Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #287 of 1,181
HI guys, first time posting here, wondering if anyone who has a lgv30 and a ifi xdsd can help. I cannot get the LGv30 to stay connected to my xdsd with the OTG cable. Using UAPP, it doesn't recognize the external XDSD (I have used all the settings recommended here). What happens is when I plug it in to the phone with the OTG cable, I get a usb notice on my phone. There are options there, which one should I be choosing? It doesn't seem to matter which one I choose, the usb icon disappears, then reappears with the same prompt...but UAPP never sees the dac. In fact I find I have to turn bluetooth off on the phone as it will try to connect via that. The XDSD works great with bluetooth but I really want it to work over OTG cable. Anybody else have an issue connecting an external dac? I opened up a ticket with IFI but thought I would ask here as well since I don't expect ifi to know the workings of the LGV30. Thanks in advance.

***edit Just want to say that with the generous help of
jsmiller58 I finally got it working. ***

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #288 of 1,181
I know, it's pretty simple. But it still isn't working. Maybe my dunu is defective. When I plug high impedance earbuds into the adapter, plug the adapter into the phone, remove high impedance earbuds and replace with other headphones, everything works. For whatever reason my phone isn't reading the high impedance adapter. Not a big deal, just odd

I bought a 75MHz Impedance adapter on eBay (not Dunu, I went cheap) and it has the same issue as you are describing: When the Imp adapter is plugged into the V30 (either by itself of through the TRS adapter) it triggers Aux mode, presumably because impedance is still "infinite" without something else plugged into the Imp adapter. But if I add my headphones/earphones to the Imp adapter (any set will work) before plugging it into the V30, it triggers High Impedance Mode. Presumably, the Imp Adapter now adds 75 ohms to the impedance of my headphones -- as intended.

So, it goes like this:

1) Connect Headphones >> Imp adapter >> TRS adapter in that order
2) NOW plug the TRS adapter into V30
3) Once HIM is verified, remove the Imp adapter, leaving the TRS adapter in the V30
4) Plug the headphones into TRS adapter
5) V30 should remain in HIM

What a hassle. I don't need this for my headphones (Normal and Aux mode suffice). But I got the adapters to be able to test HIM on external gear.

Edit: And as others have pointed out, you never want to actually listen to music through the Imp adapter, it'll just muffle the sound. Only use it to trigger HIM.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #289 of 1,181
Hi guys..
I have both, UAPP and neutron with the settings which trigger bitperfect playback but still LG stock player sounds little different (on all types of files). Can u tell me, If all of them play bitperfect what causes the sound difference?

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #290 of 1,181
Hi All,
Great information on this thread!
I’m a little out of my depth here with limited knowledge but any advice in newbie terms would be much appreciated.
I have a pair of nuraphones and waiting on a v30.

Will be streaming music from the v30 using a tidal tidal HiFi subscription, nuraphone supply standard 3.5mm headphone jack and usbC cables for wired input and support Aptx hd BT.
What would be the best possible connection/setup for streaming Flac and MQA music from Tidal?

UAPP looks very interesting, if I’m using this app with a USB c connection straight to the headphones (with built in dac) does that completely bypass the v30 dac?
The makers of nuraohone have commented that they are designed for a digital input so I’m guessing the 3.5mm jack wired option would not be the best option as it’s being processed by two dacs ?

My first listen was over the standard iPhone BT connection, even to my untrained ears I was a bit disappointed, after a listen using a lightning cable and tidal HiFi from the iPhone (witch i guess is still very restricted?) the difference was night and day.

Intersted to see how far these can you using the v30 and the OP’s suggested apps, or I’m a just trying to polish a turd?

Thanks

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #291 of 1,181
Hi All,
Great information on this thread!
I’m a little out of my depth here with limited knowledge but any advice in newbie terms would be much appreciated.
I have a pair of nuraphones and waiting on a v30.

Will be streaming music from the v30 using a tidal tidal HiFi subscription, nuraphone supply standard 3.5mm headphone jack and usbC cables for wired input and support Aptx hd BT.
What would be the best possible connection/setup for streaming Flac and MQA music from Tidal?

UAPP looks very interesting, if I’m using this app with a USB c connection straight to the headphones (with built in dac) does that completely bypass the v30 dac?
The makers of nuraohone have commented that they are designed for a digital input so I’m guessing the 3.5mm jack wired option would not be the best option as it’s being processed by two dacs ?

My first listen was over the standard iPhone BT connection, even to my untrained ears I was a bit disappointed, after a listen using a lightning cable and tidal HiFi from the iPhone (witch i guess is still very restricted?) the difference was night and day.

Intersted to see how far these can you using the v30 and the OP’s suggested apps, or I’m a just trying to polish a turd?

Thanks
Hi buddy - welcome to the thread (and to headfi!).

I've heard lots of good things about the Nuraphones and it's only through a very weird and unusual bout of self-control that I didn't pull the trigger on Amazon Prime day (they were reduced from $400 to $300 over here).

Having not owned or tried the Nuraphones, this is a bit of a guess, but I strongly suspect your best option is via the standard 3.5 mm cable. USB-C is kind of a craphshoot right now, because it's possible for a USB-C headphone cable to transmit either analogue or digital signals.

The DAC in the V30 is almost certainly better than that in your Nuraphones, but you may not be able to avoid using the Nuraphone DAC, because the whole point of the Nuraphones is to use your own unique audio profile to shape the sound. It's almost a 100% certainty that it's doing ADC -> EQ -> DAC, so even if you send it an analog-input, you'll end up using the internal Nuraphone ADC and DAC. (As you say, using two DACs.) It's still worth going with a 3.5 mm cable though, because 1) you could get unadulterated V30 output with all other processing on the Nuraphones disabled and 2) it will give you the bandwidth to transmit FLAC and higher-resolution files, like MQA. (USB-C might too, but no guarantees, not knowing what the handshake is) and Bluetooth codecs aren't quite good enough yet to transmit these type of data streams without further compression.

The V30 works great as a BT source for when you need to go wireless, but it's tough (impossible right now, IMHO) to beat the sound quality of a 3.5 mm wired connection.

Hope this helps :)

P.S. It's worth mentioning that the BT codecs available to you on the iPhone are not very good. iPhone doesn't support aptX, aptX HD or LDAC. There's a reason why Apple is now a $1T company. Their entire modus operandi has been sell cheaper hardware at hugely over-inflated prices. Your polished-turd analogy is perfect!

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #292 of 1,181
Thanks for the kind welcome and your advice!

I’ve not owned a lot of audio gear but do love the nuraphones.
I seem to have a problem with my right ear (reminder to see an audiologist) when listening to any other headphones I get a crackle at certain frequencies and volumes. With the nuraphones I have never experienced this, they seem to know what frequencies my ear doesn't like. Nothing played through them ever sounds irritating if that makes sense.

As you say, the nuraphones internal dac looks to be unavoidable so the v30 3.5mm analogue output will end up going through the second dac in the headphones.

The cables are reasonably priced so will pick up a 3.5 and USBc, then spend a weekend muttering “f**ks sake” to myself while trying to get them to work optimally.

If this particular turd can’t be polished to an MQA Shine I will still enjoy using them with a general connection. As turds go they feel incredibly well made and sound great to me.

Cheers

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #293 of 1,181
As you say, the nuraphones internal dac looks to be unavoidable so the v30 3.5mm analogue output will end up going through the second dac in the headphones.

The cables are reasonably priced so will pick up a 3.5 and USBc, then spend a weekend muttering “f**ks sake” to myself while trying to get them to work optimally.
Nuraphone are vague about the analog line in. I don’t know whether the signal coming through their analog cable is then treated by the headphones’ software. Do you know? I suppose it’s not since they insist on the digital connection instead. From my brief audition, the Nuraphone are as dull non-EQ’d as they are exciting once the personalized EQ kicks in; so I’d strongly advise on using a Lightning cable with your iPhone while waiting on the V30, so they do their thing for sure. Should be better than AAC for lossless Tidal.

And once you receive the V30 definitely try out the aptX HD connection, it works great and you’re not missing out on anything significant. You won’t get enough bandwidth for wireless MQA but you do get the better masters (MQA’s only real selling point if you ask me). The Nuraphone are one of those cases where bypassing the V30’s DAC is worth it - I mean it’s the whole point of those cans! The V30’s wide codec support makes it an excellent audio source even wireless...

If this particular turd can’t be polished to an MQA Shine I will still enjoy using them with a general connection. As turds go they feel incredibly well made and sound great to me.
The Nuraphone is pretty great indeed! @csglinux was labeling the iPhone a turd, not the headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #294 of 1,181
Using the 3.5 cable I’m pretty sure the signal is then reprocessed by the inbuilt nuraphone dac and cant be bypassed.

When creating your hearing profile I think the generic EQ is made to sound terrible on purpose so when you flip over to personalised your blown away, hence all the seemingly genuine reaction videos.

Looking forward to trying aptX HD, the iOffering really does not do these justice.
I’m wondering if using a usb connection and the apps mentioned in this thread could the v30 send full size decoded MQA down the wire into the headphones ? If successful could the Nura’s have a limit on what they can handle coming in and not reproduce the full MQA anyway?
Can the v30 decode MQA music and send it out of the usb or is this only possible through the onboard dac?

Apologies if non of this makes any sense, I have no idea what I’m on about.

Cheers

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #295 of 1,181
Using the 3.5 cable I’m pretty sure the signal is then reprocessed by the inbuilt nuraphone dac and cant be bypassed.

When creating your hearing profile I think the generic EQ is made to sound terrible on purpose so when you flip over to personalised your blown away, hence all the seemingly genuine reaction videos.

Looking forward to trying aptX HD, the iOffering really does not do these justice.
I’m wondering if using a usb connection and the apps mentioned in this thread could the v30 send full size decoded MQA down the wire into the headphones ? If successful could the Nura’s have a limit on what they can handle coming in and not reproduce the full MQA anyway?
Can the v30 decode MQA music and send it out of the usb or is this only possible through the onboard dac?

Apologies if non of this makes any sense, I have no idea what I’m on about.

Cheers
I've heard multiple comments about the difference between the standard and personalized profiles on the Nuraphones. It sounds as though the reference profile is deliberately flattened to the point of utter boredom, just so that the personalized profile sounds obviously different (and better). Whatever the truth, you're going to want to use the Nuraphone DAC. But that doesn't mean the 3.5 mm connection is no good. It'll just mean your signal goes DAC->ADC->EQ->DAC, rather than just EQ->DAC. I don't think that's a big deal, given the quality of the first DAC in the chain (the ESS quad DAC).

MQA streams won't be processed properly if you send them via USB to the Nuraphones - it will only work out of the 3.5 mm socket from the V30. I wouldn't lose sleep over that point though - MQA is itself fairly sketchy (see the MQA links in the 1st post).

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #297 of 1,181
Just wanted to share my appreciation for finally a decent equalizer app on my V30+: Re Equalizer. (http://shuntcorp.net/reeq.html) I have been searching for ages for a decent equalizer app that has 3 characteristics:
- Do bluetooth
- Integrate with my streaming app (Deezer)
- Do decent audio tweaking, mainly aiming to have a good basboost and/or the ability to gain in the very low frequencies (under the standard 60hz)
What I found in the playstore so far are mainly other styles on the same standard 5 band Eq and the standard bassboost. Owning a ATH-DSR7BT, of which I love the clarity but sound best with a slight gain in the lower frequencies (20-40Hz), I always found these standard eq's elevating the midbass (>60Hz) more than the deep bass, and I couldn't find an app that did enhance for instance around 40Hz which still worked on BT and work seamlessly with my Deezer streaming app. Finally RE Equalizer works as a charm, so it was worth the price (it's not free but also not expensive).
(no I don't work for them... :wink: Just sharing my experience)

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #298 of 1,181
Just wanted to share my appreciation for finally a decent equalizer app on my V30+: Re Equalizer.
Looks good, thanks! As a recent big-time EQ convert this hits the spot.

Your link is fine however domain shuntcorp.net seems to be down atm.

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #299 of 1,181
I emailed nura to see what their take was on on the best input (usb-c or 3.5mm) for lossless music playback and got the following reply. I don’t get what they are saying to be honest.. can anyone translate please?

““Thanks for getting in touch.

Good question! All nura cables offer lossless audio transfer, and both the analog and USB-C cable will bypass the inbuilt DAC.

The nuraphone includes a DAC and headphone amplifier internally and are designed specifically to connect to a digital source. While we provide an analogue input which means you can use an external DAC, we recommend that you use the digital interface for lossless audio :)””

Nuraphone are vague about the analog line in. I don’t know whether the signal coming through their analog cable is then treated by the headphones’ software. Do you know? I suppose it’s not since they insist on the digital connection instead. From my brief audition, the Nuraphone are as dull non-EQ’d as they are exciting once the personalized EQ kicks in; so I’d strongly advise on using a Lightning cable with your iPhone while waiting on the V30, so they do their thing for sure. Should be better than AAC for lossless Tidal.

And once you receive the V30 definitely try out the aptX HD connection, it works great and you’re not missing out on anything significant. You won’t get enough bandwidth for wireless MQA but you do get the better masters (MQA’s only real selling point if you ask me). The Nuraphone are one of those cases where bypassing the V30’s DAC is worth it - I mean it’s the whole point of those cans! The V30’s wide codec support makes it an excellent audio source even wireless...

The Nuraphone is pretty great indeed! @csglinux was labeling the iPhone a turd, not the headphones.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #300 of 1,181
I emailed nura to see what their take was on on the best input (usb-c or 3.5mm) for lossless music playback and got the following reply. I don’t get what they are saying to be honest.. can anyone translate please?

““Thanks for getting in touch.

Good question! All nura cables offer lossless audio transfer, and both the analog and USB-C cable will bypass the inbuilt DAC.

The nuraphone includes a DAC and headphone amplifier internally and are designed specifically to connect to a digital source. While we provide an analogue input which means you can use an external DAC, we recommend that you use the digital interface for lossless audio :)””
Wow! That’s not very well put, nuraphone :smile: So from what they say, the surprising disclosure is that usb-c works like analog, it doesn’t use the inbuilt DAC? Only wireless does? You’d be better off with wireless only then... Note aptX, and the iPhone’s AAC for which support was added with the G2 software update, are sufficient for Tidal Hi-fi FLAC (16bit/44.1Hz). And the V30’s aptX HD does indeed transmit 24-bit streams if you believe they make a difference. So you’re not losing out by going wireless here.

The real question, which they are not answering in the e-mail you relay, is: do you get personalized audio via usb-c? Can you test that? Because they keep insisting on a “digital” input, so usb-c should work as well as wireless. The knowledgeable @csglinux thinks the EQ process is applied discreetly, before the DAC pass. Its exact position in the chain remains elusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back