Music Paradise 701 MK2 Preamp and tube rolling
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 47
Apr 15, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #33 of 47
MK3 PCB looks promising. This is an early sample but shows the changes made to the PCB

MK3-Sample.jpg

Apr 15, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 47
Hi I have the Vcap odam caps in the rear and Mundorf caps in the front both advised by Gary. Which ones exactly Gary told me. I am stupid enough not to know the sprecs by heart. Kind regards Yoram

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #35 of 47
I owned the MK2 version of that preamp, but sold it just two months ago in anticipation of the MK3 version. I placed an order for the MK3 last week, I am now waiting impatiently for it. My previous version had the Mundorf MCAP supreme silver gold oil for the coupling caps, this time I'll try the Jantzen silver zcap for the coupling and power supply caps.
I was hoping that the mk3 be a full balanced preamp with two balanced and two unbalanced inputs, but unfortunately this is omitted in this version.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #36 of 47
I owned the MK2 version of that preamp, but sold it just two months in anticipation of the MK3 version. I placed an order for the MK3 last week, I am now waiting impatiently for it. My previous version had the Mundorf MCAP supreme silver gold oil for the coupling caps, this time I'll try the Jantzen silver zcap for the coupling and power supply caps.
I was hoping that the mk3 be a full balanced preamp with two balanced and two unbalanced inputs, but unfortunately this is omitted in this version.
At least on the sample PCB it appears that the PSU only uses one bypass cap now (with bigger power filtering choke in the PSU section). So all in all it should only need 3 caps with MK3. At least it appears that way for me.
Concerning balanced. It's easily said that true balanced would be nice. In terms of tube amps - or amps in general - this often carries a lot of consequences. It would require twice the amount of pre tubes which would increase size and also price considerably. And you'd need to get a whole bunch more tubes to roll or run the amp half populated when running only single ended. That can often look pretty awkward imo - at least when the tubes are visible. The DAC MP-DX offers that option for example. But there the tubes are further in the case and it's a design without cathode follower tube (third pre tube before the output in MP701), tube rectification etc.
Maybe a dedicated higher priced balanced tube pre could be a nice option to be offered in the future, but I wouldn't expect this kind of a change in a model refresh.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #38 of 47
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #42 of 47
I have some left over from other projects I want to try before buying more, same with tubes. I also have to rearrange my rack which I am itching to do.
It's been a long time since I had a tube preamp, went through quite a few years ago before I went on a downsizing binge.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #43 of 47
I'm also impatiently waiting. Caps and tubes waiting here, ready to go.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #45 of 47
Hi, I had troubles to fit the Linlai E- 6SN7 pins into the Woo adapters but I measured the pins and it seemed the size was okay so my fault; little circles with power did the trick. Sorry for my stupidity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back