Music Hall CD25.2 or IMOD w/V-Cap Dock?
Sep 24, 2008 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
How would these compare as sources?

Ive listened to the Music Hall CD25.2 and was impressed.

Would the Imod/V-Cap Dock be an even better combo?

I know that a portable used as a home source seems to deter people, but the Imod/V-Cap Dock seems to really be a great source.

I already have an Imod, so the price of either would be about the same. All i need is the V-Cap dock for the Imod.

Ive read that with the V-Cap dock, the sound can compete with 1000-1500 range cdps. Skylab especially seemed to show enthusiasm with the V-Cap dock with the Imod.

One other quick question......

If i use either sources with the Headamp GS-1, will i need a dac and/ or preamp? Not exactly sure if i know what im talking about.

Will it sound good just running either directly to the amp, then headphones?

Appreciate any feedback guys, sort of new to the "Home Rig" department.
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 31
I don't know where you got the impression that a relatively cheap Wolfson DAC (classified not even as a DAC but as a "low power CODEC") with some insanely overpriced Teflon caps in a box is going to beat a relatively nice CD player, but just look at the specs and figure it out.
EDIT: Oops, my mistake, not Teflon caps, perhaps there's a tiny Teflon bypass, they're just Oil + Poly film caps.

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got that impression from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/im...k-soup-251248/

Skylab seemed to think it was pretty good even compared to some $1000cdps.

Thats why im interested, because i already have an imod, so why purchase a 1000 cdp or dac, when i can just purchase the V-Cap dock for my Imod?

No capacitor is going to make an average quality V-out DAC sound better than any reasonable quality DAC with a discrete output stage or an I-out DAC with a proper I/V.

Mostly, I'm just REALLY not a fan of overpaying by THAT much for a pair of caps.

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly, I'm just REALLY not a fan of overpaying by THAT much for a pair of caps.

Read this post and scroll down to my makeshift option...
It ought to "cure" the big money problem...

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 31
Nice link Ori, I've read that before. I've built quite a few cap docks for my diyMods, currently I'm just really enjoying the 1.0uF VitaminQ caps for home-based amps and 4.7uF Sonicap Gen 1 for portables. Great bang/buck and perfect size to fit into Hammond 1455C80x cases.

Still, compared to a proper DAC, there is no comparison no matter what output caps you use.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 31
Not necessarily.

Here's a good analogy: It doesn't matter that you spend $10,000 on Lamborghini suspensions, $10,000 on twin-turbos, $5,000 on tuning transmission and rebuilding engine, your $10,000 Honda Civic with $25,000 in upgrades isn't going to beat a $35,000 Subaru WRX STI in a race.

But also, it will rock the socks off a $50,000 minivan.
tongue.gif

Get the idea?

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 31
FWIW, I really enjoyed the musichall cd25.2 hooked directly to the G-lite/DPS. That is, until i upgraded to a tube amp. I was using Grado rs1 and 225 at the time.

Also, the opamps on the cd25.2 are easily exchangeable. The often found recommendation for using BB opa627s really does sound nice. And i found the cd player responded well to aftermarket power cables if you're interested in that sort of thing.
biggrin.gif

mike

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 31
cool, thanks for the input!!!

Can anyone tell me the difference between a cdp and a dac? even preamp?

Why do some only have one, but others use both?

CDP->Amp->Headphone (correct?) or

(computer?)->Dac->Amp->Headphone (????) or

CDP->Dac->Amp->Headphone (????)

Lol, i dont even really understand what interconnects go where?

Im kind of new to this so any help is much appreciated!!!

Have about a 3000.00 budget so im trying to work with that.

I love the sound of my Imod/iQube/ALO Custom LOD/UE-11

But i really want a full size setup

Thanks guys

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 31
Every cd player has a digital-to-analog coverter (DAC) built in. You can choose to use the cd player's internal DAC by simply running interconnects between the RCA jacks and your amp.

However, some people like to use outboard DAC's. Most cd players will have a digital out connection, which allows you to bypass the cd player's dac and use whatever outboard DAC you want. There's plenty of opinions on this forum as to which is the better route.

A Preamp isn't necessary for music listening. However, by placing a preamp in the chain between your cd player and amp allows you to run other sources to your amp (such as a tuner, turntable, etc) without constantly swapping interconnects back and forth.

Don't get overwhelmed. There's lots of choices out there, but buying equipment is a fun and enjoyable experience. I'd love to be in your position again, about to buy some equipment. Enjoy it!!!

mike

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool, thanks for the input!!!

Can anyone tell me the difference between a cdp and a dac? even preamp?

Why do some only have one, but others use both?

CDP->Amp->Headphone (correct?) or

(computer?)->Dac->Amp->Headphone (????) or

CDP->Dac->Amp->Headphone (????)

Lol, i dont even really understand what interconnects go where?

Im kind of new to this so any help is much appreciated!!!

Have about a 3000.00 budget so im trying to work with that.

I love the sound of my Imod/iQube/ALO Custom LOD/UE-11

But i really want a full size setup

Thanks guys

Sounds like an expensive portable setup you have... hope it's worth the cost, because I think a stationary setup at half the cost of that will absolutely destroy it.

To help you understand you have to break down the components.

You must have all of these to listen to headphones:

1) Storage Media (iPod disk, CD, DVD, computer disk, etc)
2) Transport (iPod interface, CD/DVD Player to read CD, PC CDROM, etc)
3) DAC (built-in DAC in iPod, inside CD Player, on soundcard, or stand-alone). A DAC must exist in the chain, it coverts digital signal into analog audio signal.
4) Amplifier (built-in to iPod, inside CD Player, on soundcard, or stand-alone). Again, you need some amplification from the DAC as DACs are designed to drive line-level signals, not headphones.
5) Headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Where you stick all of those components is up to you. You can go all standalone, or you can use composite solutions. I always prefer standalone, more choice, but in the end it's up to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back