Music in different languages (most interested in Japanese)
Aug 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I've been studying Japanese for a while now, and would really like some native music. Keep this in mind; having spoken word is VERY important. I would love to be able to listen to music and still be "studying" the language. I've already heard two Japanese rock groups, The Pillows and Nightmare. I would love to listen to really any music in the language. I know that Pop is very popular over there. Keep in mind my favorite genre is rock, but I'd love suggestions in all genres. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 25
Last.fm links:

Guitar Wolf: There's some spoken Japanese here but you ears may bleed from all the lo-fi noise.
biggrin.gif

Boris: One of my favorite bands. Not much lyrics except for their latest album "Smile" and "Pink". I prefer their earlier works.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 25
x2 on boris.

boris and Asva are the only drone/doom bands I consider listenable. Sunn O))) gives me a migraine.

Guitar Wolf is pretty okay.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 25
SECOND on guitar wolf and boris

Blankey Jet City makes some good rock music
Polysics make some wacky new wave mayhem
Number Girl are an amazing band
Cymbals makes poppy rock music
Midori is a band that features a schoolgirl with a red guitar. PROTIP: Midori is AWESOME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFH98-S7VY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbzQTj4CkRc had to post another one of these.... im sorry but a schoolgirl plus guns = awesome in my book.
Afrirampo are a girl punk outfit
Mono is a japanese post rock band kinda like explosions in the sky.

ENKA is a traditional style of singing in japan.
Meiko Kaji is an amazing enka singer and one of her songs was in kill bill.

here is a sort of best of enka cd Amazon.com: Enka Damashii: Enka Best: Various Artists: Music

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 25
My mother-in-law loves enka!

One of the big enka names right now is Jero. He's half African-American and half Japanese, and has an amazing knack for singing enka. It's just kind of weird to see this hip-hop fashioned 20 year old guy come out, speak fluent Japanese and belt out tunes that would make Tendo Yoshimi proud.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 25
Adding my recommendation for Boris. A lot of their music has difficult to hear vocals. I'd go with their album Rainbow with Michio Kurihara for that purpose.

Also consider anything by Ghost, Acid Mothers Temple (incidently, I don't think I've ever seen AMT mentioned here; also, be careful with your choice of their stuff as a lot is instrumental), Suichou no Fune, Marble Sheep, Circle Triangle Square, etc.

Japanese psych is a really diverse scene.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mother-in-law loves enka!

One of the big enka names right now is Jero. He's half African-American and half Japanese, and has an amazing knack for singing enka. It's just kind of weird to see this hip-hop fashioned 20 year old guy come out, speak fluent Japanese and belt out tunes that would make Tendo Yoshimi proud.

lol is that who that is.... every time I am searching through enka I see this black guy and Im like... mis categorized??? lol I guess not!

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 25
+ on AMT. I didn't mention it since most of it being instrumental but I don't think they are too diverse.
+ Afrirampo.. Just lovely.

I'll add OOIOO if your feeling adventurous. Yoshimi's group (from Boredoms).

Jero.. Wow. That is really special. I only have that one song by Meiko Kaji since I have the sound track to Kill Bill. Great song! I was browsing around for enka music and it sounds very similar to trot (Korean equivalent). I love the vocal inflections by the singers. Listen to it long enough and I'm afraid my eyes would start tearing up. Beautiful!

While we're on the subject, this should be a good read. Amazon.com: Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll: Julian Cope: Books I'll have to get it myself one day.

I have Copes Krautrock sampler. That's another genre I can never get tired of.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the vocal inflections by the singers. Listen to it long enough and I'm afraid my eyes would start tearing up. Beautiful!

exactly. such beautiful vocals. the music is usually paced so well. and the singers are able to convey such emotion... its a wonderful listen really. even if you do not understand the language it is worth it!

on a side note there is a band called kagrra that is flat out amazing. I haven't heard any of their newer stuff but their older albums and eps where pretty amazing. they would combine traditional japanese elements with rock music. pretty amazing. they are dudes though so sorry if it bothers you. that in itself is pretty traditional lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebyuW4TuH-g&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcV65BT4fc&fmt=18

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 25
Not Japanese, but you may like Korpiklaani and Teräsbetoni. They are folk metal and heavy metal respectively, and they sing many songs in Finnish.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on a side note there is a band called kagrra that is flat out amazing. I haven't heard any of their newer stuff but their older albums and eps where pretty amazing. they would combine traditional japanese elements with rock music. pretty amazing. they are dudes though so sorry if it bothers you. that in itself is pretty traditional lol!
YouTube - Yousai - Kagrra
YouTube - Kagrra - Kotodama

Haha. From those two links, not my cup of tea. I've heard a few bands trying to combine tradition music and it never worked for me except for Birushanah (metalish/droning). Forget about understanding their lyrics though.
tongue.gif

I really need to build a collection of traditional asian folk as some of it is really amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back