Music Forum rediscovered
Oct 2, 2002 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
Just like to say that this forum has been a great help to me tonight. My music collection has really dried up recently... hardly doing much listening lately. So. A friend asked me to lend her my COF: Dusk and Her Embrace, and seeing as she has a huge collection, I figured I should as least borrow one of her too...

Browsed this forum looking for ideas on what to borrow...
Turns out she almost doesn't have anything I'm looking for, but I've got myself a new shopping list
biggrin.gif

Opeth--which album to get for the best 'Symphonic Metal'?

Therion--Deggial (this one she can lend me
biggrin.gif
)

Led Zeppelin, Dream Theatre, Tool--which album?

and also some random stuff I picked out of some posts:
The Third and the Mortal--Tears Laid in Earth

The Original Star Wars Trilogy: A New Hope (got two SW CDs, but the one I like better is the soundtrack for X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
tongue.gif
-- figure I can do better than that
redface.gif
(the other one is 'Star Wars: the Best Collection--Special Limited Edition: ULTRA SOUND 24 BIT DSP' -- sounds like crap I think?
rolleyes.gif
)

Shakira: Laundry Service
evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 2, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey Joe,

Tool - Ænima or Lateralus are great albums (any Tool album is though) My personal all time favorite album is Ænima so I would highly recommend picking that one up. It may take a few listens to really get into it but once you do....

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I second Ænima for Tool. Good stuff.

I'm not the one to ask about which Zeppelin album to start with. I'd tell you to buy the box set. But, really, with a band as good as Led Zeppelin, you might as well start in the beginning. All their albums are great, and you'll get a much better feel for the band and the evolution of their sound if you listen to their albums sequentially. I've been listening to as much of The Song Remains The Same [OST] as I could find online in the last couple days. Truly amazing stuff -- it's their only live album, and it really is stunning to hear these guys sound better on the stage than they do in the studio. And who isn't in audio nirvana listening to a twenty-seven-mintue version of "Dazed and Confused?" Ahh. ...

I've been wanting to listen to some Dream Theater, too, so I'll be insterested in seeing what responses come of that. I don't know a thing about the rest of the bands on your list.

kerelybonto

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Opeth-Blackwater Park (the other three are also great...)
Led Zeppelin-II & IV are classics The Song Remains the Same is a very good live album
Tool-Lateralus (all the other are class A too...)
Therion-Deggial - it's good...worth listening
Dream Theater-Metropolis II (Images & Words and Awake are also great...)
warmly recommend :
Tristania-Widow's WeedS and Beyond the Veil

Oct 3, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Opeth--which album to get for the best 'Symphonic Metal'?

Blackwater Park Quote:

Therion--Deggial (this one she can lend me
biggrin.gif
)

Borrow it. Quote:

Led Zeppelin, Dream Theatre, Tool--which album?

Led Zep -- I or II, DT -- When Dream and Day Unite, Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Dream (or whatever it's called), Tool -- can't go wrong. Quote:

and also some random stuff I picked out of some posts:
The Third and the Mortal--Tears Laid in Earth

Was that me? I am the only one I know who has heard (of) this band -- lemme know what you think. Quote:

The Original Star Wars Trilogy: A New Hope

Better not to give money to a plagiarist -- get Holst's The Planets and the other works from which they're derived, you'll be better off.

Oct 3, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Was that me? I am the only one I know who has heard (of) this band -- lemme know what you think.

Nope
evil_smiley.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=4976

Hmm, still, sounds like I may have quite some trouble finding this album--this is HK ya know
wink.gif
The last time I held a shopping list I got, like, 1 out of 5...
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 3, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Hey Joe,

Tool - Ænima or Lateralus are great albums (any Tool album is though) My personal all time favorite album is Ænima so I would highly recommend picking that one up. It may take a few listens to really get into it but once you do....

I bought this album for my brother like five years ago. He's always told me I'd like Tool, but I never really gave them a listen. I'm a huge Matthew Good fan and there are tons of other MG fans who love Tool, so I'll be sure to give Tool a few serious listens sometime really soon. Thanks for the encouragement.

Oct 3, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 8
hey joe, this forum is great for two things: discovering new music through other peoples recommendations and emptying your wallet, although I guess most of the forums in this community are pretty good at that also.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back