Music City Meet - Nashville, Spring 2018, March 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

kilkil

500+ Head-Fier
Impressions Thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-city-meet-nashville-spring-2018-march-3-impressions.873628/

Date/Time
: Spring 2018, Saturday March 3rd / 10 am CT Start (9 am for setup)

: About an hour east of Nashville, 2 hours north of Chattanooga, 2 hours west of Knoxville
1847 Puckett Point Rd, Smithville, TN 37166
Best approach: I-40 to Exit #273 that is TN56 South. Cross the bridge, then Puckett Point Rd will be on your left.
Tom's house is a ways down (1.7 miles) Puckett Point Rd, on the left side.

For the people coming from Kentucky on I65, I don't recommend getting off the interstate before exit 38 in KY due to small curvy country road driving for many hours. Thus i recommend exit 38 or exit 2 in KY.

Parking
: The house is on the left side of the road with a driveway that can hold 4 cars (2 must be compact). Across the street there is a light blue garage, that is also mine, it has another 6-8 parking spaces, plus parking on grass as needed (just past the house on the left side of the road and around the garage, making sure not to block my neighbors driveways).

Food
: I'll have something to eat, not sure what yet (possibly chili if cold outside, or grill something if it is warmer out). Feel free to bring food and drinks to share.

Beverage
: Alcohol is allowed, even encouraged!

Here's the link to the impressions from a previous meet in Spring, 2016:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...ring-2016-pictures-impressions-thread.804569/

Looking forward to see everyone again!

Sunday after the meet: Depending on weather, Pontoon boat ride on the lake for anyone still in town.

Vendors:

Audeze Rep is planning on being here.
Schitt Rep is planning on being here.

Gear-Fi:

Kilkil:
- Headphones: AT W5000, AKG K550, AKG K501, AKG K701, AKG K7XX
- Amp: Dynahi (DIY designed by Kevin Gilmore)
- Source: Schiit Yggdrasil
- CIEM: Alclair Studio 4
- Home System: Schiit Yggdrasil > Tortuga Audio LDR Passive Pre > Pass Labs XA30.5 > Quad ESL 2905 + Rythmik F15 Sub (set at 40Hz crossover)

RCBinTN:
LCD-4 and Wywires Platinum cable
my mobile rig...AK240 + Oppo HA-2

93EXCivic:
Lotoo PAW 5000
Zishan Z2
Grado SR80 (originals)
Grado SR60e (modified)
Realistic Pro 50 (Sextett drivers)
Yamaha HP1 (modified)
HD600
B&O H6
Schiit Modi
Schiit Magni 2
Bravo V2 hybrid (modified)

hassy500:
Shiit stack (Modi 2 Multi/Magni 3) and HD 6xx

antimatter:
MFSL gold
cdp-xa7es
se-p900
dsha-2
hd800

JoeDoe:
AGD R2R 2, C2, MAD Ear+HD, PS1k, HD800S, and HD650s baby!

Àedhàn Cassiel:
LCD-3, HD800, and Mjolnir 1

ThePianoMan:
Schittkit
Modded/EQ'd HD800 (SDR + pad swap) and Mr. Speaker's Aeon Flow Closed
I've also got an ifi ican pro, idac and iDSD nano BL I'll be bringing as well.

evanrude:
LCD-2
LCD-3
LCD-MX4
LCD-X
LCD-XC
SINE DX
iSINE10
iSINE20
LCDi4
LCD-2C

architect5150:
Aune S6 DAC/Amp
Bottlehead Crack and S.E.X3.0 kit with C4S active load
Feliks Elise with TS5998s and stock 6SN7s
Dharma D1000 Hybrids
ZMF Ori Zebrawood (slightly modded)
ZMF Eikon Padauk (slightly modded)
B&W P7
Grado RS2e if at all relevant
POSSIBLY an Airist Heron 5 and Dennis Had Inspire IHA-1, they are both on loan though so can't be certain they will come back by then.

buke9:
Schiit Yggdrasil
Amps and Sound Kenzie
Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Bottlehead Crack
Stax SRM-1 MKII
Chord Mojo
Questyle QP1R
Echobox Explorer (maybe if i get it back)
MR Speakers Ether-C
HD-800
HD-700
HD-6xx
Koss ESP 950
Fostex TX0
Grado RS1
Meze 99 Classics
HE-400
HE-400S
HE-500
AKG K872
AKG K240 Sextett
AKG K240 Monitors
EMU Purplehearts
And if any is interested I can bring some IEM's
Echobox Finder X-1
1More Triple Driver
1More Quad Driver
Havi B3 Pro 1
KZ ZST
KZ ATE
KZ ZS6
And to round it all off i have a pair of JPS Lads Abyss 1266's on the way.
Also the Alex Cavalli CTH Massdrop amp should drop by then also but not holding my breath.

Mshenay

Hifiman HM901 with my Pico Power for SE headphones and my iBasso PB2 for balanced Headphones with my Ol Switcher in the middle + the Shanling M3S. Amp wise I'll have my NFB10ES2 which is my primary Dac and it has it's own Balanced out but I'll likely bring my Project Ember II and hopefully my Modded/Re-Capped Appj pa1502a.

Headphone wise, HD 800 SDR mod in mine and a reCable.
Zmf Eikon, HD 800, 2012 Pre-Fazor LCD 2, HE 4, HE 4XX, Akg K240, Modded ATH ES10 with my amp/Dacs on my 8' and my portables on a smaller 2' if that's alright would likely by what I take along.

Cool Jazz
A battery powered tube HD amp...if it's done. And some moosic via an Astell & Kern AK70 mkII.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 133
I know it is early to schedule, if we start this thread early, we might get a better turnout at this meet.

I'm thinking Saturday March 3rd at my place. I open to other suggestions.

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 133
Thanks for getting this organized, Tom, and for inviting us to your home again.

Maybe this time, I will take you up on the Montecristo offer!
I finally got my humidor up to 70%. The trick was to spill water in the bottom on the wood.
May start growing my own tobacco in there...

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 133
Thanks for getting this organized, Tom, and for inviting us to your home again.

Maybe this time, I will take you up on the Montecristo offer!
I finally got my humidor up to 70%. The trick was to spill water in the bottom on the wood.
May start growing my own tobacco in there...

Sounds good. Be careful not to get humidity too high, we don't want any green stuff growning. I'm wishing i was home now, so i can enjoy one.

I am in and checked with the wifey this time. So I should be good to go.
Glad you can make it. Hopefully choosing the date early will have a better turnout.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 133
Gents,

This is my first post since 2004-ish...

Needless to say I've been out of the game for a comically loooooong time, but have a Shiit stack (Modi 2 Multi/Magni 3) and HD 6xx on order.

I'm light on gear, but would like to attend. I'm down for food/liqueur/manual labor or whatever in exchange for my noob ears.

Seriously, I'm happy to help with whatever. Thanks for the kind hosting offer. :beerchug:

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 133
We are happy to have you join us. I hope you enjoy the seinheiser.
Gents,

This is my first post since 2004-ish...

Needless to say I've been out of the game for a comically loooooong time, but have a Shiit stack (Modi 2 Multi/Magni 3) and HD 6xx on order.

I'm light on gear, but would like to attend. I'm down for food/liqueur/manual labor or whatever in exchange for my noob ears.

Seriously, I'm happy to help with whatever. Thanks for the kind hosting offer. :beerchug:

Dec 29, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 133
Thank you kilkil et al. I'm excited about the rig and getting together. I'm in Metro here.

It took a week of trolling here just to get back up to speed. Last I remember, I was moving towards ordering a mint kit to DIY and had a small Stax SRS 005 rig as my intro to Mid-Fi. Times have sure changed.

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 133
Thank you kilkil et al. I'm excited about the rig and getting together. I'm in Metro here.

It took a week of trolling here just to get back up to speed. Last I remember, I was moving towards ordering a mint kit to DIY and had a small Stax SRS 005 rig as my intro to Mid-Fi. Times have sure changed.

It looks like i joined HeadFi about a year after you. My start was with a DIY Millett-Hybrid, moved up to the Onix xcd88 cd player (which i upgraded the op-amps), and I bought and sold headphones about every month for a while trying different ones, and picked AKG K501 as my favorite (I miss the time when $300 was a lot for headphones). Wondered what a better amp would sound like, and really enjoyed the DIY experience, and wanting to build the best possible, i went with a Dynahi, which i still use and slowly added additional headphones and a home system. Now I still enjoy headphones, but i mostly listen in airport/airplanes and use my office and home systems most of the rest of the time.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 133
It looks like i joined HeadFi about a year after you. My start was with a DIY Millett-Hybrid, moved up to the Onix xcd88 cd player (which i upgraded the op-amps), and I bought and sold headphones about every month for a while trying different ones, and picked AKG K501 as my favorite (I miss the time when $300 was a lot for headphones). Wondered what a better amp would sound like, and really enjoyed the DIY experience, and wanting to build the best possible, i went with a Dynahi, which i still use and slowly added additional headphones and a home system. Now I still enjoy headphones, but i mostly listen in airport/airplanes and use my office and home systems most of the rest of the time.

Nice. I've a background in photography, so I have moved up the tech tree from the bottom myself. Now I have little gear and less time to use it as I would like (architecture, landscape). Although we simply adjust the hobby to the circumstances, it's too bad I seem to pick the expensive pastimes. Like the old greeting : "Sorry about your wallet."

Similarly, my budding rig will live 50/50% at work and home. If the only time for listening is during work (@ both locations), so be it. I'm looking forward to hearing my favorite tracks for the first time again.

*(Cue nostalgic music, blurry fade-in and rose-tinted glasses)*

I remember wanting to get a set of Grado 225's and amp back in the day, as the Senn 600 re-cabled and properly amp'd were outside my budget after a source purchase. I still have the Sherwood-Newcastle CD 980 with the box (it had a decent Burr-Brown OpAmp for cheap). The Stax rig was super-detailed but too thin everywhere else and a poor/uncomfortable fit for me. I'm sure better electrostatic setups are far more enjoyable.

This is going to be fun! Thanks again for the invite.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 133
And I agree with the scaled expenses, but wonder how I'm getting the Schiit stack, 6xx, and renting a source (Tidal Lossless) for roughly $420. I'll reserve judgement until I hear em, but it seems like a lot of SQ for someone to walk in the door and achieve for just a few bills.

Did I mention I'm excited? :)

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 133
It is great to be excited. I always love getting a new piece of equipment, though they are far between nowadays.

With Schiit and Massdrop, an inexpensive midfi rig is easily doable without much investment. Back 13 years ago, what i considered Hifi, i would put into the midfi category now, equipment is able to reproduce better and better, though there is still something magical about a live unplugged experience that i have yet to get in any recorded (or plugged live) listening session.

I've been to several of the Brentwood and Nashville photography club meetings in years past (3-6 years ago), potentially i've seen you there.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 133
With Schiit and Massdrop, an inexpensive midfi rig is easily doable without much investment. Back 13 years ago, what i considered Hifi, i would put into the midfi category now, equipment is able to reproduce better and better, though there is still something magical about a live unplugged experience that i have yet to get in any recorded (or plugged live) listening session.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 133
Operator error.

I agree with the above statement. I used to see some good jazz in ATL and here several years ago. Ain't nothing like the real thing, but you can get close(r)...

Haven't been to the photo clubs here, unfortunately. I'm at a really busy point right now, with almost no free time. Hence, family pics and crappy IEM's when I workout are the order of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back