Music Leaking to the Outside
Oct 24, 2001 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cspenc

New Head-Fier
On the open phones such as the AKG 401/501 and the HD580/600, I was reading somewhere about how the music will leak to the outside. Is this significant. I listen to my headphones while studying around people, and I wouldn't want to the music leaking out. I listen at relatively low volumes, and I currently use the Sony MDR V250's, which don't seem to leak at all. Should I be expecting a lot more leak if I upgrade to these higher end phones?

Thanks,
Curtis

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 15
If you listen at relatively low volumes, it should be okay. Just figure out the volume you listen to, and take your present headphones, and move the earcups so they face you a little, and play it and walk away from the headphones. that is how loud it will be. You are getting a portable amp, correct?

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 15
the K401's do leak quite a bit of sound, as do the other headphones you mentioned; however, at low volumes that might not make too much a difference. Still, it might be better to get a pair of close headphones.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah I am debating between buying an amp or not. I was looking at the total airhead (the portable one) or the Little from headroom or the $199 creek amp. I don't use the system portably at all so I was thinking about getting one of the higher quality ones.

Curtis

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 15
I really like the Creek OBH-11SE, the bigger brother of the OBH-11. If it souns anything like the SE, and I'll bet it does, it's a great buy. I'm sure it would sound better than the TA. It should also power the AKG's reasonably well (btw, I'd reccomend the AKG K501 out of the four headphones you mentioned).

Oct 24, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 15
Is an amp really necessary? I can get huge volumes out of my mini system with my current headphones while only turning the volume knob up less than half way. The AKG's definately have lower impedance than the Sennheisers, so should they be okay without an amp?

Curtis

Oct 24, 2001 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 15
With those AKG's and Those senn's, yea, you'll need an amp. Not for volume, but for quality.

Unless you have a REALLY REALLY nice reciever... and even then...

Of the bunch, I THINK the 401's are the easiest to drive.

Oct 24, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 15
nope, the 401's are just as hard to drive as the 501's. the senns are easier to drive than the AKG's, regardless of impedance. the AKG's have a rather low sensitivity, and are extremely power-hungry. And Gluegun is right, an amp is necessary for quality as well.

Oct 24, 2001 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 15
I own the HD 580's and I can tell you the following with confidence (imho):

1. Get an amp. I used mine for about a year without an amp and they were "pretty darn good". When I got an amp they absolutely came to life to a point where the whole soundstage just opened up and there was detail present that I never knew existed. It's not about volume, it's about sound quality.

2. Forget about studying next to someone and thinking that they might not hear your tunes. They leak like a sieve. At a relatively high volume on your head, they are as loud on the outside as a tiny, tinny, shirtpocket am radio

Oct 24, 2001 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 15
If you are in the AV section of the Music library, I think people would be more tolerant. Yesterday I went to such a section of my university and I could just about hear everyone's music through the open Senn HD565s there. One of them has some classical music pumped way up and it was noisy to the point of annoyance all the way across the room! (admittedly not a big room
tongue.gif
) Anyway, you get the picture
eek.gif
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 24, 2001 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 15
Are there any sealed phones that can compare with these headphones I listed above. I suppose I could listen at decently low volumes, but will I still get a nice soundstage and detail in the music if I use an amp?

Thanks
Curtis

Oct 24, 2001 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 15
I'd get a pair of Sony MDR-V6s hands down if I were you. They're my primary headphones when I need a pair of accurate, closed headphones. And their price-to-performance ratio is so damn good, for $70, it's like you walked right into Sony Corp. and stole the V6s right from under their nose.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 15
the beyer is an incredible headphone! the price/performance ration isn't quite as good as the V6's, but they're clearly a superior headphone. If you're not interested in spending much money, get the V6. if you want a better closed headphone and are willing to spend more, get the beyer. that's my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back