Music made for headphones
Feb 17, 2004 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm sure you're all saying, "all music is made for headphones"

i'm saying, the album "The Glow, Pt.2" by the Microphones can only truly be enjoyed through a pair of cans. Even the best speakers just don't give the level of intimacy this album needs.

are there any other albums you think NEED to be heard thru headphones as opposed to high end speakers?

Feb 17, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 25
Funki Porcini - Hed Phone Sex
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally I adore Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking and Amused TO Death (Roger Waters) on headphones, although have yet to hear these on a high-end stereo speaker setup.

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 25
Ulver - Perdition City

it says so on the back: "this is music for the station before and after sleep. headphones and darkness recommended"

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 25
Billy Idol - Cyberpunk

Certain parts of this recording were done in Binaural. It's a really great disc to listen to when out on the street.

OST - Run, Lola, Run

This again is really great when out and about. It's really fast paced and almost makes you wanna run like Lola. Erm... i'll rephrase that, it makes you wanna pick up the pace and not run like a girl
wink.gif

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Everybody here has this right? If not then go and buy it.. now! The spacial effects on this recording are still fantastic some 30 years after it's initial release. It sounds great on speakers but will blow your mind on Headphones.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 25
i'm with you on the Yo La Tengo, but only certain albums.
"and then nothing turned itself inside out" must be heard on headphones!

Painful i think needs to be blasted through speakers.
From a motel 6 is great thru headphones but it was a song that was meant to deafen many people at once. god that song is awesome.

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 25
microbunny - microbunny

sounds great normally, but I think it is only fully appreciated through headphones...

www.microbunny.com

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 25
i'm with trawlerman, dsotm is a must for any headphone fanatic, no doubt about it. radiohead amnesiac, ok computer awesome as well. i'll also agree with sigur ros, not for the speaker system, total magic on the headphone system!

Feb 18, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 25
Apoptygma Berzerk - Welcome to Earth

and

And One - Aggressor

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 25
the purpose of the thread i guess is that I feel that some music was made to be SPECIFICALLY enjoyed on headphones as opposed to speakers or live.

like i said

the microphones "glow pt.2" is really an intimate listen that is best heard when the "speakers" are really close to your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back