Music that represents the very essence of a culture or truely brings you somewhere.
Apr 5, 2008 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

weste47

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering, what are some albums that engulf you with a certain culture making you feel like your in that distant country or place. For instance this album by Rouge Rouge, called Ce Soir, Apres Diner really makes me feel like and imagine Paris. The album songs of earth and sky by Bill Douglas makes me feel as if I'm relaxing in the shade watching a sunset by a beautiful lake out somewhere with nobody around. There are many more I can think of but I'd like to ask you what are some albums that really bring you places may it be a lake side or a foreign country or even a different time period. I'm eager to here more to check out so please share.
smily_headphones1.gif
Write what the Album and Artist are, and then where it takes you to.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 10
For me....any album (especially live recordings) of the Grateful Dead.

1)their music doesn't represent or convey the essence of a culture, it IS a culture/sub-culture all on its own!

2)whenever I hear the Dead, it transports me 1000s of miles & 1000s of experiences from all 4 corners of the US & most points in between! For a number of years I hitchhiked & traveled to ~190 GD shows (~230 if you count their various side projects). I cannot help but be transported to another place & time when I hear their music!

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't know any particular albums, but if you can get banda music on AM, you're in Los Angeles.

Not a slam - it's not a favorite genre, but I do tune in occasionally and enjoy it. Banda is a huge cultural marker here.

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 10
This isn't exactly like what you're describing but usually when I listen to Armin Van Buurens LIVE trance energy recordings I feel as if I am in Europe instead of here, but then I open my eyes
frown.gif
. I geuss this is some what cultural with the popularity trance and other similar genres hold in Europe.

With that said this feeling will only be stronger when I go to Europe this summer with a exchange student at my school I befriended.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Loreena McKennitt- An Ancient Muse

Not only will you be taken to other countries, but you will be taken to other time periods. If you truely want to be transported, this is the album to do it. Try to youtube her name to see what I am talking about (though the CD is much better quality)

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Kinda like another country/world (esspecially when you grew up in SLC)
Cowboy Mouth "All you Need is Live"
Takes you straight back to a bar in N'ola!!
Brings a smile to my face EVERY time I listen.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Marvin Gaye-What's Goin On
60s Black inner-city concerns

Bruce Springsteen-Live in NYC
60s White urban frustration

C,S,N,Y-Four Way Street
60s College political statement

Surrealistic Pillow-Jefferson Airplane
60s Summer of Love in SF

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 10
third eye blind brings me back to the 90s haha

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 10
The Milk-eyed Mender by Joanna Newsom takes me back to my hometown.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Idle Moments by Grant Green.
Takes me to some completely fictional jazz club in my head, based loosely on the Village Vanguard (which I haven't been to but have seen videos from). Lots of purple smoke hanging, surrounded by beatiful women, and everyone's hanging on each note like it's the last they'll ever hear.
Oh yeah and the band looks like this, but with a guitarist out front:
PF_975563~Mood-4-Jazz-Posters.jpg

The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place
This takes me straight to Jimmy Lavalle's recording studio which I picture as having some amazing views of his native country (Iceland). The between song banter and general vibe make the recording space a huge part of the experience, even if half the music originates directly from a laptop.

Joanna Newsom - All of it
Takes me to an alternate pastel colored universe where nobody grows up (Peter Pan style, but slightly more extreme, possibly about 8 is the maximum age). Really, I still like it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back