Music Streaming: Rhapsody vs MOG vs RDIO vs GrooveShark
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chnsawBrutality

100+ Head-Fier
Which one of these services do you use and recommend?  I've been quite pleased with RDIO, but it's the first service I found to use with the iPhone 3GS and I completely jumped on it and have the monthly subscription already.  I'm not unhappy with the service at all, it doesn't give me problems and it has pretty much every artist and album I've searched for.

How are Rhapsody, MOG, and Grooveshark?  RDIO leans towards social networking, but I have zero followers
redface.gif
, so that aspect doesn't really appeal to me.

I'll be using this on my iPhone 3GS, with 3G service, no wifi.  All the services are $10 a month, except for Grooveshark which looks like it's $3 (for iPhone, free otherwise).

Also, anybody know what format these stream at?  I don't need 320kbs, but i'll be using RE0s so it wouldn't hurt.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Bump.

And I hope you're on the grandfathered AT&T plan. Otherwise, it won't be too hard for an audio enthusiast to bump up against the new 2 GB data cap what with streaming music and all that.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the bump, I had forgotten about my own thread..
redface.gif

I tried out MOG with a 3 day trial, and I couldn't find an option to stream the music, it only let me download it.  That's not what I want as my iPhone 16GB is filled with games, apps, photos, and a small music library as a backup.

I tried Grooveshark, which is free online and I also got a month free trial for the iPhone version.  I only used it for a couple hours, but I think you can only add individual songs.  I couldn't see a way to add an entire album.  I'll look through it again, maybe I missed it.  At $3 a month, it seems like quite a bargain compared to the $10 monthly fee of Rhapsody and Rdio.

I'm still using Rdio, but I might just switch to the web only version, which is $5 instead.  There's a good chance my new desk will be in a location with no 3G service..
frown.gif

New desk is coming Monday.. so we'll see what happens with my signal.

And I have AT&T unlimited.
cool.gif

Quote:
Bump.

And I hope you're on the grandfathered AT&T plan. Otherwise, it won't be too hard for an audio enthusiast to bump up against the new 2 GB data cap what with streaming music and all that.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 7
I see. I know you can add whole albums on the Grooveshark web interface at least. But I often add song by song because sometimes there will be duplicate songs listed in an album and that sort of thing.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 7
I've been a Rhapsody user for about a year and just signed-up for RDIO and MOG's free trials. I can't imagine going back to Rhapsody at 128Kbps, even though I stream to Sonos and Denon machines in my home. MOG's interface on android seems a bit more intuitive (than RDIO). I'm having problems syncing for offline play on RDIO; perhaps that is an issue when on the trial.

I've got $ invested in Rhapsody... a shame that they're streaming 128, but mea culpa for investing in a platform w/o knowing what's out there. 

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 7
[size=10pt]Just finished  trial of RDIO and MOG, I am thinking about going with RDIO. My main reason is becos RDIO downloads faster on my iPod, which I use mainly at work.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back