Music bitrate?
Jul 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #31 of 39
now i rip to flac and then encode to apple lossless for ipod use

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robster1958 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if i had the time and patience, i would take all my cd's and re-rip in lossless for archival purposes. then i would compress them all down to 256vbr or some relatively efficient format (under 10 MB per song).

V0 (the max and default setting in LAME) is typically fine and most songs won't reach 10 MB at all, unless it's a long song.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not Rockbox it!?

Maybe because he is pleased with the Apple firmware and Apple Lossless...
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you can tell between 128 and 320!

Try this:

mp3 or not - Don't you hear it?

However of course, equipment is important to help tell the difference.

haha, this was a great test for my new sleeks. I listened first with my se210 and they sounded the same. without picking an answer, I put in my sleeks and tried again. After that, it was easy to pick the 320kbps - and I got it right.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jws919 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, this was a great test for my new sleeks. I listened first with my se210 and they sounded the same. without picking an answer, I put in my sleeks and tried again. After that, it was easy to pick the 320kbps - and I got it right.

Yeah, it's just a mini web-based ABX test really.
Unfair comparison though (SA6 vs. SE210) :p

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #38 of 39
Heres what I am currently doing: download lossless for your FAVORITE tracks/artists/albums. My current files are mostly 128-256 kbps which isnt all that great. Over time I suspect I will upgrade to completely 256+ but right now I dont have enough room on my mp3 player to hold a whole collection of lossless files. So if I end up download 320+ bitrate or lossless files for 1/4 or 1/5 of my music then all my favs (which I will end up listening to more closely) will be at the quality I want.

If you have enough room on your player to double the size of your collection, then definitely upgrade completely.

Torrents are the best for downloading lossless music - go for demonoid.com or isohunt.com (demonoid needs an invite from a current member but is better than isohunt - I can probably invite you if you want pm me)

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Torrents are the best for downloading lossless music - go for xxxx1.com or xxxx2.com (xxxx1 needs an invite from a current member but is better than xxxx2 - I can probably invite you if you want pm me)

I am not sure if we are allowed to discuss this kind of way to acquire music in here. At least no specific bittorrent sites are known to link to copyrighted material...
Better play it safe..
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back