Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #31 of 1,181
Ah...your just well versed on the Neutron-V30 audio aspects...so don't worry about those, I will ask the developer for details...

Here's a couple more questions more up your alley:

1. I spend a lot of time with the battery saver feature engaged (mid not max)...is this negatively affecting the best sound? I actually couldn't figure out why i was getting a greyed out "always on" screen and it would just blank out when double-tapped--it's because of being this mode!

2. I hear a lot of talk on here about IEMs of course. Myself i have very sensitive hearing (and not in a good way with that in that i have to usually wear some kind of earplug with loud events), complete with some varying tinnitis. However, my hearing is still very nuanced at the same time and can pick up subtle details. Anyway, after suffering "something" in college many moons ago i went without headphones for quite some time so IEMs are a bit too "close" in for me . They are also incredibly confusing in that there's tons of options and there's the fit itself. One big one i see if FLC8...11 ohms but only 93db sensitive (like 400i / MD 4XXX planars). Must be a difference o the FLC8 get plenty loud with the V30? Has anyone actually seen how good/bad the AKG-tuned ones that come with the V30+ are?

3. Finally, above you linked a site that mentioned using a headphone extension cable WITH an high-impedance adapter to get max volume. The site showed an adapter that looked just like a regular 1/8 to 1/4 plug--no cable. Do you have an amazon link for something like that to accomplish the same trick to keep the conversion as discrete as possible?

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #32 of 1,181
Ok, time to put on my newb hat.

Those of you who use UAPP, are you having playback issues while streaming Tidal MQA tacks? When playing a song, if I go into settings or the screen turns off, the playback is choppy and will skip seconds ahead or behind. This doesn't happen with FLAC tracks.

Also, I am using the app without the hires driver (just figured out I have to email them to request it).

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #33 of 1,181
Bluetooth requires you to keep your headphones charged, but still run the risk of them failing at a crucial moment - not just because of the batteries running flat - the headphones can simply become unpaired when connections drop, which is a 100% guarantee at some point; dropouts are a regular occurrence with Bluetooth.

First of all, thanks a lot for your informative thread! Since I plan to finally retire my trusty old Samsung Galaxy S3 and am considering the LG V30 as a replacement, this is extremly helpful.

With that said, while I mostly use a wired connection at home, I've switched to Bluetooth for mobile listening a long time ago and never looked back. In mobile surroundings, I personally can hear no difference between a wired connection and BT-streaming from my SGS3 to my A&K XB10. And the convenience of using my phone for things like reading e-books or web-browsing without any wire attached is something I wouldn't want to miss any more.

Therefore my crucial question: is the instability with Bluetooth you mention, such as unpairing due to connection drop or regular dropouts, something you've personally experienced with your V30, or gathered from other V30 reviews? Just asking, because even my 5 year old SGS3 exhibits maybe 3-5 dropouts at max per WEEK and never once unpaired my headphones due to a connection drop. I'm very much eyeing the V30 atm, but not being able to retain a reliable BT connection would be a no-go for me.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #34 of 1,181
First of all, thanks a lot for your informative thread! Since I plan to finally retire my trusty old Samsung Galaxy S3 and am considering the LG V30 as a replacement, this is extremly helpful.

With that said, while I mostly use a wired connection at home, I've switched to Bluetooth for mobile listening a long time ago and never looked back. In mobile surroundings, I personally can hear no difference between a wired connection and BT-streaming from my SGS3 to my A&K XB10. And the convenience of using my phone for things like reading e-books or web-browsing without any wire attached is something I wouldn't want to miss any more.

Therefore my crucial question: is the instability with Bluetooth you mention, such as unpairing due to connection drop or regular dropouts, something you've personally experienced with your V30, or gathered from other V30 reviews? Just asking, because even my 5 year old SGS3 exhibits maybe 3-5 dropouts at max per WEEK and never once unpaired my headphones due to a connection drop. I'm very much eyeing the V30 atm, but not being able to retain a reliable BT connection would be a no-go for me.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Glad you found the thread helpful - and thanks for the thanks. It makes it all worthwhile :)

FWIW, I do own a lot of BT devices and use them when it's convenient. My ongoing (painful) experience with BT is what led to my rant. Yes, I regularly experience connection drops with the V30, but I really don't think the V30 is at fault here. I get the same issues with my S8, S7 Edge, iOS devices (I'm ashamed to admit I still own an iPad), FiiO X7, X7ii and X1ii and Shanling M1. On the receiving end, I have a Bose Soundlink Mini, several UE Booms (versions 1 & 2) and a Soundmatters Foxl V2 Platinum speaker, plus too many BT headsets to mention. I've also owned the A&K XB10. I sold it in disappointment, but I'll admit it's one of the better BT receivers out there and the noise floor (from its balanced 2.5 mm output) is one of the quieter noise floors I've heard from a BT device. Here's my main issue with the XB10 - if you're going to plug your wired headphones into something, why not just plug them directly into your phone? :wink:

I agree with your comment about BT probably being "good enough" for most situations where you're outside and there's a lot of other ambient noise to compete with. But there are other issues beyond that. I listed quite a few problems in my impressions of the Bose SoundSport free here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bose-soundsport-free.860976/#post-13960145

Some of the issues I addressed in that post are obviously unique to that particular BT headset, but many are common to all BT headsets. The main point in my earlier rant is that for BT (or predominantly BT) users, you could be wasting your money on a V30. The V30's one big advantage is its DAC and amp and you're not benefitting from either of them when using Bluetooth.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #35 of 1,181
Unfortunately, I have the same experience. Your approach is good advice for others - when switching music apps that want access to the ESS DAC, kill all other music apps and reboot. Just to be safe :)
so just to clarify
i need neutron in order to listen to 16/44 flacs or mp3s without resampling, the stock player wont do it ?!!
and what about if i listen to youtube, would that cause the phone to resample again ?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #37 of 1,181
Glad you found the thread helpful - and thanks for the thanks. It makes it all worthwhile :)

FWIW, I do own a lot of BT devices and use them when it's convenient. My ongoing (painful) experience with BT is what led to my rant. Yes, I regularly experience connection drops with the V30, but I really don't think the V30 is at fault here. I get the same issues with my S8, S7 Edge, iOS devices (I'm ashamed to admit I still own an iPad), FiiO X7, X7ii and X1ii and Shanling M1. On the receiving end, I have a Bose Soundlink Mini, several UE Booms (versions 1 & 2) and a Soundmatters Foxl V2 Platinum speaker, plus too many BT headsets to mention. I've also owned the A&K XB10. I sold it in disappointment, but I'll admit it's one of the better BT receivers out there and the noise floor (from its balanced 2.5 mm output) is one of the quieter noise floors I've heard from a BT device. Here's my main issue with the XB10 - if you're going to plug your wired headphones into something, why not just plug them directly into your phone? :wink:

I agree with your comment about BT probably being "good enough" for most situations where you're outside and there's a lot of other ambient noise to compete with. But there are other issues beyond that. I listed quite a few problems in my impressions of the Bose SoundSport free here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bose-soundsport-free.860976/#post-13960145

Some of the issues I addressed in that post are obviously unique to that particular BT headset, but many are common to all BT headsets. The main point in my earlier rant is that for BT (or predominantly BT) users, you could be wasting your money on a V30. The V30's one big advantage is its DAC and amp and you're not benefitting from either of them when using Bluetooth.

Minor correction on my part, the 3-5 dropouts per week are actually with my Elecom LBT-PAR500, which is the only portable class1 receiver I have and offers better range and reliability than my other ones. With the A&K XB10 the dropout rate tends to be a bit higher, though still not overly annoying in my book.

Truely wireless receivers like the Bose SoundSport free are not ready for prime time yet, imo. I tried 4 or 5 different ones and returned them all, because of frequent dropouts.

"... if you're going to plug your wired headphones into something, why not just plug them directly into your phone?" - I think I already gave the answer to this, I use my phone for reading and browsing the web on the move, and that's simply more convenient with no wires attached.

"The V30's one big advantage is its DAC and amp and you're not benefitting from either of them when using Bluetooth." - I wouldn't need that for commuting, since I'd hardly be able to make out the difference anyway. But of course, for home listening, I'd use a wired connection and the quad DAC.

Thing is, I'm looking for a single piece of gear to fit both my mobile (wireless, decent SQ) and stationary (wired, top notch SQ) requirements. The V30 looks like it could be the answer, but in light of your experience I'll probably buy it from a shop with generous return policy. Thanks again for your help!

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #38 of 1,181
Minor correction on my part, the 3-5 dropouts per week are actually with my Elecom LBT-PAR500, which is the only portable class1 receiver I have and offers better range and reliability than my other ones. With the A&K XB10 the dropout rate tends to be a bit higher, though still not overly annoying in my book.

Truely wireless receivers like the Bose SoundSport free are not ready for prime time yet, imo. I tried 4 or 5 different ones and returned them all, because of frequent dropouts.

"... if you're going to plug your wired headphones into something, why not just plug them directly into your phone?" - I think I already gave the answer to this, I use my phone for reading and browsing the web on the move, and that's simply more convenient with no wires attached.

"The V30's one big advantage is its DAC and amp and you're not benefitting from either of them when using Bluetooth." - I wouldn't need that for commuting, since I'd hardly be able to make out the difference anyway. But of course, for home listening, I'd use a wired connection and the quad DAC.

Thing is, I'm looking for a single piece of gear to fit both my mobile (wireless, decent SQ) and stationary (wired, top notch SQ) requirements. The V30 looks like it could be the answer, but in light of your experience I'll probably buy it from a shop with generous return policy. Thanks again for your help!

Well, I think you'd find the V30 a huge step-up from the S3. It is a gorgeous phone. And it would give you aptX HD for your XB10. Good luck! :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #39 of 1,181
Yes. Correct on all points.
thanks for your response, i dont mind purchasing the app, but restarting my phone after every time i listen to youtube sounds awful
i have all my songs stored in the sd card, will neutron read them properly?
what about if i switch between different sample rate files (44vs48) while using neutron, would that cause the problem to reappear again?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #40 of 1,181
thanks for your response, i dont mind purchasing the app, but restarting my phone after every time i listen to youtube sounds awful
i have all my songs stored in the sd card, will neutron read them properly?
what about if i switch between different sample rate files (44vs48) while using neutron, would that cause the problem to reappear again?

Just use Neutron alone for music. YouTube won't require you to restart, but using the stock LG music app (depending on what file formats you play) and then jumping back to Neutron might.

Yes, Neutron should read your SD card just fine. Its indexing is far better than that of the stock LG music app, IMHO.

No, once you're using Neutron, you can hop between any files you like and it should continue to work without any problems :)

P.S. I probably should be, but I'm not a salesperson for Neutron. But IMHO, Neutron is an obvious must-have purchase for any V30 owner.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 1,181
Just use Neutron alone for music. YouTube won't require you to restart, but using the stock LG music app (depending on what file formats you play) and then jumping back to Neutron might.

Yes, Neutron should read your SD card just fine. Its indexing is far better than that of the stock LG music app, IMHO.

No, once you're using Neutron, you can hop between any files you like and it should continue to work without any problems :)

P.S. I probably should be, but I'm not a salesperson for Neutron. But IMHO, Neutron is an obvious must-have purchase for any V30 owner.
thanks for your answers, what about the play store UAPP version, would it do the same? cause i already have it on my account, which one has an easier interface?
sorry for my constant asking, but thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #43 of 1,181
thanks for your answers, what about the play store UAPP version, would it do the same? cause i already have it on my account, which one has an easier interface?
sorry for my constant asking, but thanks in advance.

There is a beta version of UAPP that plays everything properly - 44/16 FLAC, DSD and even MQA, but it's not been pushed to the Play Store yet.

Right now, Neutron is the only player I know of that will play your 44/16 FLAC without up-sampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back