Music production (mixing, mastering) headphones advice?
Nov 29, 2019 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

giulioskij

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've been reading here since a time but I didn't find any useful information about this topic.
I know, mixing and mastering on headphones is bad and one should definetively use monitors... but sometimes, for convenience, headphones can be a really useful tool.
In partiular I was asking myself (for imminent purchase's sake) what's the best headphone, to date, around the $170 pricetag and below.
My researches brought me up to Sony MDR-7506, Audio Technica ATH-m40x (rather than m50x for a flatter responce) and Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro as some of the best ones around.
Each one of these have advantage points as drawbacks and information out there is really confusing, expecially when it comes to music production topic.
I know no headphone can replace some nearfields accuracy, but which ones (either out of the list) would you suggest to admirably get the job done?
Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Edit: I actually forgot mentioning I'm seeking any advice, despite the aforementioned headphones.
I know open backs should kind of better simulate what a pair of speakers would hear like.
Right about this I found some headphones (as AKG K-701 or K-712) which seems to be good for this job.
Any suggestion, thought or piece of information would be greatly welcome!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi everyone, I've been reading here since a time but I didn't find any useful information about this topic.
I know, mixing and mastering on headphones is bad and one should definetively use monitors... but sometimes, for convenience, headphones can be a really useful tool.
In partiular I was asking myself (for imminent purchase's sake) what's the best headphone, to date, around the $170 pricetag and below.
My researches brought me up to Sony MDR-7506, Audio Technica ATH-m40x (rather than m50x for a flatter responce) and Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro as some of the best ones around.
Each one of these have advantage points as drawbacks and information out there is really confusing, expecially when it comes to music production topic.
I know no headphone can replace some nearfields accuracy, but which ones (either out of the list) would you suggest to admirably get the job done?
Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Hi I use the Audiotechnica M40X for studio and stage monitoring sometimes. It is very neutral so it is great for showing exactly what the artiste intended in the music. Though it is boring to use M40X for general music listening due to this. I've tried the Audiotechnica M50X and it has more bass than M40X and it is not ideal for monitoring purposes, though it is better for general music listening.

I find the M40X is quite uncomfortable with long listening sessions though due to the pads. I do wear specs, so YMMV. I've tried changing the stock pads of the M40X to other aftermarket ones, but they change the sound signature too much for me. The M40X is average in instrument separation/clarity/details compared to my other IEMs, but it is relatively cheap.

I've heard good things about the MDR 7506 and Pioneer HRM-5 for monitoring purposes. I think the DT770 Pro is not exactly neutral, so might not be the best option for mixing/monitoring per se. I've not heard the MDR 7506, HRM5 or DT770 Pro, so maybe the rest can advise too.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 headphones.
DT770 have a U shaped sound, so can't see them as good for audio production.

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi I use the Audiotechnica M40X for studio and stage monitoring sometimes. It is very neutral so it is great for showing exactly what the artiste intended in the music. Though it is boring to use M40X for general music listening due to this. I've tried the Audiotechnica M50X and it has more bass than M40X and it is not ideal for monitoring purposes, though it is better for general music listening.

I find the M40X is quite uncomfortable with long listening sessions though due to the pads. I do wear specs, so YMMV. I've tried changing the stock pads of the M40X to other aftermarket ones, but they change the sound signature too much for me. The M40X is average in instrument separation/clarity/details compared to my other IEMs, but it is relatively cheap.

I've heard good things about the MDR 7506 and Pioneer HRM-5 for monitoring purposes. I think the DT770 Pro is not exactly neutral, so might not be the best option for mixing/monitoring per se. I've not heard the MDR 7506, HRM5 or DT880 Pro, so maybe the rest can advise too.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks for your interesting experience! I've actually just read your m40x review, and it seems definitely what I'm looking for. Comfort is a drawback, but in the end I think it's still better than having sound drawbacks.
However all these are close back designs... isn't this also an issue?

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 12
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 headphones.
DT770 have a U shaped sound, so can't see them as good for audio production.
Thanks! I've read a lot about MDR-7506 and it seems the studio reference when it comes at music production. It still has a closed back design... shoudn't open-back design have a better value in mixing/mastering phase?
I've read about AKG K-701 and Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro. What do you think? I must confess I'm a bit confused about all these...

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 12
@guilioskij,

Hard to go wrong with MDR 7506 as @PurpleAngel said.
Especially if you want low cost & accurate.

Some pro Mixing/Mastering do use Open Headphones though this is very uncommon as it is often either headphones or powered monitors, depending on situation &/or circumstance.

Though if you're interested in learning more, I suggest you look up the following on Youtube :

Produce Like A Pro / Warren Huart
Mixbus TV / David Gnozzi

Also, Sony MDR 1AM2 also works well though it may stretch your budget given I don't know how much this headphone is in Euros.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks! I've read a lot about MDR-7506 and it seems the studio reference when it comes at music production. It still has a closed back design... shoudn't open-back design have a better value in mixing/mastering phase?
I've read about AKG K-701 and Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro. What do you think? I must confess I'm a bit confused about all these...
I've never done audio production, so I'm no expert......but.
I would assume you want to block all other noise when doing audio production and closed headphones block noise.
For audio production, you want as little biased in the audio as possible, so you want neutral/boring headphones.
Your trying to analyze the audio, not enjoy it.
The end user who listens to your audio will use headphones with whatever they are biased for in audio.

Think of audio production as being a cook.
If your cooking a main course for 20 people, you might like certain spices that you prefer in the main course, but some of those your cooking for might not.
So your preference for spices (headphone audio biased) may not be the same as the spices (headphone audio biased) that others like.
So the DT990 might add a biased to the audio, that others might not like.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 12
@guilioskij,

Hard to go wrong with MDR 7506 as @PurpleAngel said.
Especially if you want low cost & accurate.

Some pro Mixing/Mastering do use Open Headphones though this is very uncommon as it is often either headphones or powered monitors, depending on situation &/or circumstance.

Though if you're interested in learning more, I suggest you look up the following on Youtube :

Produce Like A Pro / Warren Huart
Mixbus TV / David Gnozzi

Also, Sony MDR 1AM2 also works well though it may stretch your budget given I don't know how much this headphone is in Euros.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks! I've just looked up those channels and have great contents, definetively will matter for my knowledges! However yes, I was asking about what headphones I'd have to target for the best mixing quality, obviously conscious of their limit vs some nice speakers... for this reason I don't get how some of the headphones considered to be the best in music production are closed back.
edit: yes, I use an audio interface, so open back would have the amp they need

Those Sony looks nice, but I guess they're more music listening oriented than producing...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 12
I've never done audio production, so I'm no expert......but.
I would assume you want to block all other noise when doing audio production and closed headphones block noise.
For audio production, you want as little biased in the audio as possible, so you want neutral/boring headphones.
Your trying to analyze the audio, not enjoy it.
The end user who listens to your audio will use headphones with whatever they are biased for in audio.

Think of audio production as being a cook.
If your cooking a main course for 20 people, you might like certain spices that you prefer in the main course, but some of those your cooking for might not.
So your preference for spices (headphone audio biased) may not be the same as the spices (headphone audio biased) that others like.
So the DT990 might add a biased to the audio, that others might not like.

Well yeah, that's the idea, so to have the best representation of your mix without the commercial headphone EQ fooling your ear.
However I've read that while closed back headphones are preferred for monitoring while recording (no audio leak into microphones), the open back ones give an overall better representation during mixing and mastering process... clearly not greatly as some monitor speakers. Would you advice any headphones for the purpuse?

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 12
Well yeah, that's the idea, so to have the best representation of your mix without the commercial headphone EQ fooling your ear.
However I've read that while closed back headphones are preferred for monitoring while recording (no audio leak into microphones), the open back ones give an overall better representation during mixing and mastering process... clearly not greatly as some monitor speakers. Would you advice any headphones for the purpose?
Beyerdynamic DT880 (250-Ohm) are a little bright, but otherwise well balanced.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900?

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 12
I went with German maestro 8.35d and never looked back.
I wear them in my profile pic, very industrial looking, and can take a beating.
Sure I use them for everything, not only studio work.
But they have seen some professional studio time (psytrance 140bpm and lo-fi hiphop artist friends of and mine) They all liked them for "work purposes"

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks! I've just looked up those channels and have great contents, definetively will matter for my knowledges! However yes, I was asking about what headphones I'd have to target for the best mixing quality, obviously conscious of their limit vs some nice speakers... for this reason I don't get how some of the headphones considered to be the best in music production are closed back.
edit: yes, I use an audio interface, so open back would have the amp they need

Those Sony looks nice, but I guess they're more music listening oriented than producing...

Hi @giulioskij,

Happy to help.

Warren actually speaks quite a bit on Mixing & mastering on headphones though the actual video on the subject is short.

Anyway, subjectively, often a reason among many why some closed headphones are potentially best for music production is they are essentially nearfield monitors strapped to your head where there are no room reflections or ambient noise to interfere with the mix.
Not to mention if you are working in a space with either no soundproofing or treatment, eg, home studio, office space, etc, having headphones helps a lot.
Hard to hear something properly when someone is either eating lunch nearby, typing on a keyboard or listening to their own music, etc
Also, technically the Mixing/Mastering/Production Engineer can also listen to said mix at lower volume for clarity & potentially longer than speaker monitors.
But really it all depends on preference & situation.

I use an interface as well & I still use other head amps so don't disregard what a good head amp can do for headphone, Closed or Open.
It really comes down to taste in the produced sound & what your client wants, whether you agree or not though if it is the latter, you might have to validate on either side.

As a final point, I would suggest still keeping the MDR 1AM2 in mind as it is the same pedigree & essentially a more refined still pro audio but dressed up a little for consumer audio but they definitely work well for music production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back