Music Hall MMF-2.2 a worthwhile upgrade from the 2.1?
Dec 30, 2007 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
I was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to try the MMF-2.2 yet to see if the upgraded tonearm made the table a worthwhile competitor to the Rega P1 or possibly the P2. Unfortunately I haven't seen a single review on the net, including the asylum, on how much this table has improved.

Most of the stuff I've read on the 2.1 was mixed, and most of the negatives pointed to the tonearm. The main reason I'm interested in the 2.2 is that it seems to be heavier and more attractive than the Rega P1 at the same price, that and I've been pleased with the Music Hall equipment that I've purchased in the past. I'd rather not step up to a $500+ table as I really just want to test the waters and see if I like having the option of vinyl in my setup, plus the phono pre will be an additional cost.

Any opinions would be appreciated. At this point I'd prefer a stand-alone purchase, and don't really have the experience to replace cartridges and tonearms right off the bat. If I'd have to pay $500+ for the table alone to get a decent experience, I'd rather not even bother at this point as means are too tight to splurge.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to try the MMF-2.2 yet to see if the upgraded tonearm made the table a worthwhile competitor to the Rega P1 or possibly the P2. Unfortunately I haven't seen a single review on the net, including the asylum, on how much this table has improved.

Most of the stuff I've read on the 2.1 was mixed, and most of the negatives pointed to the tonearm. The main reason I'm interested in the 2.2 is that it seems to be heavier and more attractive than the Rega P1 at the same price, that and I've been pleased with the Music Hall equipment that I've purchased in the past. I'd rather not step up to a $500+ table as I really just want to test the waters and see if I like having the option of vinyl in my setup, plus the phono pre will be an additional cost.

Any opinions would be appreciated. At this point I'd prefer a stand-alone purchase, and don't really have the experience to replace cartridges and tonearms right off the bat. If I'd have to pay $500+ for the table alone to get a decent experience, I'd rather not even bother at this point as means are too tight to splurge.

For testing the waters I would look for Memepool's quality used turntable list that he was kind enough to provide us.The best entry level tonearm remains the Rega 250 or Origin Live OL1 as sold by the needledoctor.They are not very difficult to change on tables made by Technics or Thorens because after market armboards are available for many models.You unscrew the old and screw in the new.Nothing to it.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 6
I was able to locate a demo Goldring 1.2 a few days ago which has a modified RB250 tonearm with a less robust ball-bearing from what I read. The table isn't the most attractive in the world (grey painted MDF), but it should be a good starter table that's a step in the right direction.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was able to locate a demo Goldring 1.2 a few days ago which has a modified RB250 tonearm with a less robust ball-bearing from what I read. The table isn't the most attractive in the world (grey painted MDF), but it should be a good starter table that's a step in the right direction.

I tend to like heavier tables the way the better vintage ones use to be made or the Technics 1200/1210 which is also a heavy table,(not much fun to move around).The bottom line is cost.A new Rega 250/Origin Live OL1 tonearm will cost about $250.Mods can be worth another $300 depending on what was done to it.If you can get the table for the cost of the arm,consider it a good value.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 6
It was ~$250 + shipping for the 1.2 with no mods, which I thought was quite reasonable. The way it looked would lead me to believe it's no more than 10 pounds though. At least it leaves me money for a phono stage, some vinyl and a few bucks to build some interconnects for it, I'll just have to find out if it's DIN to RCA or RCA to RCA. I guess I'll also need the obligatory Shure Stylus force gauge, a record brush, and VPIs little cross-level too. Any other recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back