Music Fidelity X-10v3 Tube Buffer Stage
Nov 23, 2004 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jeffro

100+ Head-Fier
Music Direct has been advertizing this product like mad. I am surprised no one has posted about this product - maybe I just missed the post. I am not even sure if this is the correct forum to ask these questions, but here I go.

Has anyone used this buffer stage? How does it sound? I would be particularly interested in how it sounds with a cd source.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 23, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 11
It is hard to believe that the v3 is much different from the earlier versions. As I recall Hirsch and Nick Dangerous gave the old x10 a spin. You can find comments by searching!
cool.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Check current issue of Stereophile, Sam Tellig reviews three MF products:

X-Ray v3 (CD player)
X-PSU v3 (premium power supply)
X-10 v3 (tube buffer)

Never owned one, but older X-10 models used typical glass tubes and newest model uses the small metal military tubes/design of Tri-Vista products.

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Check out Audioasylum.com as well. I think someone there didn't really like what it did in his system.....

I heard the first generation of it, it was good, but didn't impress me a LOT for the money.....

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Thank you all for your comments.

I searched for this product earlier, but never thought to search for the old version. It looks like a product to stay away from. Thank you Head-FI!!!

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 11
If you get chance read the Stereophile review at local bookstore, Tellig was actually very impressed with new X-10 v3. But of course you need the extra cost X-PSU v3 to really sound good..........this is the problem for me. I don't like all the seperate boxes which all require more expensive IC cables and AC cords etc. too complicated and messy for me.

Although I am using external Dac now and Preamp/Amp I really would rather eliminate Dac with new/better CDP and get high end integrated amp to have fewest cables/boxes possible.

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 11
I think it was Tellig who reviewed the original X10 very positively in Stereophile several years ago, in fact leading me to pick one up used for $100. I've tried several iterations of my speaker and HP setups with the buffer in and out, and almost universally prefer it IN. That may be due to my penchant for low budget (but musical) sources, but it brings a liquid sonic delivery and improved soundstage to the table. Music just sounds more... musical through the buffer, esp. with hotrodded tubes. I hope to audition the new v3 in the coming months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back