Music. The world's greatest drug?
Dec 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheMode69

New Head-Fier
For many years now I've had this thought.

From the moment we are born to the day we die, music is involved one way or another. From lullabies to nursery rhymes to pop to the music we end up falling in love with.

When we're feeling a bit down, when we want to party, all the way to our funeral, music accompanies us all the way.

DISCUSS.

More time

V

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 14
id like to consider the worlds greatest drug caffeine then music
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 14
In one of their songs Tool presents a rather different, actually a reverse take on the relationship between music and drugs:

"See I think, drugs have some done good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favor, go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs, and burn them. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal screw*ing high on drugs." - Third Eye, Tool

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 14
I love listening to music, sometimes my friend "malt whisky" comes along to enhance the experience, a most welcome friend indeed as he often brings along "jacob t'weed" who never fails to liven up the magic of listening and grooving to fine tunes.

On rare occasions "s'hroom" pays a visit, this is always a musical mystery tour of the more obscure aspects of my musical collection and can be an extremely rewarding listening experience when you discover the one "perfect" tune and stick it on repeat for hours whilst you bathe in the visionary musical journey in front of you.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't know that "drug" would be the metaphor that I would use. However, music certainly has an addictive quality to it, believe me I know! It seems that to some people music is an incidental, background soundtrack that accompanies their life. Sometimes these people pay attention to the music in special places or on special occasions. To other people music is more a part of their soul. To these people music is an inseperable aspect of everyday life. I would venture to guess that most of the regulars here at head-fi are of the second type...
cool.gif
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm not sure if drug is the right analogy, either. There are no side effects, you can mix all genres without negative effects and it doesn't treat illness.

Music is more of a part of living. Like how air, water and food are.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 14
It's certainly up there ... although mixed with certain "substances" the music can really take a new life of it's own that no cable,amp, or modification can EVER top.

I've had some of the best eargasms with just an iPod & KSC-75's when under the right state of mind ..
blink.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if drug is the right analogy, either. There are no side effects, you can mix all genres without negative effects and it doesn't treat illness.

Music has been shown to help people cope with pain so it is indeed possible to look at it as a drug. It can also have negative side effects when you listen to really dark and moody music.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 14
in school they tell us a drug is "a mind altering substance"

music is mind altering, but not a substance.

anyways, music can help change the chemical balance in ur body...like release adrenaline, or it can relax u (not sure what chemical this would be)

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 14
listening/dancing to music can release endorphines through the central nervous system, this happy feeling can mostly be attributed to serotonin (5-HT).

That is why i'm now away to a mates farm where a 5000w sound system has been set up in a decorated barn, should've been there 3hours ago but i was busy. Dj's playing everything from funky/jazzy house to foot-stompin techno so it'll be a good start to the year.

Have a good one folks
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Music is definitely addictive, but in a good way. It's also pretty ridiculous how ubiquitous it is; people of widely varying backgrounds, geographic locations, ethnicities, cultures, you name it, enjoy listening to music.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In one of their songs Tool presents a rather different, actually a reverse take on the relationship between music and drugs:

"See I think, drugs have some done good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favor, go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs, and burn them. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal screw*ing high on drugs." - Third Eye, Tool

I could name plenty of musical geniuses who never touched drugs.

Not that I have anything against drugs+music... I definitely don't.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back