Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Apr 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #841 of 1,175
it amazes me that different audio players will sound quite always different with same source
nevermind ;
I'd like to know if the Radstone Music player has been checked or not with the v30 >> & if it is upsampling or not 44.1khz Flac files

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #842 of 1,175
it amazes me that different audio players will sound quite always different with same source
nevermind ;
I'd like to know if the Radstone Music player has been checked or not with the v30 >> & if it is upsampling or not 44.1khz Flac files
Neutron has a setting to follow source's frequency. So if when a track is 44.1 no upsampling occurs. Does Radstone have a way to monitor output kHz?
Screenshot_20200419-162836.png

I have a question, i have the lg G8X and downloaded some MQA files and i would like to know if the phone is decoding the MQA file this is the picture https://imageshack.us/i/pm0JUlFRp
The stock music player can decode MQA. I have a G8 non-x variant. Neutron prints MQA when playing a relevant track, but most of my library is 16/44.1..

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #844 of 1,175
Does Hiby Music app work correctly with this phone? Or is there some upsampling issues like the LG music player?
Does Hiby display sample rate? I can test output on v20 and G8 (all of the LGs basically share same ESS).

May 1, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #846 of 1,175
Well, I have a LG G4 and tested with it to see if HibyMusic is able to recognize its DAC and... nope. Unlike LG music player which only resamples 16/44.1, HibyMusic resamples EVERYTHING. I played 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192 and of course 16/44.1 with it and it resampled all of them to 16/48 through mixer.

It's a big no for all the android devices, I guess. Even the Google Play page didn't say anything about HiRes drivers or something like that.

May 1, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #847 of 1,175
Well, I have a LG G4 and tested with it to see if HibyMusic is able to recognize its DAC and... nope. Unlike LG music player which only resamples 16/44.1, HibyMusic resamples EVERYTHING. I played 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192 and of course 16/44.1 with it and it resampled all of them to 16/48 through mixer.

It's a big no for all the android devices, I guess. Even the Google Play page didn't say anything about HiRes drivers or something like that.
Right.
But G4 isn't like G7 or the V-Series, so there's no comparison to them. :wink:
G4 has a standard Qualcomm Dac, i guess.

May 1, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #849 of 1,175
I tested 16/44 PCM through HibyMusic on my LG V35 and see the same effect @5h0l3e5 reported - it goes through the mixer and comes out as 48 kHz. I haven't tested the V30, V40, V50, etc., but I'd expect to see the same effect. I've not tested other sample rates either because 1) 44 kHz is the most important and if it gets that wrong it's game over and 2) I'm lazy :wink:

Couple of other thoughts.

About all these other apps that people want to test to see if it re-samples or not.... Can you hear the difference? To me, the resampling artifacts are only audible on certain tracks and with certain headphones. If you're listening with a pair of HD800s for example, you probably don't need to worry about any of this. If you can't hear the effect, just enjoy the music. There's nothing like a good global pandemic to put things in perspective :)

What are peoples' thoughts on the V60? Its specs and battery life look great and maybe the 2nd screen would be handy for Fortnite or pubg, but this thing's huge. Is it just me or does anybody else think it's a shame LG aren't making phones the size of the V30 or V35 anymore? (Even though the Velvet series has a 3.5 mm socket, rumors are it won't have the quad DAC.)

May 1, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #850 of 1,175
Thank you @csglinux.

I'm more on the Uapp boat.
@5h0l3e5 Will give it a shot just for testing purposes. :wink:

May 1, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #851 of 1,175
I tested 16/44 PCM through HibyMusic on my LG V35 and see the same effect @5h0l3e5 reported - it goes through the mixer and comes out as 48 kHz. I haven't tested the V30, V40, V50, etc., but I'd expect to see the same effect. I've not tested other sample rates either because 1) 44 kHz is the most important and if it gets that wrong it's game over and 2) I'm lazy :wink:

Couple of other thoughts.

About all these other apps that people want to test to see if it re-samples or not.... Can you hear the difference? To me, the resampling artifacts are only audible on certain tracks and with certain headphones. If you're listening with a pair of HD800s for example, you probably don't need to worry about any of this. If you can't hear the effect, just enjoy the music. There's nothing like a good global pandemic to put things in perspective :)

What are peoples' thoughts on the V60? Its specs and battery life look great and maybe the 2nd screen would be handy for Fortnite or pubg, but this thing's huge. Is it just me or does anybody else think it's a shame LG aren't making phones the size of the V30 or V35 anymore? (Even though the Velvet series has a 3.5 mm socket, rumors are it won't have the quad DAC.)
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...generation-headphone-soc-quad-dac-technology/

V60 has the newer ES9219, whereas V30 onward use 9218P (and 9218 in v20). I trust that Velvet will feature the qDAC it at least KR... Their home market always scores the best variant.

Anyway, I'm not touching v60 nor Velvet anytime soon. Once they hit ~$160-200 I'm game. Phones have crap resale value, but sluggish sales should also hasten price cuts. Haven't paid more than 250 for any LG, and 250 was for the G2 back in '13.

As for size, yeah I'm disappointed as hell! I owned G1 - G8, then v20/30. LG needs to offer 5.5-5.8" variants. Sick of these 6.7+ screens...
Right.

But G4 isn't like G7 or the V-Series, so there's no comparison to them. :wink:

G4 has a standard Qualcomm Dac, i guess.

Prior to LG's partnership their phones used the generic Snapdragon PCM for audio output. Technically hires works on the Snapdragon 820 or higher. Whenever the DAC is disabled the SoC has its own audio handler. Samsung used to partner with Wolfson for audio, sad that only LG cares these days.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #852 of 1,175
Hi guys! Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge here. I’m just starting with V30 as a dap.
Which app would you recommend as a player that is user friendly so I can organize all my files on the micro sd card the way I want without mixing everything ?? I did it right on my computer, but now LG music and Google music are changing it.
Also I’ll be using Qobuz for streaming.
And a good EQ is always welcome!!😉
Neutron or UAPP ?
Thanks !!

May 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #853 of 1,175
Hi guys! Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge here. I’m just starting with V30 as a dap.
Which app would you recommend as a player that is user friendly so I can organize all my files on the micro sd card the way I want without mixing everything ?? I did it right on my computer, but now LG music and Google music are changing it.
Neutron or UAPP ?
Thanks !!

I use UAPP on my LG V30+ and and happy with it. However, I don’t do any organising of files. I only listen to Tidal and Qobuz. You may want to look into whether or not Neutron supports Qobuz. I know UAPP does.

May 7, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #854 of 1,175
Neutron or UAPP ?
Thanks !!

Nothing wrong with the V30 as a DAP at all; its no slouch - and you can pick them up pretty cheaply now. I came from a much more expensive DAP (the "golden" one) to the V30 as the V30 has much better USB out options. You can configure the V30 with maximum power saving options for stellar battery life with no impact on SQ. It has no problems handling the Sandisk 1TB micro SD card. My experience is with UAPP as the player of choice. I find it much better SQ-wise than the built in player. I don't like the Neutron interface one bit. Personally, I steer away from eq as I have good synergy between my iems and the V30 and prefer to head down the "bit perfect" route. You can purchase a 10 filter parametric eq add-on for UAPP for a small fee if that's your bag, but UAPP does have its own 10 band equaliser built in. The UAPP dev is super responsive and is constantly improving the app.

I don't do any file management on the V30 - that's all done on my laptop with JRiver. New albums are copied across with SSHelper once all the tags have been sanitised. I have something approaching 23,000 music files on mine (and growing at quite an alarming rate with all the music sales I keep on encountering and absolutely feel the need to participate in). Of course, if wireless is your bag, all the normal streaming services are supported via the normal android apps. You've also got aptX HD built right in, along with a full MQA decoder. There is much to admire about the V30.

The V30 has a dynamic gain and so automatically switches the output when high impedance headphones are attached. It can drive my 1990 Pros (>200 ohm) comfortably - although not with the same authority as my desktop box of tricks.

I don't regret the move one bit - get your pairing right and this is one seriously capable wolf in sheep's clothing. ENJOY.

May 11, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #855 of 1,175
Neutron or UAPP ?
Thanks !!
My experience is similar to @mw7485 above.

UAPP on the device. The sound quality is as good as it gets and the user interface is excellent, slick, very usable, and very intuitive. Neutron by comparison is a complete disaster.

I have about 25k files I've tagged very carefully using mp3tag on my PC. I don't use a library app on the PC most of the time. I just drag a folder onto the XMPlay player app. Hence the importance of good file and tag hygiene. I try not to go too crazy with tags and focus on album, artist, album artist, track number, title, and embedded cover. I throw in a genre tag because most apps seem to care but I don't use it.

The folder structure I find has the best mix of performance and convenience is:

A/Al Di Meola - 1976 - Land of the Midnight Sun/<album files>
B/Barishi - 2020 - Old Smoke/<album files>
Etc

That's an average of 100 albums per letter folder, which reads fast enough off an SD card (faster than a flat folder with 2600 album subfolders in it). And if I can't remember an artist name it's not a big deal to browse the collection by letter.

That gets synced to a 400GB micro SD card using windows explorer, free file sync, or q-dir. Then UAPP builds its library off the card. If you're diligent with tagging, the library is a thing of beauty and extremely usable. But I don't use UAPP for any kind of file or tag management. All that's done on the PC.

Except for UAPP, all the apps I use are free.

The V30 runs Havoc OS with everything turned off. I turn WiFi on if I needs to get a file off the media PC, but it's off most of the time. Just UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back