Music Hall vs. Jolida?
Jul 9, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 8
I can't comment on either one of those units specifically as I've never heard either, but I can say from experience that Jolida is having some serious quality control issues. I have a 1501RC I bought brand new--I haven't had it for 6 months yet and it's already been to the shop twice... FOR SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUSTING!

A bad mosfet overloaded a cap on my right channel and caused my amp to spew black smoke the first time.... went to the shop for 3 weeks, they said the problem was fixed... about two weeks later the same thing in the same channel, only this time there were sparks and flames accompanying the smoke!!

Now it's been 3 weeks since I sent it in, and they only just opened the ******** box I shipped it in to look at it today. They haven't called me back when they said the would and have been giving me the total run around--I have all but out right demanded a new unit (I leave my stereo on 24/7 and don't need to come back to a burnt out home), but there seems to be inconsistencies in that. Last week I was told a brand new one was shipped out to me, today I was told they just opened it to look at.

I'm getting tired of this crap! In the units defense, it sounds magnificent with my maggies--but I'll be *******ed if I give this company any more of my business!

Jul 9, 2003 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry to hear of your current plight, Gopher. I agree that yo should at least expect safety from a home component, if not reliability.

I've been eyeing new sources, looking for a warmer sound, and the Jolida was under consideration. But Tuberoller's initial comment regarding it's reliability (or lack thereof), was belied by his glowing review, just a few months later. Kinda confusing, so I've held off. Maybe the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb, or the Rega Planet 2k would be a better choices.

I hope this all works out for you, whether you get a new unit, a fixed unit, or a refund. I can imagine your frustration. Let us know how it pans out.

Jul 9, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 8
I personally have zero complaint with my Jolida JD100. It feels extremely sturdy, and has been operating flawlessly (had it for just 3 weeks though).

I would believe that the CDP is MUCH less subject to the issues described by Gopher and his hybrid amplifier because it is all low voltage signal.

I researched quite a bit before buying this CDP and did not find any user complaints regarding this particular model reliability. The previous generation had been criticized (JD601 or some similar number), but nobody seems to have issues with the JD100.

I would not dump a whole brand because of one of his products. I have no agenda with Jolida or anybody but I am sooo pleased with the sound of this CDP that I would find it shameful if people skip it for unjustified reasons. Give it a listen with 5751 tubes, and you shall soon forget everything else...

Arnaud.

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 8
I own the modified CD25 and think it's super nice. If you want to ask some one who no's about both players modified and stock, contact Walter at www.underwoodhifi.com he sells both models and has heard them both and has been very helpful with me. Also you can read reviews of the modified Jolida and the stock, level one, and level one plus CD25's at www.6moons.com

Jul 10, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 8
I have a sample of one JD-100. I bought the unit a year ago and have used it daily with no problems. It sounds great to my ears. Don't know about any QA problems with Jolida and I'd iterate that my experience is with this one cd player. I haven't heard the modded Music Hall but have been told it's very good also. Walter Liederman (underwoodwally on Audiogon) sells the stock Jolida as well as a modded one. Not sure what the mods are but it adds about 5 bills to the price. Mine is stock.

Jul 12, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 8
This is something that I'm very interested in hearing. I am still looking for a good source, though rather casually after fixing the brightness issues with my NS500V.

There's bound to be someone around who can do a direct comparison.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 12, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Like Ive said before, I love me some Music Hall. You can pick a used one up for $350 on Audiogon. I have the same SACD/Redbook combo. MMF CD25/NS500v and they both sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back