Music or Lyrics?
Mar 6, 2006 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ilovesocks

1000+ Head-Fier
Do you listen to the musical sound of a song more closely, or the lyrics?

I, for instance, can hear almost any song in my head, but even for some of my favorite songs, if you asked me what the lyrics are, I wouldn't know some/most of them. It's the music for me. The deeper meaning of 99% of songs is beyond me, since I don't really listen to the lyrics. There are exceptions, though. Most jazz lyrics are so simple that it's hard for me to ignore them. Same thing with certain rock songs. Lyrics/meaning just aren't important to me.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 26
I've been listening to bands for ten years, and I couldn't tell you what the lyrics are. I just don't pay much attention anymore, unless it's important to the music. For example, of coure I listen to Sufjan Stevens lyrics and rap lyrics...there is no other point to listening to rap.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 26
"the lyrics are only there to fill in between the guitar parts"
jorma kaukonen (Hot Tuna)

I listen primarily to the music and then if I like it and listen often enough the lyrics tend to grow on me in time.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 26
Well i look at it this way

If the music is good, i will look at the lyrics,

however if the lyrics are good but I dont like the sound... i wont listen at all.

So.. music definitely first... its the hook.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
the music is what gets me, i try to get the lyrics at times...but i just can't understand sigur ros

rofl
biggrin.gif

i hope that was a joke, cause I got it . . . . or perhaps, well nevermind
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
i was only kidding. much love to iceland
580smile.gif

good! pfeeew!
then i must at least be holding onto one thread of sanity
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 26
I like both but it's usually the music that draws me in first, probably because it's hard to make out lyrics in the first couple of listens. But if a band has good lyrics they're usually the ones that I get really into, so I'd say that lyrics do have a big impact on how I feel about the music.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 26
with very VERY few exceptions, i tend to ignore the lyrics. because if i know what they are then i can't resist imagining them recited as poems without music.

and when that happens, they almost invariably come off as incredibly bad poetry. and the song is completely ruined for me.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 26
I don`t really listen to the lyrics and most of the time I cannot remember them, but I can recognize a lot of tunes. Just want to say I listen to the music and not to the words they`re singing.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz
Ugh, I'm the only one who voted 'lyrics' so far.
basshead.gif

I'm with you Baz. I end up doing a lot of mental gymnastics to convince myself that I like a catchy song if the lyrics are offensively stupid. That said, there are all kinds of ways to appreciate lyrics, and 'hi-rony' is an easy way, though not the most rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back