Music Hall CD25.2 Schematic...
Feb 14, 2007 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to locate a schematic for this player and no one seems to have one, even Roy Hall or Underwood HiFi.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These guys also mod the 25.2...
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com
They might be able to help you. Good luck.

Hey, thanks! I totally forgot about "RAM". I'll go drop them a line right now.
icon10.gif

Thanks again!

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 15
Your best bet might be to call the manufacturer and see if you can order the service manual.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your best bet might be to call the manufacturer and see if you can order the service manual.

I already wrote to Roy Hall. According to him, there IS no service manual, and it's been well over a week since I asked him about a schematic with no response.

I've even written several shops that do mods to the CD25.2, and none of them have schematics, so they claim. I think it's total BS to be perfectly honest with you.
mad.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 15
Ok, so apparently everyone who is involved in some way with the CD25.2... well, nevermind. No one "has" a schematic, "no" service manual exists, there's no list of components, etc, etc, etc... It's like one big mistery. OOOoooo.
rolleyes.gif

Let's get real. This player is good, but it's not that good, and it's certainly not holding any audio industry secrets under the hood. I don't understand what the heck the big deal is. I mean, anyone who knows electronics real good and knows schematics could just as easily look at the PCB in this thing and have it figured out in his/her head in a matter of minutes. I, unfortunately, don't have that talent... yet!

So, with all of you smart dudes and dudettes here, do any of you know anything about the workings of this player? What can those 4 opamps be upgraded to? And what the heck are those two huge white 1uF caps towards the rear of the player? I don't think they're the output caps since all of the "upgraded" units with the "upgraded" output caps still have these stock caps in place.

Any help from you guys/gals will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 15
I've never seen such piss-poor support in all my life, especially from the "man" himself. I'm half tempted to pitch the darn thing and get something else just for that reason alone.

Thanks regal. I might shoot them a note and see what they say, IF I decide to keep it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 15
Take some pictures of the circuit board(s) and I will be interested to check them out. I don't know what kind of mods you want but if we can identify some of the chip and caps we'll know more than we do now.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take some pictures of the circuit board(s) and I will be interested to check them out. I don't know what kind of mods you want but if we can identify some of the chip and caps we'll know more than we do now.

PM sent!
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 15
I have the same problem, Chops. I buyed my music hall cd25.2 almost 2 years ago here in Germany. Of course I tried to get the schematic diagram from the german distributor but without success. I also tried to get the diagram directly from music hall in USA. Also no reaction. Furthermore I tried to get the diagram from Shanling for their CD100 Player (http://www.shanling.com/English/A100_CD100_TU100.htm) which is almost identical to the music hall cd25.2. Just a better transformer (C-Core Transformer instead a toroidal transformer, as used in the cd25.2).
The Creek Evolution CD-Player (http://www.creekaudio.com/main_produ...prolook=evo_cd) is also almost identical to the cd25.2. Maybe I should send an e-Mail to Creek for a diagram of their Player.
Please tell me if you got the diagram in the meantime between now and your last post (02-23-2007).

Greetings from Berlin

P.S.: I also changed the OPs. I use the Burr Brown OPA551. Also as an exchange for the Dual-OP. I realized it with a small adapter board (2 OPs on one small board). The result was and is amazing! The OPA551 is really an insider's tip. Give it a try; you won't regret it!
P.P.S.: Just a question: Could it be that the music hall cd25.2 doesn't react sensitive when it comes to power chord change? I changed the stock power chord to a DNM reson solid core power chord and checked the phase but couldn't hear a difference. Usually I hear ANY changes; people say I'm the man with the bat ears.
icon10.gif
Please tell me, what you think about it! I'm looking forward to your answer!

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Introspector /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem, Chops. I buyed my music hall cd25.2 almost 2 years ago here in Germany.

Chops sold me his cd25.2. I sent it off to RAM for the power and analog stage mods and it sounds fantastic. Can't tell you what they changed as they cut the wraps off the caps. As far as I'm concerned, if it breaks I'm sending it back to RAM and paying them to buy replacement parts and fix them.

BTW, Chops had OPA627s in the output stage. RAM pulls them out and replaces them with transformers.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Introspector, I've changed the opamps and power cord on my 25.2. I found the power cord (shunyata venom) provided a significant improvement, even more so than the RAM opa627's w/ blackgates i dropped in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back