Music Paradise 701 MK2 Preamp and tube rolling
Aug 14, 2023 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Ufanco

500+ Head-Fier
I been searching for a new preamp for my system and finally settled on the Music Paradise 701 MK2. With a price of only $720.00 I feel there is a lot of value in this tube preamp. Since there wasn’t much information on head-fi I decided to start a thread about it.
This is a tweeker‘s dream preamp. Has settings to increase the gain along with switch that allow you to use a multitude of different tubes. The capacitors are not soldered in and can easily be replaced by user.

I received my unit last week and am already impressed by the build quality along with sound quality. For the price, I don’t think there is any other preamp that gives you this much freedom to adjust the sound quality.

Technical highlights

1. Onboard filament voltage switches allow support both 6.3V and 5V rectifier, 6.3V and 12.6V signal tubes.

2. Onboard DIP switches allow user to select 4 different levels of output gain to support different input sensitivity of amplifiers.

3. Zero negative feedback circuit provides the most natural sounding.

4. Oversized 150W toroidal transformer provides sufficient power redundancy. It is magnet shielded in the compartment underneath the motherboard.

5. Output coupling capacitors and power filtering bypassing capacitors are user changeable to further improve or customize the overall sound characteristics. No soldering is required.

6. Built with genuine HiFi grade components, such as Vishay military grade resistors, Genuine Rubycon and Nichicon LOW ESR power filtering capacitors, OHVL coupling caps, Bennic XPP bypassing capacitors, ALPS volume control and power switch, heavy gold-plated terminals.

7. Solid aluminum alloy case, suspension feet and knobs.

8. Remote volume control feature.

Specs

1. Output voltage: 20V (Max) depending on DIP switches gain settings and the type of signal tubes.

2. Output impedance: 2Kohm (Recommended power amp input impedance >=10Kohm)

3. Input impedance: 100Kohm

4. Frequency Response: DC to 50khz

5. Input: RCA x 3, XLR x 1

6. Output: RCA x 2, XLR x 1

7. Sub-woofer support: Yes

8. Dimensions: W 31cm x D 39cm x H 15.5cm

9. Gross Weight: 12 kg

10. Input Voltage: 110-120V / 220-240V

Tubes

1. 6.3V filament rectifier tubes: 6Z5P, 6X5.

2. 5V filament rectifier tubes: 5R4, 5U4G, 5AR4, GZ33, GZ34, 274B, 5Y3, 5Z3P.

3. 6.3V signal tubes: 6N11, 6N1P, E88CC, E188CC, CCA, 6922, 6H23, 6H6, 6H30, 6CG7, (6SN7 with 6SN7 to 6922 adapter).

4. 12.6V signal tubes: 12AU7, 12BH7, E80CC, (12SN7 with 6SN7 to 6922 adapter)

When using 6.3V filament rectifier tubes, onboard S2 switch must set to 6X5 position. When using 5V filament rectifier tubes, onboard S2 switch must set to 5AR4 position.
When using 6.3V filament signal tubes, onboard S1 switch must set to 6.3V position. When using 12.6V filament signal tubes, onboard S1 switch must set to 12.6V position.

Capacitors
1. Stock Obbligato gold coupling capacitor is 630V 2.2UF. Capacitance can be 1.5UF – 4.7UF. Voltage needs to be >=350V. Nonpolar.
2. Stock Bennic power filtering bypassing capacitor is 350V 6.8UF. Capacitance can be 0.1UF – 10UF. Voltage needs to be >=350V. Nonpolar.

https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=103

IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg
IMG_1057.jpeg
IMG_1058.jpeg
IMG_1059.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 47
Started the upgrades to preamp and have switched out the rectifier tube to an RCA 5U4G. This added improvements in the bass and soundstage. I also received new coupling capacitors the stock ones are OHVL Obbligato Gold 2.2UF and replaced them with Vcap ODAM 2.2UF 630 VDC.

To be on the safe side bought a capacitor discharge tool, there inexpensive and it’s better to air on the side of safety. The capacitors take a while to burn in so currently using some of my cheaper tubes during the process. Even with a pair of 12au7s RCA clear tops and a Westinghouse 12AU7 carbon plate, the sound quality is great.

With the preamp and amp using the same type of tubes going have a ton of options to try. Currently have 23 different tube pairs to try out so going be keeping me busy for a while.

Considering the price and sound quality I’m hearing surprised this preamp isn’t more popular, for people that enjoy tweaking the options it offers are excellent.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 47
Decided today to bump up the quality of tubes in the MP701 MK2 along with the Wells Dragon tube amp. So replaced the 12AU7 in the MP701 MK2 with 2 12BH7 RCA Dimple getters and in the 3rd slot dropped in a 1951 12BH7 Hytron red tip. In the wells dragon replaced the Mullard E88CC with a pair of Amperex 7308.

This bought out very noticeable improvements to the sound. The Vcap is starting to burn in and the better tubes have added improvements across the board. Convinced me that this preamp offers incredible value and glad I went this route over the Freya N I was considering.

The next upgrade will be to the power capacitors I ordered a pair of Mundorf Supreme EVO oil capacitors 6.8 to try out. Also going add bypass caps they’re inexpensive and suppose to improve the sound. I went with the Cornell Dubilier 940c 0.01uF 500Vac at less than 5 bucks each figured why not.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 47
Been leaving the system on trying to burn in the Vcaps quicker. With around 150 hours the sound has settled in. The bass is better and hearing improvements to the midrange and high end. The soundstage width has increased, will write a full update on them before I switch the power capacitor and add the bypass capacitors.

The upgrades have added around $280.00 to the price of the preamp so right around what my budget was for the new preamp. I could skip the upgrades and still had a great-sounding amp. The upgrades just take it to another level.

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 47
The Mundorf Supreme EVO oil capacitors 6.8 uF just arrived and have been installed I also added the Dubilier 940c 0.01 uF 500Vac with it. Just sat down and gave it a listen and even before burn-in there’s an improvement to the sound. Added more improvements to the soundstage. Going to burn them in and start tube rolling.

Tube wise currently using an RCA 5U4G rectifier tube using a pair of RCA 12BH7 Dimple Getter along with a Hytron 12BH7. The amp is using a pair of Amprex 7308. Both amp and preamp can use either 6volt or 12 volt tubes so plenty of option, they both also allow the ability to change to gain factors of the tubes.

Even with using iem there is no hiss at all out this preamp. Hopefully with adding some information on this preamp will allow others looking for a new preamp another option to consider. If into tweaking and like the option to explore tube rolling I feel it worth checking it out. Read the online reviews and hopefully can amass additional information on this thread.
IMG_1073.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 47
The Mundorf Supreme EVO oil now has around 100 hours on them and blown away by how good this preamp is sounding. I was a bit worried that the preamp wasn't going live up to the hype but super happy with it.

It brings out more details, dynamic, stronger bass, wider and deeper sound stage than I was getting with just the Wells Audio Dragon. Considering the upgraded capacitors I have around $1000.00 invested into it I don’t think there is much out there in tube preamp that would match its sound quality.

I’m just beginning to start tube rolling with it and feel once I get the best synergy with it and the Wells Dragon there’s be more sound improvement. Plus the capacitors are not completely burned in so should be some improvements there. The only other thing I may need to upgrade is possibly the rectifier tube.

I think my profile lists my tubes so any suggestion on possible options to try would be appreciated.

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 47
Thanks for your sharing, I recently got this preamp also and am loving it, using stock caps atm, mazda5y3gt with cv181-tii, it sounds really good with my 300b power amp.

I have one question not sure if you can answer, I accidentally forgot to switch the s2 rectifier switch from 6.3v to 5v when I had the 5y3 in and turned it on, I realized this maybe less than 1 or 2min max, maybe 40-50seconds, do you know if this would have been very damaging to the amp components or would the tube have been the sacrificing element instead? It sounds fine now and I am hoping I didn't damage anything seriously...

Anyhow, thanks for your sharing again, will cap roll at some point in the future

Ken

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 47
Thanks for your sharing, I recently got this preamp also and am loving it, using stock caps atm, mazda5y3gt with cv181-tii, it sounds really good with my 300b power amp.

I have one question not sure if you can answer, I accidentally forgot to switch the s2 rectifier switch from 6.3v to 5v when I had the 5y3 in and turned it on, I realized this maybe less than 1 or 2min max, maybe 40-50seconds, do you know if this would have been very damaging to the amp components or would the tube have been the sacrificing element instead? It sounds fine now and I am hoping I didn't damage anything seriously...

Anyhow, thanks for your sharing again, will cap roll at some point in the future

Ken
I’m not a 100 percent sure on this answer, but think it would have blown the fuse or tube before causing damage to the preamp. If working I wouldn't stress over it.

Glad to hear you like the preamp I love the sound of mine. Currently using Sophie 274b and 3 amperex 7308 tubes in mine.

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 47
I’m not a 100 percent sure on this answer, but think it would have blown the fuse or tube before causing damage to the preamp. If working I wouldn't stress over it.

Glad to hear you like the preamp I love the sound of mine. Currently using Sophie 274b and 3 amperex 7308 tubes in mine.
I wrote to Gary about it and he said don't worry it is fine since it was short time and if anything that it would have just blow the rectifier tube out but the amp will be fine.

Btw I got a Mullard Gz33 in it and it sounds amazing !

Nov 29, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 47

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 47
Hi,
I bought the VCAP Odam version, and I put the Linlai Elite tubes in it, E-274B and E-6SN7. Then I upgraded my streaming transport, and I bought silver cables. All changes were changes for the better. Except the RCA cable between the MP 701 mk2 and the power amp needed to be shielded. Otherwise a big hum. So the unshielded Lavricables grand were no match. I went for the Oyaide AZ-910 triple shielded silver cable. Soon at home. Apart from the electroshock, I am not technically educated enough to know which caps I should buy to place where. All sounds quite nice now. If I wanted a high-end preamp, I’d start looking again. And saving. The Linlai tubes were like 500 euro together within Europe. Thanks and best wishes Yoram

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 47
Thanks Yoram for sharing,

My recent most biggest sound improvement came from swapping the new psvane cv181-tii into the back rear tube (instead of having them in the front two), and swap out the front two cv181 tii into two baldwin 6sn7, rectifier mullard gz33... this is giving me the best sound for my system....

May roll cap soon...

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 47
Debating about trying the 6SN7 tubes, currently using a pair of Telefunken E88CC and Amperex E180CC (holland). For Rectifier using a Sophia electric 274b.

Between the tube and capacitor updates really pleased with the sound of the preamp so not sure if the 6SN7 would be an upgrade over the current tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back