Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #16 of 1,162
Correct. Also, Neutron's DSD playback doesn't chop off the start of tracks like the LG music app does.
o you have also experiencerd the chopped-start of songs? It's not just me? :)
Correct. Also, Neutron's DSD playback doesn't chop off the start of tracks like the LG music app does.

Ah...so its not just me seeing that with the stock player...good.

I just checked on Neutron and it still shows Dec 5 update...is there supposed to be a newer one available?

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 1,162
o you have also experiencerd the chopped-start of songs? It's not just me? :)

Ah...so its not just me seeing that with the stock player...good.

I just checked on Neutron and it still shows Dec 5 update...is there supposed to be a newer one available?

Whoops. Got a bit ahead of myself there. Hang tight - the update is coming soon to a Play Store near you :)

Yes, I've also noticed the problem with the LG music app playback of DSD.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #19 of 1,162
Capture+_2018-01-08-15-44-29.png
FYI, there was a Neutron update pushed to the Play Store over the weekend with DSD fixes for output to the V30's internal quad DAC and direct output to an external DAC, as well as stability improvements you'll need if/when you upgrade to Oreo.

Still Dec on my check. That was my very question--what were the fixes specifically? As long as it doesn't chop the start of the DSD files (man is that annoying!) and can play them bitperfect to headphones, it's probably good enough as is :) Let's face it, it will be 2029 by the time LG updates this phone to Oreo as their track record sucks...

BTW...which processor version DOES the V30 have in it to correspond to the Neutron versions...Is it 64-bit?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 1,162
I've heard rumours that Android V8 is in the hands of Korean testers at this time. Would be nice to know if that's actually a fact...

Regarding the V30 CPU:

"MSM8998 Mobile Processor

With an advanced 10-nanometer design and a 64-bit octa-core Qualcomm® Kryo™ 280 CPU based on ARM Cortex technology, the MSM8998 is ideal for premium mobile experiences. Built to support a 32MP single camera, 4K video and gigabit LTE speeds. The MSM8998 is used in platforms purpose-built for mobile."

Still Dec on my check. That was my very question--what were the fixes specifically? As long as it doesn't chop the start of the DSD files (man is that annoying!) and can play them bitperfect to headphones, it's probably good enough as is :) Let's face it, it will be 2029 by the time LG updates this phone to Oreo as their track record sucks...

BTW...which processor version DOES the V30 have in it to correspond to the Neutron versions...Is it 64-bit?

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 1,162
Yes, some folks are testing Android 8, and it's caused a few small problems. Hopefully all the bugs will be ironed out by the time Oreo reaches all of you :)

Even on Android 7, there are still a few little issues with Neutron. Hopefully none of you have noticed, in which case, no worries. One issue that still bothers me is when you've been using another music app that uses the ESS DAC, Neutron can have a hard time regaining control of the DAC pipeline when you switch back to Neutron. This results in up-sampling to 48 kHz again, which is a pretty insidious little bug, as it may take you a while to even notice something's wrong.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #22 of 1,162
Neutron version 1.99.0-ARM64 is now available.

I continually run into issues when switching between audio apps with the ESS DAC engaged. I generally re-start the phone before choosing now as it's crazy enough to be hearing differences without adding any more variables.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #23 of 1,162
Neutron version 1.99.0-ARM64 is now available.

I continually run into issues when switching between audio apps with the ESS DAC engaged. I generally re-start the phone before choosing now as it's crazy enough to be hearing differences without adding any more variables.

Unfortunately, I have the same experience. Your approach is good advice for others - when switching music apps that want access to the ESS DAC, kill all other music apps and reboot. Just to be safe :)

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #29 of 1,162
CSG...iI finally downloaded Neutron and with my DSD files, those 2 main options along with DSD over PCM sounds great (which cuts off all processing/equalization which is the way DSD should be) and it's obvious it's not 16bit. But there's a couple things I can't figure out (granted i haven't spent hours in the options yet) :)

1. Can Neutron read OTG flash drives and do a music scan on them?

2. Once you enable DLNA, how/where do you access those sources?

3. For the equalization needs, can they do better than only 4-band?

4. Most important: DSD-ISO support has to be close to being supported by Neutron since every other music app now can handle it (and sites like pentatonemusic offer direct downloads in that format)-. Do you have any details on this to whether its on the radar? Now that it can play bitperfect I'd really love to play my raw main system tracks without conversion.

Finally, If you relaying info to the developer for Neutron, there's one interesting feature i noticed--the cool swipe screen to navigate tracks. There's only one problem...it takes swiping LEFT to move tracks forward (RIGHT moves behind). In thinking about this, doesn't Asia read left to right so that does makes sense...but for us Westerners an option to select forward->right would be great :)

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #30 of 1,162
I'm really not an expert on Neutron - just a fan of it on the V30. I've barely scratched the surface with the controls and configuration options it has.

I'll need to look more closely at 1 and 2 when I'm at home. For item 3, you can expand that 4-band EQ into as many as you'd like. Click the settings wheel at the bottom and adjust the band-count slider. For each band, you can then adjust frequency, gain, filter type, etc.

BTW, the Neutron dev is working on iso (and also zip archive support) for dsf/dff. They hope to have it implemented soon.

As for the left/right swipe thing, I don't know if that can be swapped over. I never use Neutron like that. I always have the left/right swipe set up for EQ/gain (touch and swipe right on the screen to expose EQ to the left of the now-playing screen; touch and swipe left on the screen to expose the folder/album contents to the right of the now-playing screen). Hope that makes sense?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back