Music Service Provider Question
Aug 5, 2006 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GregBe

100+ Head-Fier
I am new to MP3 players and am thinking about a monthly plan, such as Rhapsody or Yahoo Music.

If I have two players in my house, do I need two subscriptions, or can I use the same monthly fee for both?

If so, which ones provide this option?

Which services are the best?

Thanks
Greg

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 9
The service I like best is allofmp3.com. It is controversial because it is so affordable. It is also nice, in that it gives you a choice of which encoding scheme to use.

I am not a supporter of illegal downloads. To me, it's one thing to let my son-in-law have a copy of my music, and something quite different for me to sell it to others. For myself, I believe the former is ethical and the latter is not. I looked into allofmp3 as thoroughly as I could. AFAIK, it is perfectly legal due to treaties that were signed back when nobody cared about the Russian market.

Now that things have changed, the recording industry is very unhappy about those things that they agreed to in years past. Some of the recording industry (but not all of it) are trying to get the Russian law changed in order to shut the site down. I doubt if the Russian legislature cares very much about the profits of the American recording industry. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I use allofmp3, and I do so with no ethical qualms.

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe
Does a site like that work with an Ipod. I am still debating between the ipod G5 or the Zen VisionM

Does anthing work with an Ipod besides ITunes?

Thanks

The sites just give you music files. The music files don't care about the device. The only thing you need to worry about with an iPod is whether the iPod can play the files. Since iPods can play mp3's, it's not a problem. The site download's mp3 files into a dir on your PC. From there, you have to move it to whereever on your hard disk you keep your music files.

The other issue is the software on your PC. Different people have different preferences. Personally, I hate iTunes. (Other people like it.) I use Media Monkey myself. AFAIK, all music software can deal with this.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 9
If you download content from different places such as Itunes, Rhapsody, Yahoo and the like; can you manage all of your music so it is characterized the same way on the devicen or do you need to keep to one source?

Also does anyone know if I go with the Zen, and opt for a monthly service, can my wife pull music from my account to her device. If so, can it be different music?

Sorry if these Questions are basic, but this is all new to me.

If I don't opt for monthly service, then I will probably go for the Ipod to get the larger memory.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Greg- I haven't used the other services, but I find that iTunes will let you do what you're asking about. I have my iTunes library spread across three computers and two iPods. No problems so far.

At first, I bought stuff off of iTunes. Still do now and then, and usually grab their weekly free downloads. However, I've found it cheapest to just buy used CDs at a local store. I get better resolution, can rip it into ALAC (lossless), easily burn a backup, and I still enjoy having liner notes and artwork. Most of the used discs are $5-$8 each, which is cheaper than iTunes if you want more than a couple of songs. Even better, you can always get a few dollars for a used CD. No one buys used iTunes songs or subscriptions.

Also, I'm wary of subscription services. If your job (or school, or whatever) ties you down for a month or two, you've lost a couple months of money on it. Buying singles off iTunes is better. Same with used CDs.

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Urge allows up to 3 pcs to be used. I believe you can attach a portable to each, for a total of 3 portables, although I am not sure abot the latter.
Your player has to work with DRM and that makes the ipod not usable with those services.
The content in Urge is amazing and using it with Clix is transparent.

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe
If you download content from different places such as Itunes, Rhapsody, Yahoo and the like; can you manage all of your music so it is characterized the same way on the devicen or do you need to keep to one source?

You don't need to stay with one source. It's all quite easy, except for dealing with the dang copy protection (DRM). Others can tell you more than I can about the limitations that stuff involves. I stay away from it. If not for DRM, you can get files from whereever like and put them whereever you like.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Most of the used discs are $5-$8 each, which is cheaper than iTunes if you want more than a couple of songs.

Yeah, exactly. You can get just about any CD you want at a used CD store (or Half.com if you don't have such a store in your area) for the cost of just a few tracks from iTunes... and you get the whole CD, ripped at any quality level you like, and no DRM restrictions. iTunes may be a little more convenient but boy, you sure pay for that convenience in many ways and I'm not just talking about price.

Apart from the legal issues, allofmp3.com provides a shining example of what a music download service should be. If a fully legit company were to create something like this (i.e. user picks the format and bitrate, no DRM, no marketing-based holes in the catalog, etc.) then they would probably do well even at .99 per track and everyone would be happy... but apparently it's easier to sue your customers than to just give them what they want.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back