Music pauses every now and then while using USB DAC - where's the problem ?
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tbger99

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Here's a problem I've been experiencing since the day I started using a DAC and bought my current unit.

Equipment discussed
HRT MusicStreamer II+
Furutech USB cable (not a junk for this matter)
Laptop is Dell Vostro 3300, running Windows 7 Home

Every time I make anything special on the laptop, whether applying attributes through a Windows menu or using a sound editing program, or connecting / disconnecting a USB device, there's a pause in the signal transmission apparently, causes the the music stops for ~1 second and in most cases comes back again (sometimes it doesn't even do that).

The solution to this is probably so obvious that I just couldn't find it on here.  I hoped someone will pop up and just tell me where the problem is.  Any solutions would be welcome.

Thanks for reading

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 21
Do some research but my understanding is that the usb implementation on dell products is problematic.  Also not all usb inputs are created equal; on my macbook pro there are 2 and one provides more clean power than the other.  You could try a powered usb hub but that may introduce some problems of its own. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 21
^^^  Thank you, I just tried it and it worked fine - though it didn't pass my weirdest test (which was the first thing I noticed to cause those pauses):  I enabled "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" by going to System properties > Advanced system properties > Perfomance area, clicking on Settings.  Minimizing / maximizing of windows didn't generate any bump on the delay values on DLC (the program), but it did pause my music again and again, releasing it only once the animation finishes.  Why should friendly basic features of Windows require so much of resources, much enough to interfere the USB data streaming ...  
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
^^^  Thank you, I just tried it and it worked fine - though it didn't pass my weirdest test (which was the first thing I noticed to cause those pauses):  I enabled "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" by going to System properties > Advanced system properties > Perfomance area, clicking on Settings.  Minimizing / maximizing of windows didn't generate any bump on the delay values on DLC (the program), but it did pause my music again and again, releasing it only once the animation finishes.  Why should friendly basic features of Windows require so much of resources, much enough to interfere the USB data streaming ...  
confused_face(1).gif

That's actually strange. My other laptop, a four year old Vostro 1400 running vista, doesn't have those kinds of problem.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 21
I use it solely for reading on the internet and listening to music.  Only major programs I installed, other than Windows applications, are Adobe Audition and NOD anti virus.  Nothing special running on the background.  It's practically new - bought it last December.  I maintain it very gently and run virus scans every few days.  It has 4 GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard disc (unfortunately I didn't choose an SSD).

However, there are moments where everything completely freezes - including the USB streaming - and gets released after 1-1.5 seconds.  As I mentioned these pauses also happen on specific cases like the animations of windows.

My understanding in computers is quite advanced, though I really have no idea what could cause this problem.  I guess total formatting and re-installation of Windows is the only thing that might make a change.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #13 of 21
I use an HRT Music Streamer II+ with a netbook running Window 7 with no problems whatsoever. Same with my old HRT Music Streamer II.

You might want to check the buffer settings in your audio player of choice.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back