Music pauses every now and then while using USB DAC - where's the problem ?
Sep 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 21
Thanks everyone.

I tried the Latency Checker program (above) but it wasn't able to recognize any peak in resource usage when I minimized / maximized windows (which makes the streaming pause).

My WI-FI adapter is turned off since I use wired connection.  Does it still work in the background in this case ?

The one thing that seems to help right now, is the buffer: mine was set to the minimum (50ms on Foobar).   I turned it up to a point the device supports (1021ms) and it seems to work fine now.  I'll report here if things still go wrong, just for the record.
It makes starting and switching of songs slower however.  Blacknile - could you tell me what buffer setting you're using please ?

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
I use an HRT Music Streamer II+ with a netbook running Window 7 with no problems whatsoever. Same with my old HRT Music Streamer II.

You might want to check the buffer settings in your audio player of choice.

Now I have had sound artefact issues with my Music Streamer II and have all but resolved them, though there is still the occasional annoying 'tick'. The way around this for me was changing settings in ASIO4ALL 2.10. I've set the latency compensation to maximum (1024 samples), Kernel buffers are set at max (4) as well and this is the hub of the issue I believe and I wish I could set these higher. Also, my ASIO buffer size is now set to 2048 samples yhough I am not sure if this makes a difference. I am prepared to live with the occasional annoying tick though I did follow the advice of Nikp "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" by unticking this function. I wonder if there are other functions in this menu that I should also disable to completely solve my problem. Please note that I am using JRiver MC16, not Foobar.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
You might try WASAPI/Eventstyle in JRMC
You can raise buffer size up to 500 ms

WASAPI Event Style wouldn't even play but thanks for the suggestion. I am so close to getting this right I can smell it. I feel that it's all down to W7 events and if I can isolate those then everything will be perfect. The HRT is just so good that I want to solve this.

I am listening at the moment to a much more spacious sound, the bass is deeper, richer yet well defined and the mids/tops sound so much smoother.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Now I have had sound artefact issues with my Music Streamer II and have all but resolved them, though there is still the occasional annoying 'tick'. The way around this for me was changing settings in ASIO4ALL 2.10. I've set the latency compensation to maximum (1024 samples), Kernel buffers are set at max (4) as well and this is the hub of the issue I believe and I wish I could set these higher. Also, my ASIO buffer size is now set to 2048 samples yhough I am not sure if this makes a difference. I am prepared to live with the occasional annoying tick though I did follow the advice of Nikp "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" by unticking this function. I wonder if there are other functions in this menu that I should also disable to completely solve my problem. Please note that I am using JRiver MC16, not Foobar.

I can hear this tick too, this is probably caused when there's some error in the internal arrangement of streamed data.
That's no issue for casual listening, though it does become quite bothersome when your work requires smooth streaming of information without clicks that interrupt your concentration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back