Music Master Planar Mod
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Maxx134

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a quick explanation of a mod on the Chinese headphones from company "Music Master".

As you may or may not know, I am an experienced headphone modder, and was curious to see what potential this headphones has.
So this headphone was moded to highlight the increased potential of both the housing, and the driver.

Spec Details:
*Custom 66mm nano-planar driver
*Internal silver wiring
*Light weight for size at 380g
*Solid wood construction, including baffle plate.
*Sony R10 style cup with internal "labyrinth stair" structure.
*Solid polished metal surfaces
*Sensitivity 96db
*Impedance 32 ohm
* 1.6M OFC cable

The headphone modification goal was to build upon the existing solid design, in order to maximize the potential of both the driver, and headphone design.
It was a success.

So, to improve upon the design, the replacement of all stock materials was replaced with superior materials:

Added materials:
"Organza silk" replaces paper backing of driver, for least air impedance.

Tunning is accomplished with Custom design manufactured EVA/polyester mix material (foam/felt combo) of specific low density, chosen for tunning without deadening sound, which most other usual materials do (like wool&foam).

Then Internal cup volume material, was replaced with highest quality "volume increasing" material known.

"Twaron", the original world's best speaker damping material wich is discontinued and highly sought after.

Also, New custom angled porting scheme is implemented into optimized areas of the baffle plate, to Improve driver "air impedance" (necessary for thin membrane drivers).

Porting position was calculated to also improve bass and soundstage, and angled vent was determined to discourage any back wave reflection.

Stock external diffuse materials are eliminated from front of driver,

to complete removal of all stock materials from both front & rear driver, to maximize driver movement and clarity of the nano driver element. No frontal damping is now used, for maximum clarity.
Stock pads were replaced with "old stock" Audeze leather pads.
They increase in bass seal. Huge difference from stock pads(in purple):

The pads are old stock Audeze. Not sure if they still make them, but similar thick leather pads should also bring bass up over the stock pads.

Changes in Frequency response:
Replaces stock "midrange" centered sound, by increasing both frequency extremes, to improve both bass, and trebles "air".
New mod in green:

Final signature is transformed to a very fast, highly detailed lively (think slight vanilla) signature, now with decent bass.
Extremely involving and musical.
Resolve level is now easily above mid-teir class. Its a beautiful headphones & very easy to open for modding potential.
👍

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Reserved.
I post thread for any questions.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 7
I've been listening to some rock with these, I really like the way cymbals sound there's a bunch energy in these headphones, they defiantly aren't laidback like my Ananda.

The more I listen to them the more I like them.

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Have you got any driver pics?

The driver seemed good but bass ability was limited due to lack of porting. I had to make porting on baffle plate similar to Ultrasone designs.
It looks like a custom made driver glued onto wood baffle.
Lager than a fostex planar driver, but smaller than a Hifiman driver.
Sorry didn't take pics.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 7
The driver seemed good but bass ability was limited due to lack of porting. I had to make porting on baffle plate similar to Ultrasone designs.
It looks like a custom made driver glued onto wood baffle.
Lager than a fostex planar driver, but smaller than a Hifiman driver.
Sorry didn't take pics.
Give the cans a bit of eq and the bass is pretty nice.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 7
IMG_1590.jpeg

I recently acquired the MM-R10 plus resin stabilized versions of these headphones and while I didn’t go as far as the thread author around the driver, I also made some changes.

I felt the seal with the stock headband was light, and the isolation was pretty weak, so I thought a headband change would fix these issues. I found a Sony R10 style headband off of Aliexpress that resulted in a stronger clamp.

I also took some more inspiration from the OG and bought some replacement pads that were thinner in the front. These pads were also thinner overall than the pads that came with the MM-R10, reducing the stress on the new headbands.

If I were to describe the sound, I’d say they’re quite full bodied. There’s a hump right in the bass guitar region that makes bass lines quite easy to pick out. The sub bass isn’t there though. They are quite detailed, but there’s also a lack of air to them. I didn’t notice any bloat with the bass, and I had no issues with sibilance, so it’s not bad overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back