Music player app for android
Dec 29, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #46 of 59
Has anyone tried the Sony walkman player on a rooted device?

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #47 of 59
Quote:
Quote:

If you're using a USB DAC via USB audio out I don't think the Android stock audio driver has any relevance does it? It's all being handled off device.

I believe that yes the stock audio driver still has relevance, its just sending the digital output through a higher quality DAC.  Audio drivers handle digital information.  (as we are speaking of them). When you add a DAC to a Computer or Droid there is still a software driver taking the digital information and sending it to whatever interface.  I'm not a huge expert on or fan of audio over USB, but I see how it could be cool to use it to bypass the androids DAC, which I assume you have done.  Are you sure these devices bypass the DAC or do they just send the audio through the better DAC a 2nd time. (nothing wrong with this....new stereos are including successive 24bit DACS where the audio gets "scrubbed" twice)

I'm new to these forums but have suspected that either the droid driver or dac maybe subpar.  I don't know what stats are available but I believe the stock DAC is quite good, with PowerAmps tweaking I am able to get great sound.

A poster a while ago mentioned an RMAA test.   I'm unfamiliar with this could you explain what you meant and how it can help the average droid users. 

I should check droid forums but spending too much online so I put my trust in you guys, one of you asserts the Motorolla droid audio driver is mid quality (I mean don't call it low....we are comparing to iphones) and there is an app that replaces it and improves sound.  

Could you tell me a little more about that?  Do you know technically what is better about the driver or is it just asserted by the app.  I.e. do they say 24 bit resolution or bypasses software directly addresses the hardware output chain?  Just curious not bustin your balls, I love PowerAmp, wish it was available for the PC but the reason I went droid is I didn't want iTunes to mess up my audio collection but the audio quality sounded better to me from version 1.0 droid.   Took em a while to catch up with the screen. 

I know some stats aren't available (V-MODA Couldn't tell me their impedance on their V-100s...I'm like huh) but as much as I love poweramp I play almost all my music out of the droid, snowboarding, dog walking, in some room at home, and if you got some knowledge to drop I'm all ears. 

Personally with PowerAmp, I find the cleanest and best sound is achieved by turning off the limiter and EQ and using the tone control if you have the right headphones.  Bass usually has to be turned down with my setup but it sounds thumping and clean.   The EQ is nice but just by accident I found playing with the two big knobs alone gives me a warmer sound.

Thanks so much for being here, a droid enclave on this site.  I feel like I've found the fremen on arrakkis. 

PEACE!!!

-pAugustus

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #48 of 59
Quote:
Wat do u guys look out for in a ui anyways? Cause jetaudio's looks cleaner and more appealing to me. It's jus poweramp amp's ability (or rather jetaudio's inability) to assign a folder and view track details that got me in this dilemma

Brilliant question.  There are two kinds of U.I. and all in between.  The kind that is quick an easy to learn.  And the kinds that look cool.

With the poweramp upgrade it took me forever to learn where the note button , etc. were on the album cover while playing.  Its the coolest looking interface once you know it. 

The more complex the program the less I care about pretty.  UI design should be both intuitive and beautiful, that is the goal.  I think for anyone young into graphics and tech
its a field that needs help, bad.  So much bad UI out there.   Bad UI can actually damage peoples bodies through RSI.  Serious stuff.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #49 of 59
Quote:
Actually it has nothing to do with what USB DAC he used. The key is that the stock audio driver in Android is very much sub-par in performance, and that's what most of the music player apps used underneath their fancy UI. Hey I was a poweramp user as well and it is the first app I purchased. But the thing that Neutron player does right is to have its own audio driver to get around the poor sounding stock audio driver. It is tha same thing iBasso does with their Android running DX100 - they write their own audio driver in order to take advantage of the hardware they have put in.

I already asked for clarification on this so I thought I'd bring the quote up.  I would also appreciate a reply to my original message.  I can't believe PowerAmp lets other programs perform better....these guys have it all by the balls.  Could you clarify the following: "iBasso does with their Android running DX100" Are you talking software or about a DJ?  I know I could google all that but my girl is all pissy I'm not in bed yet. 

I've got a mixed library of flacs, wavs, and 320k MP3s, and many hifi headphones.  What would you recommend for software? 

Thanks man, I appreciate any input you have regarding getting the most out of our droids and headphones and all that good stuff,

Peace!

-pAugustus

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #50 of 59
Neutron still sounds the best for me, using sony ericsson live with walkman, I guess that their audio driver is great, much better than stock.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Those Samsung drivers do not exist on any device older than the Galaxy S3, it was the first device to have USB audio drivers for Samsung. The drivers you are talking about are not the same and I don't think they have any relevance to this discussion (where we're talking about the particular music player possibly being less important to the OP given they are using USB audio, not the rest of the thread as a whole).

All this information is here guys in the Android USB audio thread, if you want to read further around it.

Does anyone know if the new Galxy S3 mini has audio via usb, or which DAC it uses?

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #53 of 59
Quote:
Hi. 

I'm really interested in Neutron but need a stereo widening feature like the ones implemented in other third party players. It seems like the stereo virtualizer in Neutron by Ambiphonic is only for speakers. Has anyone tried it with headphones? Does Neutron have a way to increase the soundstage image for headphones? Thanks.

There is a free digital effects app (that works in conjunction with Neutron and most other music player apps) called Noozxoide Eizo that has a stereo widening effect (they call it a surround sound effect) and several other effects also. It is better than any other digital effects software I have tried, and I also like the surround effect used simultaneously with the crossfeed in Neutron. Here is a thread I started about it over in Computer Audio: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640655/noozxoide-and-neutron-versus-jplay-for-windows

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:
Hi. 

I'm really interested in Neutron but need a stereo widening feature like the ones implemented in other third party players. It seems like the stereo virtualizer in Neutron by Ambiphonic is only for speakers. Has anyone tried it with headphones? Does Neutron have a way to increase the soundstage image for headphones? Thanks.

Neutron actually does have surround sound and its one of the better implemented ones I've heard, I use it a lot with live concert recordings to widen the soundstage even further.
Go to settings, turn off crossfeed and switch on surround sound then you will have it on the players control screen, long hold on the button there then brings up the programmable presets to chose from.
The Neutron devs see surround sound as the complete opposite of crossfeed and so dont seem to allow them to be used together.

Nirmalanow- I read your thread about noozxiode, thanks for the headsup, its always nice to have a few more sound processing options to play with. I'll need to try it out to see how it compares.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

I believe that yes the stock audio driver still has relevance, its just sending the digital output through a higher quality DAC.  Audio drivers handle digital information.  (as we are speaking of them). When you add a DAC to a Computer or Droid there is still a software driver taking the digital information and sending it to whatever interface.  I'm not a huge expert on or fan of audio over USB, but I see how it could be cool to use it to bypass the androids DAC, which I assume you have done.  Are you sure these devices bypass the DAC or do they just send the audio through the better DAC a 2nd time. (nothing wrong with this....new stereos are including successive 24bit DACS where the audio gets "scrubbed" twice)

I'm new to these forums but have suspected that either the droid driver or dac maybe subpar.  I don't know what stats are available but I believe the stock DAC is quite good, with PowerAmps tweaking I am able to get great sound.

A poster a while ago mentioned an RMAA test.   I'm unfamiliar with this could you explain what you meant and how it can help the average droid users. 

I should check droid forums but spending too much online so I put my trust in you guys, one of you asserts the Motorolla droid audio driver is mid quality (I mean don't call it low....we are comparing to iphones) and there is an app that replaces it and improves sound.  

Could you tell me a little more about that?  Do you know technically what is better about the driver or is it just asserted by the app.  I.e. do they say 24 bit resolution or bypasses software directly addresses the hardware output chain?  Just curious not bustin your balls, I love PowerAmp, wish it was available for the PC but the reason I went droid is I didn't want iTunes to mess up my audio collection but the audio quality sounded better to me from version 1.0 droid.   Took em a while to catch up with the screen. 

I know some stats aren't available (V-MODA Couldn't tell me their impedance on their V-100s...I'm like huh) but as much as I love poweramp I play almost all my music out of the droid, snowboarding, dog walking, in some room at home, and if you got some knowledge to drop I'm all ears. 

Personally with PowerAmp, I find the cleanest and best sound is achieved by turning off the limiter and EQ and using the tone control if you have the right headphones.  Bass usually has to be turned down with my setup but it sounds thumping and clean.   The EQ is nice but just by accident I found playing with the two big knobs alone gives me a warmer sound.

Thanks so much for being here, a droid enclave on this site.  I feel like I've found the fremen on arrakkis. 

PEACE!!!

-pAugustus

There is an app called USB Audio Recorder Pro that bypasses the Android audio stack to feed an external USB DAC directly. Unfortunately, it is a recording app and has very limited playback functionality. However, the developer is open to working with the developer of Neutron to create an app that uses the UI of Neutron, but feeds the signal to an external DAC, as he mentions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1260#post_9015714. This would be awesome, and maybe anyone who is interested could post on that other thread and let him know that there is a definite interest in this possibility. You could also post on the Neutron forum where there is a thread under plug-ins that requests this feature: USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices? {Please vote!}

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:
Neutron actually does have surround sound and its one of the better implemented ones I've heard, I use it a lot with live concert recordings to widen the soundstage even further.
Go to settings, turn off crossfeed and switch on surround sound then you will have it on the players control screen, long hold on the button there then brings up the programmable presets to chose from.
The Neutron devs see surround sound as the complete opposite of crossfeed and so dont seem to allow them to be used together.

Nirmalanow- I read your thread about noozxiode, thanks for the headsup, its always nice to have a few more sound processing options to play with. I'll need to try it out to see how it compares.

Let me know what you think of the Noozxoide app. It has some nice other effects  besides the surround sound and it seems to not harm to the sound, especially if you use the lower settings for smaller effects. Best of all, right now it is free!

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #57 of 59
As mentioned on another thread, I am quite happy with Neutron. Rich, full, well-balanced sound, full staging.  Sounds VG through my Grado SR 60s and I use it as the digital player in the car.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #58 of 59
Guys, you're seemed to be forgetting that the sound quality is mostly down to you individual sound chips and not the software itself.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:
Guys, you're seemed to be forgetting that the sound quality is mostly down to you individual sound chips and not the software itself.

You would think so but that doesn't explain why there is a difference in SQ and flavour between the various player apps un-EQ'd and with all effects turned off so It must be down to the audio drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back