Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #301 of 1,181
The only wired option I’ve tried so far is lightning cable / iPhone and the personalised eq is always on.

The imerrsion level adjustment and button controls are only available with a BT connection (bit annoying). Once the cable is plugged in the nura app closes and they continue playing from the wired source at the last saved levels and EQ.
I’ve not tested USBc yet but I would guess it works exactly the same.. but with an analog cable?... who knows.

They describe the headphones as having a DAC and and amp as two seperate things so I was wondering if the analog cable would benefit from the v30’s superior dac but retain the personalised EQ somehow. A lot of nuraphone users are saying they get a louder clearer sound from using the analog cable with a good external dac.

As you say though, the difference (especially to my ears) is probably negligible anyway. Just intrigued what sorcery is going on

I emailed nura to see what their take was on on the best input (usb-c or 3.5mm) for lossless music playback and got the following reply. I don’t get what they are saying to be honest.. can anyone translate please?

““Thanks for getting in touch.

Good question! All nura cables offer lossless audio transfer, and both the analog and USB-C cable will bypass the inbuilt DAC.

The nuraphone includes a DAC and headphone amplifier internally and are designed specifically to connect to a digital source. While we provide an analogue input which means you can use an external DAC, we recommend that you use the digital interface for lossless audio :)””

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #302 of 1,181
The V30 and analog cable eventually arrived. Apart from being a great all round phone, paired with the nuraphones it sounds amazing (to me) with UAPP and tidal HiFi.

The analog cable is a considerable improvement over aptX hd. Standard tidal HiFi and MQA are great. I don’t know what’s going on technically but it works, couldn’t be happier. Thanks OP for all the information.

I’ve updated to the latest android version tonight.

As advised I only have “MQA” selected in the UAPP HiRes driver flags.

Would it be of benefit to unselect this when not playing MQA music, if so, what would be the best flag selection for standard tidal flac steaming?

I’ve noticed playing around with the flags, some of them let me into the v30 dac settings to adjust filters ect. I’m not sure if this benefits SQ or not?

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #303 of 1,181
The V30 and analog cable eventually arrived. Apart from being a great all round phone, paired with the nuraphones it sounds amazing (to me) with UAPP and tidal HiFi.

The analog cable is a considerable improvement over aptX hd. Standard tidal HiFi and MQA are great. I don’t know what’s going on technically but it works, couldn’t be happier. Thanks OP for all the information.

I’ve updated to the latest android version tonight.

As advised I only have “MQA” selected in the UAPP HiRes driver flags.

Would it be of benefit to unselect this when not playing MQA music, if so, what would be the best flag selection for standard tidal flac steaming?

I’ve noticed playing around with the flags, some of them let me into the v30 dac settings to adjust filters ect. I’m not sure if this benefits SQ or not?
You're doing the right thing with the MQA flag. It'll have no effect if you're not playing an MQA file, but you do want this active for when you are.
You also want to be able to see the highlighted "HiFi Quad DAC" option in the settings pull-down menu and have access the V30 DAC settings, like sound presets and digital filters, because that all means that the quad DAC is active :)

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #304 of 1,181
Are we talking about the “HiFi quad dac” switch in the v30 native sound settings?
It lets me switch that on with the MQA flag selected but when I try to change and filters or presets it tells me that they are not available when playing MQA or DSD. It says this when streaming both tidal MQA or their standard HiFi music.

Messing around with the flags if I unselect MQA and select “direct PCM” it allows me to alter the the V30 dac filters but doesn’t seem to sound as good. As you mentioned having both selected using Oreo crashes the app.
perhaps my settings aren’t quite right somewhere

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #305 of 1,181
Are we talking about the “HiFi quad dac” switch in the v30 native sound settings?
It lets me switch that on with the MQA flag selected but when I try to change and filters or presets it tells me that they are not available when playing MQA or DSD. It says this when streaming both tidal MQA or their standard HiFi music.

Messing around with the flags if I unselect MQA and select “direct PCM” it allows me to alter the the V30 dac filters but doesn’t seem to sound as good. As you mentioned having both selected using Oreo crashes the app.
perhaps my settings aren’t quite right somewhere
Some file types don't allow you to change the filters/presets, but you should still see the HiFi Quad DAC highlighted in the settings and the sound preset and filters menus are still visible and accessible, it's just that you can't change them when playing DSD or MQA files.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #306 of 1,181
Some file types don't allow you to change the filters/presets, but you should still see the HiFi Quad DAC highlighted in the settings and the sound preset and filters menus are still visible and accessible, it's just that you can't change them when playing DSD or MQA files.
Thanks for your further help, still seem to be getting this message when streaming any tidal music through UAPP with the mqa flag on.
Sorry if im overlooking somthing obvious

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-20-22-41-58.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-20-22-41-58.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #309 of 1,181
1. Neutron - for all on-device storage playback, other than MQA.
Why? It correctly plays DSD via DoP (up to DSD128 directly and DSD256 with some software trickery) and PCM files (up to 352 kHz) at original sample rate through the internal DAC or via the USB digital-out.
Recommended settings:
Under the "Audio Hardware" menu, select "Generic Driver" ON,. (which also has a sub-menu: Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Codec = ON, Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Speaker = ON), "Direct USB Driver", "DSD over PCM (DoP)" and "Follow Source Frequency" options. Note that the "Direct USB Driver" option is just for USB output. Using the latest update under Oreo (Android 8), these settings don't need to change.
A great tip from @james444 - by default the V30 only has a brightness slider in the pull-down notification shade, but you can configure it to add a volume slider too, by pulling that shade all the way down, selecting "Edit", tapping the top-right hamburger menu, and toggling on "Volume". This is useful, because Neutron doesn't (yet) give you access to the fine-grained volume control when the quad DAC is active. By configuring the shade to have a volume slider, you don't need to leave the Neutron app in order to recover that fine-grained volume control.

I have bought my V30 last week as a replacement for the Galaxy 7. I think the sound has really gotten better. Thanks for the recommended settings. I have saved all my settings in case I need to reset the V30. My list without UI settings (all other switches are off and and I have not changed the sliders):

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #310 of 1,181
I know this is old news to many but the Tidal app now allows mqa playback on the v30, bypassing the need for UAPP.

So strictly for the purposes of listening to songs downloaded from Tidal, what advantages would UAPP offer? I know it's meant for USB but the analog is phenomenon. So is the ability to use digital input amps the only appeal or am i missing something valuable?

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #311 of 1,181
I know this is old news to many but the Tidal app now allows mqa playback on the v30, bypassing the need for UAPP.

So strictly for the purposes of listening to songs downloaded from Tidal, what advantages would UAPP offer? I know it's meant for USB but the analog is phenomenon. So is the ability to use digital input amps the only appeal or am i missing something valuable?

Two points I can think of:

1) The official Tidal app does not play back non-MQA files properly. (It re-samples 44 kHz/16-bit files, which still make up the majority of Tidal's catalogue.)
2) UAPP cannot (and because of licensing issues, never will) support offline Tidal playback.

So I have both apps on my V30 :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #312 of 1,181
Good to know. Thank you. I had seen that about the sampling rate on this thread but I guess I hoped that had been resolved. I think I may have even noticed its effects though, as MQA tracks sound better over the Bluetooth in my car than the other "hi-fi" quality ones. I really couldn't make sense of that being that my deck uses an old Bluetooth version so I believe my connection is SBC, yet the same track in different qualities sounds VASTLY different. I wouldn't have thought that possible and frankly don't understand it.

But to your second point specifically... Are there then methods for playing downloaded tracks from Tidal in their native format???

Two points I can think of:

1) The official Tidal app does not play back non-MQA files properly. (It re-samples 44 kHz/16-bit files, which still make up the majority of Tidal's catalogue.)
2) UAPP cannot (and because of licensing issues, never will) support offline Tidal playback.

So I have both apps on my V30 :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #313 of 1,181
Good to know. Thank you. I had seen that about the sampling rate on this thread but I guess I hoped that had been resolved. I think I may have even noticed its effects though, as MQA tracks sound better over the Bluetooth in my car than the other "hi-fi" quality ones. I really couldn't make sense of that being that my deck uses an old Bluetooth version so I believe my connection is SBC, yet the same track in different qualities sounds VASTLY different. I wouldn't have thought that possible and frankly don't understand it.

But to your second point specifically... Are there then methods for playing downloaded tracks from Tidal in their native format???
Not that I know of. Your best bet is probably to wait until 100% of Tidal's catalogue is 24-bit MQA. This might happen sooner than you think. They've been furiously adding MQA content. It actually makes me a bit suspicious (or should I say, even more suspicious) of MQA, given how easy it seems to have been for Tidal to create MQA versions of everything. (Most of the MQA tracks I've tested have no content over 22 kHz!)

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #314 of 1,181
I have found that very odd, myself. There are "MQA" albums I've found that sound worse than any other version they have.
I'm not sure I have faith for that to be resolved or the whole catalogue to be "converted" as I regularly see comments online about Tidal soon failing.

But that's a real shame there's no solution for proper playback of stored content. I listen to music Way too much to stream all or even half of it, my data plan would explode lol

Not that I know of. Your best bet is probably to wait until 100% of Tidal's catalogue is 24-bit MQA. This might happen sooner than you think. They've been furiously adding MQA content. It actually makes me a bit suspicious (or should I say, even more suspicious) of MQA, given how easy it seems to have been for Tidal to create MQA versions of everything. (Most of the MQA tracks I've tested have no content over 22 kHz!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back