Music to study/work to?
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #16 of 45
I find absolutely any music to be a distraction of huge size when I study. With the exception of three albums.

Ambient 1: Music For Airports by Brian Eno, and even then only the first two parts.

Echoes: The Einaudi Collection by Einaudi.

And Waiting For Cousteau, from the album Waiting for Cousteau by Jean-Michel Jarre (not the other tracks).

Any of these have to be at a very very very low volume if they are on. I honestly cannot understand how some people can seriously study. And I mean seriously study, not just flip through articles or idly read a textbook, when theres music playing in the background.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #17 of 45
When studying or working I prefer more ambient or chill things, like drone, ambient/downtempo electronic, post-rock, and certain classical and jazz.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #18 of 45
No offense taken! I meant more in the way of the music putting you off while doing repetitive/mundane revision. Of course music is one of the best things for inspiration you can wish for. Some of the things I have thought of when listening over the years... Where does it come from? The same mysterious place the music comes from
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Waiting For Cousteau, from the album Waiting for Cousteau by Jean-Michel Jarre (not the other tracks).

I love this song. You really feel like you are on the beach at night, waiting for... Cousteau!

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 45
A lot of Beethoven's symphonies are created to stimulate certain parts of the brain. If you try some of these on low volume (quite right Duggeh) they should work well to get you a bit more focused. Anything too much higher than a murmur seems to distract me from what im doing

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know if i missed a category that you think deserves a place in the poll
wink.gif

New Age....

Cheers.

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My teacher used to say if you can listen to music while studying without it putting you off, then it's not worth listening to in the first place.

That sounds about right. If you're really studying then your brain should be pretty much engrossed in that. It's the same with listening to music. For me, they're mutually exclusive. Sometimes it makes me feel better to have some music on in the room where I'm working, but generally I'll filter it out.

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot con citrate while listening to music,or tv.

Ironically, I can't concentrate in a quiet room. I have to have some background noise or every creek, footstep, car driving by etc, will distract me.

It is funny how we all need something different....

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 45
anything works for me as long as the vocals aren't too heavy, but If I am familiar with the song it doesn't matter. If my favorite comes up in a shuffle while I am studying I do take a brief moment to air-guitar/mouth lyrics between pages.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 45
I find that if i put on an album that I've heard a million times, its easy to study to. This is probably because I spend less time listening to it and use the music more as a source of concentration (block out distractions). usually i'm listening to rap.

when i'm working, i def. like to listen to rap. Not usually the old school though, more like 50 and snoop. Of course, I don't work in an office, I do blue collar stuff so its good to get pumped a little :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back