Funeral Doom Metal, obviously
evil_smiley.gif

*lol* Yeah, that music really kills...
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 37
Sorry for your loss.
frown.gif

Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy

"Remember that death is not the end but only a transition" is one of the most comforting lines I can think of, a dying person can hear.

Of course, The Spirit Carries On and Afterlife are two other fine choices too.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #21 of 37
Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
Pearl Jam - Off He Goes (beautiful song)

and my best suggestion...
Pearl Jam - Around the Bend
the lyrics to this are wonderful, its the perfect Pearl Jam slow song. Both of these songs are on the No Code album...
"i'm wishing you a-well
mind at peace within your cell
covers up, i cast you off
i'll be watching as you breathe
i lie still, you move
i send you off around the bend
i hold your head deep in my arms
my fingertips they close your eyes
off you dream, my little child
there's a sun around the bend (yes)
there's a sun around the bend
all the evenings close like this
all these moments that i've missed
please forgive me, won't you, dear?
please forgive and let me share...
with you around the bend
you're an angel when you sleep
how i want your soul to keep
on and on around the bend"

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdemon
"The End" by The Doors

For the love of me, I can't figure out why ANYBODY would want to die to that song. It's one of Morrison's most depressing songs, with absolutely nothing redeeming. If that was the song you heard shortly before your death, you'd feel down on yourself and not end it with any strain of happy feelings. May you please explain yourself?

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 37
Great list!

But I'd probably replace "Danny Boy" with something more uplifting from Eva Cassidy, like "Over the Rainbow."

My wife says that she'd like to have Eva's "Songbird" played at her funeral if she goes before I do. If I were to pass away before her, I'd like her to hear "I Know You By Heart."

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
May you please explain yourself?

If you would read my complete post I wouldn't need to do any explaining, This is the second thread you have singled me out of, and in the other thread if you would have read my complete post your comments wouldn't have been necessary either.

Here is what you neglected to read/comprehend from this post:

Quote:

I keep track of songs mentioned by people that they have heard at funerals, would like to hear at funerals, would like to die by, or have heard people request when they are dying. It is a weird hobby of mine.

I haven't listened to all of these songs, and don't even know all the artists

I also wondered the same thing though and asked the person who picked this song why, not to judge (since musical taste/selection is ALL OPINION) and I believe his response was something to do with the way he interpreted the question.

He thought that I meant it was the last song you would hear before he could die as if he would be able to hold on for this one last song and he picked "the end" because it was the longest song he could think of, so he felt he was cheating death out of an extra 10-15 minutes by picking such a long song.

Also I have had a few people reply with this song, and don't remember their reply. For some people though reasons for picking a song may have a bunch to do with what is going on in their life right now, or what was going on in their life when they heard that song. Maybe the best time of their life, or their first kiss, or the first time they met their spouse "The End" was playing. Maybe "The End" was a favorite song of this guys spouse, best friend, sister, brother, or child. I believe that the memories that certain music brings us has way more importance than the lyrics, tune, or recording quality.

I personaly would like to listen to the Korn song "Pretty" (which sucks according to your OPINION) because it reminds me of the first concert I ever took my wife to, even though the song is about a dead rape victim, I associate the song with a happy time in my life. If I read the lyrics by themselves, yes they are sad and morbid, but for some reason I immediately associate the song with a happy time in my life and I think about those happy times more than disect the song.

If I am lying there about to die, I seriously doubt I am going to be trying to decipher lyrics, worry about the imaging and seperation of the speakers/headphones, tonal imperfections, recording problems, or bitrate at which these songs were encoded.

I posted the list to try to prove the point that music is a very personal thing and varied and different for everyone. There are way more out-there songs on that list if you want to go try and find the lyric sheets.

Music is important in different ways to different people.

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 37
Most of it is falling asleep music.

What about some hitting the wall at 100 mph.

There is no one I would rather have in the passenger seat than Jimi Hendrix and Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 37
Lisa Gerrard & Peter Bourke Duality The Unfolding

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #27 of 37
While it's hard to put oneself in that situation, I'd rather hear "up" tunes. It's not a movie where you need to create the ambience of death with suitable music to conveying it to an audience. I'd also not want to be selecting tunes by the relevance of the subject matter to the situation.

Rather, I'd want to hear (1) the highest musical achievements in genres I enjoy, like Brahms symphonies and the Miles Davis Quintets, and (2) the music I associate with times and places in my life. I guess a hospice can only supply the former.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #29 of 37
Personally, I'd want something anthemic at my wake, like "Temptation" by New Order. But then for my personal time, when everyone's gone for the day or asleep, and I know I have time for only one last song (I mean, not my last dying breath, I'll save that for my family) I'd want to hear "Chan's Song" by Dexter Gordon. Man, 'Round Midnight was an excellent movie.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

For some people though reasons for picking a song may have a bunch to do with what is going on in their life right now, or what was going on in their life when they heard that song. Maybe the best time of their life, or their first kiss, or the first time they met their spouse "The End" was playing.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back