Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 5, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,081 of 1,175
finally upgrade from v30, apart from v50 being smoother and faster, i can't evaluate big difference in sound chips sound, same songs sounded great on both, overall very happy with upgrade, for under 180$ from Ali - can't complain, and you also get 5G connection, so a steal

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220105_135358.jpg
    20220105_135358.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #1,083 of 1,175
I was truly hoping that the V50-60 would have high refresh rate screens.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #1,084 of 1,175
I think it doesn't matter, you are not playing PC level FPS games, and v50 interface is silky smooth, i don't see any hiccups yet

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #1,085 of 1,175
Hi all I have a question: I just purchased an LG V50 dedicated to play downloaded Tidal music in my car. Sound quality is excellent except some songs do not play (some are mqa some aren't there doesn't seem to be a pattern).
Tidal is aware of this and told me to use UAPP (but it's been 6months since people have had issues so I doubt they'll resolve the problem). I have the most recent updates of Tidal and Android -which I'm aware isn't ideal.
Is there anything I can do to resolve this non-playable song issue? If not is there another LG phone with equal SQ that is supported?

Update: Installed Tidal ver 2.24 using SLI app. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #1,086 of 1,175
I am an audio engineer and audiophile. I have the V30. It is good but a little bright sounding. I replaced it recently with a LG V50 and this DO OFFER a better sound from its hifi dac. My son did the same, and he agrees with me. Kind of smoother in sound profile. You can get it new on ebay for 180$, nothing else if not THE bargain of the century. The V50 is also an excellent phone, generally speaking. The only thing is that the screen is a "tint" better on lgv30 to my taste, due to color profile. But the lgv50 screen is also very good, no problems.

Here is the link. I have purchased 3 units, all new and fully working. No problems. Service minded seller as well. Highly recommended.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174866169430?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item28b6d5fe56:g:EeoAAOSwQDthMUNX&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSDAeS9EQtjPGVfKXTxF0%2Bjn7gg2zbJFCsVJjv7rA5H6kn6hnqYo6knqzNNEYLyPP340MIxe6HIY8xXhPNVg%2B5%2Bwj5OgJ6IplwdKumzg09RYimCPOs%2Fc5FvzfCS%2Fc3Tv%2Fvy0Yi8APhT35UUiYmtZhQzzRjZJgSqAbie8eUGrqjlGI8xkV16dlbesb5jRepTUxnuXO3dK2bCWjLL6Be4LbEFFOVuQ9Y1ghpBD%2B9CnkJa8RuUTEDRa2UIj0M39uVXV0%2BbKOj2WGahD3RvsfSaVheBktAChHjTbAEzoXmycOp0EHnC6d8NnoGEgI3jd1WLWTTf8Hnpf0D7YzfHuo8%2F0PWOuz54hb06KRGIXmdtF%2BeIPrCvxixPEKx51ROpmCqbCYvtJtXL5BFOlEUdnHrSTdnUb9zAU0ladiX0p%2BrNIICuFtVAPjwXLxxGRdBxBdG1f44DrP1XVQdQkMDndII9YTZzdACJGT%2BzFWC2fM3rlhiY2t5uwWdKiU%2FWMEBzQeanbO1tpDi4TkpyUrp7V7Pg4qi6GAZdmxIVwEksYjfRKjClMu9LyV6IP9ap2QPsMsqW1f2RNP0kQMOMoPwHrVhZg%2BGkgzisdgPF0Bna2EZhILqky3J6kmEZsey0m3l48R1Pn%2F0n%2Bo33XTtV4qfDLDGoXHhlJ6LlxVCGOFs%2BM2Z0X%2F%2BAc2ugkSjXz12bsafxldNBmF7qZoyyHTI0vt4k3rNdZhPKgge9RqrTTMrBf9k%2FIVMfApmF7GaxoPCle7oHwYfY%2Fq8VUUbuY4QR6%2BWYdsUF1MAgvCsv9hS%2F1rwdNtJP7s8mUJcrkYwGdIaOTicNZUFdP70|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBMhqXQt8Ff
Thanks for the report, I also ordered it from your same seller ... I hope it is really new and not the usual refurbished. I trusted your eye. :wink:

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,087 of 1,175
I have a V40 and V50. The v50 is probably the better phone unfortunately as a PHONE it doesn't work with any freaking providers anymore as it was basically a Sprint phone. Read:. it's an outright nightmare to get working on the T-mobile network. So I have both the V40 T-Mobile version and the coveted V40 "QA" fully open network version that'll work anywhere.

That said, after the V30 and earlier B&O treatment, LG went with Meridian, as in the people who developed MLP or the superior DVD-Audio codec. They really know what they're doing... so the brightness was tamed out a bit in the V40 & V50 so I definitely prefer its sound to the V30.

Anything after the V50 got way too freaking big and started losing all the audio prowess they were known for (no Meridian tuning/DTS expansion/MQA/Native DSD, etc). Basically LG was a dumpster fire already by then & had to cut all costs possible. Very sad.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #1,088 of 1,175
The LG G7 would be audibly transparent as compared with any other properly appointed LG phone. Blind listening, level matched, nobody could tell a V40 from a G7.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,091 of 1,175
LGG/ is tuned by Meridian, the V30 is tuned by B&O, whatever that means in real but could derive in a different sound (sig).
Tuning is a theoretical construct that people float around as if it is an established fact. Deliberately tuning such circuits would be far more difficult to accomplish and very often lead to extremely poor outcomes anyway, and to what aim? What evidence do people have of these tunings? Sighted listening tests, going by what they remember are essentially useless ways of gathering evidence. If someone can't reliably distinguish the claimed differences in multiple trial, level matched blind listening trials at a detection rate of 90% correct, the difference does not exist. If they need their eyes and the opinions of others to hear a difference, the difference they are describing does not originate in the sound reproduction devices, the differences originates in their mind.

I am not saying that it is impossible that there could be differences, theoretically it could be done or so I understand, but again it would be extremely difficult to tune a phone in the way people suggest is done. What I am saying is that even if 100 people jump into the thread and say I hear the difference so it is real, that isn't remotely evidence, it is speculation and likely heavily biased opinion. If those differences are there, they should be detectable without your eyes, their existence can only be established through properly done, level matched blind testing with quite a few trials.

I don't understand why people fear doing proper testing. I know it takes a little time to do correctly, but people spend more time defending why they won't do it than they would if they actually did it. So my challenge to somebody who owns both a G7 and a V40, get some help, do a proper testing evaluation and honestly report the findings. Level matching is critical. Even .5 of a decibel difference in volume will of course differentiate the two devices and we hear louder as sounding better in many situations with audio. If somebody could implement a properly constructed, level matched test, and over 20 trials demonstrate a 90% differentiation rate, that would be evidence.

Rant ended.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,094 of 1,175
Tuning speakers is a thing like the speaker on a smartphone, but if they are referring to the DAC/ amplifier path, then it is pure 🐂💩
Exactly, just audiophile myth that gets propagated around threads and accepted as fact without any evidence whatsoever. Unless you consider somebody saying well I hear a difference as evidence ..... I know that I don't for a moment believe any of that I trust my ears stuff because what that really means they trust their ears, but only when they get to use their eyes as well.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,095 of 1,175
I'm not sure what they meant by that either, unless it involved fine tuning the circuit to make it more accurate and/or choosing a particular filter.
How should I conduct a proper blind testing A/B if I am not even able to detect a difference between those filter the device has inside :) ?? My LG G7 sounds way better than any other phone I've tried, thats ok for me now. If I ever upgrade to V50 would be only related to battery issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back