply and it is warranted that you legitimately get it? (I don't like to use the word steal when dealing with piracy because I don't actually think it is stealing).

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:
So you are basically saying that if something costs too much, intellectual property rights don't apply and it is warranted that you legitimately get it? (I don't like to use the word steal when dealing with piracy because I don't actually think it is stealing).

When i'm not in a saucy mood to spend $100's on CDs, yes.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #43 of 49
I've spent many many times as much on music than I have on equipment. The music is the whole reason for all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back