Music to study/work to?
Mar 24, 2008 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Bon

100+ Head-Fier
Wondering preferences of music that gets you motivated and focused for work or study.

Do you like the nice relaxing sounds of classical?? or the up beat energizing hip hop or dance to get your mind racing?
Vocals? Acoustic? Instrumental?

Let us know, might try some out myself and see if they work
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wondering preferences of music that gets you motivated and focused for work or study.

Do you like the nice relaxing sounds of classical?? or the up beat energizing hip hop or dance to get your mind racing?
Vocals? Acoustic? Instrumental?

Let us know, might try some out myself and see if they work
biggrin.gif

I always studied better with classical, or something mellow. James Taylor, Pink Floyd, etc. I had to listen to stuff I was very familiar with. If it was new to me, I would tend to pay more attention to the music then to my studies.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 45
I believe something mellow also works the best. some classical or light dance music. MINUS THE VOCALS however. They seem to throw you off and i easily loose concentration and you end up thinking more about the words that your project

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 45
i study well with house music! really it works for me. and slower electronic stuff like boards of canada. but soft classical (not orchestral symphonic stuff) and jazz are good and reliable too. And cheap headphones that won't draw me in too much... like the apple earbuds.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by entp24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And cheap headphones that won't draw me in too much

Thats interesting. makes sense i guess

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 45
I listen to post rock when I'm reading, writing or writing and listen to some sort of hardcore or metal when I'm doing math. I don't know why it works out that way, but it has always held true.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 45
Since I don't have to study and mostly working on projects in the garage or basement..

Classical especially some 4-part symphonies are always good.
Floyd, Zeppelin..

Lately I have been getting into Marley (Bob and ziggy), Bedouin Soundclash, State Radio,.. music of that type.

It really depends on what I am working on and the mood.
Some good Tool, NIN, RATM is always good when needed.

Beastie Boys has an instrumental album out (The Mix-up) and NIN also has one out (Ghost) both are good if you are after something a little harder than Dvorak.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My teacher used to say if you can listen to music while studying without it putting you off, then it's not worth listening to in the first place.

This teacher doesn't happen to be one with expertise in music, is he/she?

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This teacher doesn't happen to be one with expertise in music, is he/she?

Well he might have done, he was my maths teacher. Still, I think it's true.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 45
I have no background in psychology or anything, but a big fugue of any kind stimulates my thinking, in the end helping me do work.

I just beg to differ that statement up there, no offense intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back