Music That Makes You 'Shiver'
Feb 3, 2008 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

erythrophyte

New Head-Fier
Let me first describe the kind of sensation I'm referring to:

This sensation, for me, is triggered when a particular song/piece is associated with strong visual imagery. It seems like a bias; certain songs may not be totally magnificent, but it's as if the visual attachment lessens their mediocrity.

The feeling is like a tightening of the skin (I apologize for the crudeness) due to a shiver or static-like tingle which travels from my head down to my spine and arms. The emotions it imparts afterwards are varied: from robust liveliness to a sober calm to quiet awe.

Perhaps it's a way of my body telling me that this combination of sensations is beneficial and worthy of repetition or maybe I'm about to have a stroke. Whatever it is, its second only to an orgasm.

Anyway, onto my current "tingly" songs:

Hoppípolla - Takk... - Sigur Rós

Exquisite. Simple piano, powerful strings, twinkles, percussion, brass and Jónsi’s falsetto backed with choir, all in perfect dramatic harmony. Paired with, of course, the introductory video to Planet Earth (the UK version). In my opinion the video is thematically choppy, but is saved by the song, which can stand on its own. (I actually heard the song before the visual.) If you possess an innate, intoxicating wonder of the diversity of the the natural world then you shouldn't miss out on this piece. Sublime.

Hello Tomorrow - Rarities and Remixes - Yeah Yeah Yeah's (Squeak E. Clean)

Used in an Adidas commercial by the same name, although the commercial version is shorter and doesn't contain some lyrics. (A significant number of songs I like come from commercials. Surprise, surprise.) Directed by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, tons of music videos). Starts off with light acoustic guitar, electronic space-like twinkles then Karen's gentle vocals, light percussion and piano. Next comes the bellowing cellos, sober and soothing and the time when I shiver. It finishes with Karen's equally haunting, quiet vocals.

Some others, in brief:

Isengard Unleashed - The Two Towers OST - Howard Shore

The whole song is excellent. However, the best part starts near 2:09 when the drum roll and choir start and finishes after Isabel has done her haunting solo. There couldn't be a better match to the last march of the Ents.

Manfred Meditation - Friedrich Nietzsche

Both the life-affirming aspect and 'harshness' of his philosophy and the loneliness of his life are captured in this piece especially from 4:54 to ~6

Hatsukoi - Me and My Monkey on the Moon - Kojima Mayumi

A good introduction into Japanese jazz. Flute galore, lushness. Popularized by Nintendo in their "Who are you?" commercials. Walking/bus-music. Best part: 2:37 to ~2:44.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 56
Great topic! I get this all the time, but i rarely make note of it. I'll have to think some up.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 56
Song: "I Wanna Be Adored"
Artist: The Stone Roses
Album: The Stone Roses

First it builds from noise into one of the greatest beats/riffs in all of post-punk history, and then Ian Brown's voice just pierces right through you.
eek.gif

YouTube - Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Song: "I Wanna Be Adored"
Artist: The Stone Roses
Album: The Stone Roses

First it builds from noise into one of the greatest beats/riffs in all of post-punk history, and then Ian Brown's voice just pierces right through you.
eek.gif

YouTube - Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

definitely....i wanna be adored has to be one of the top 5 rock songs of all time. for me at least
smily_headphones1.gif
i mean...look at the avatar, haha.

one song that usually does it for me is the part of The Final Cut when he says "or would you take me home". so emotional, so good.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great topic! I get this all the time, but i rarely make note of it. I'll have to think some up.

same
biggrin.gif
... gotta keep note from now on.

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 56
is there a place online we can sketch out the nietzsche piece (just a little bit of it)

i've always thought the 'shiver effect' is what people call 'eargasms' here. hair stands up and you get that tingly sensation in your upper body

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a place online we can sketch out the nietzsche piece (just a little bit of it)

i've always thought the 'shiver effect' is what people call 'eargasms' here. hair stands up and you get that tingly sensation in your upper body

You can sample the first two minutes of Manfred Meditation, as well as his other pieces at CDBaby. To my knowledge, The Nietzsche Music Project is the only one who has commercially reproduced his works, though I might be wrong. I believe Nietzsche virtually stopped composing nearer to his philologist years, after he sent a work to a leading musician. He said it was crap and Nietzsche composed little after that.

Quote:

On March 27 Hans von Bülow visits Basel; he and FN hold lengthy conversations. In June, FN dedicates to von Bülow his new musical composition Manfred-Meditation and sends him a copy of the score. Von Bülow replies on July 24 with a scathing criticism of the piece, which FN receives with grace. Bülow did not mince words: "Ihre Manfred-Meditation ist das Extremste von phantastischer Extravaganz, das Unerquicklichste und Antimusikalischeste was mir seit lange von Aufzeichnungen auf Notenpapier zu Gesicht gekommen ist. Mehrmals mußte ich mich fragen: ist das Ganze ein Scherz, haben Sie vielleicht eine Parodie der sogenannten Zukunftsmusik beabsichtigt?" [Your Manfred-Meditation the most extreme piece of fantastic extravagance, the most undelightful and the most antimusical drafts on musical paper that I have faced in a long time. Frequently I had to ask myself: is the whole thing a joke, perhaps you intended a parody of the so-called music of the future? (KGB II 4, #347)]

Most importantly, you can find the part that of Manfred Meditation that I'm talking about on their site, nietzscheproject.org Choose your language, click CDs, then Listen to CDs. It doesn't seem to be working now, for me at least. Its plays a little then skips.

There may be more on Youtube, I haven't really checked. Of course, there are other ways.

Cheers.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 56
Playing Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast or No Blue Thing while driving with the top down at night in the desert or up the Pacific Coast Highway. I once drove about an hour north of Absolutely Nowhere, Idaho in total darkness this way, with the brightest stars I have ever seen above me and this music on the CD player. Awesome.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by erythrophyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The feeling is like a tightening of the skin (I apologize for the crudeness) due to a shiver or static-like tingle which travels from my head down to my spine and arms. The emotions it imparts afterwards are varied: from robust liveliness to a sober calm to quiet awe.

~25 years ago, a very good friend & I were traveling around the country seeing a lot of Grateful Dead shows...we would call these feelings your describing as "ripples". I guess because of the way they would start at the brain stem & travel down the spinal cord & out the nerve root branches, mostly in the upper back area. I think, at that time, drugs were responsible for a large amount of these ripples (combined with the music, of course!). However, I am happy to report that in my older age without the use of psychedelics & other mood-altering drugs, I still feel ripples while listening to music on a pretty regular basis
tongue.gif
!

As others have said...great topic! I think for me it happens at special transcendent moments while listening to good music in general as opposed to specific moments during specific songs. Though, the Dead (because of past memory associations) & Pink Floyd may bring them out more often than other bands.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 56
"Tetragrammaton" by the Mars Volta, "The Great Below" by Nine Inch Nails, "Hallelujah" covered by Jeff Buckley, and "Into the Water" by Dethklok to name a few.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 56
The first 40 seconds of "Many Meetings" on The Lord of the Rings soundtrack. There are lots of other tracks on the three LOTR albums that get me quite often too. I'm sure it's something to do with the way the recordings match up with my equipment, because I don't get it quite the same with any other headphones I have listened to it on.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 56
Bjork singing Ammaeli (Birthday in Icelandic) her voice is just other worldly, she sounds completely wild and unrestrained, quite amazing.

The Start of California Girls (The Beach Boys). Van Dyke Parks playing the Organ at the start really fills me with hope, its wonderful. God only knows how great it must be if your in love with a girl from California!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back