Music or Lyrics?
Mar 6, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 26
I think both matter to a certain extent, possibly musical sound more so than lyrics. If a song just plain doesn't have a good sound to it, but good lyrics I'm probably a lot less inclined to listen than a song with a good musical sound. As long as the lyrics aren't atrociously bad I can live with them, I'm sure.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 26
It can go either way. There's some music I love that has truly horrible lyrics (examples: White/Rob Zombie, Soulfly, Fantomas), but the music itself is more than redemption. On the other hand, there's some bands (Public Enemy and those grunge kids out of Seattle, to name a few) that make the lyrics just as important as the guitars and/or the beats.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 26
Music.

lead singers just get in the way of the drums, guitars and keyboards. I would much rather listen to a keyboard carry on the main melody / harmony of a tune.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Music.

lead singers just get in the way of the drums, guitars and keyboards. I would much rather listen to a keyboard carry on the main melody / harmony of a tune.

wonder if this is more common with musicians?

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 26
Music first; for the most part, I kinda tune out so I'm not really processing the lyrics. So if the music is good can I tolerate dumb lyrics, although only to a certain point *cough*Audioslave*cough*. Then again offensive lyrics are a real turn off too.
It's really best when the music and lyrics complement each other.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 26
For the vast majority of my music listening life, it was music only, I didn't give a fig about lyrics, and for some of my favorite songs that I listened to endlessly I couldn't tell you all the words.

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash changed all that.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #23 of 26
Music, just. I listen to both a lot, and will listen to both significantly in any playthrough. But if something has bad music, I just plain won't listen to it, while bad lyrics (as long as they aren't prevalent through the whole song), I can stand (though I may wince a bit).

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 26
Both, especially in a more mellow song where the background instruments ae either quiet or few in number

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread
Both, especially in a more mellow song where the background instruments ae either quiet or few in number

Good point - a ballad number sucks without good lyrics, unless the music is just insanely gorgeous.

EDIT: Woo! Post #500.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 26
Heh! Depends for me. I mean I hate Heavy Fuel by Dire Straits (and Mark Knopfler is my favourite artist) cos the lyrics are so silly even though it is a rocking sopng (Well, kinda) but there are so many world artists that I love to listen to even though I don't understand squat.

Sometimes music really is more articulate than words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back