Music and the Rough Night
Jul 29, 2004 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, we've just had one of those nights...

About a week ago, my 5 year old daughter had surgery on her eye. She has a "weak eye" that crosses, and after several years of patches the doctor decided that we needed to fix it surgically. It's painful and just generally unpleasant surgery, and she has not had a good week. However, she seemed to be improving daily, and all seemed like it was going along normally.

Yesterday, we took her in to see the doctor. She's had a lot more pain in the last day, and there were some things going on that were not "normal". Turns out that she's developed a post-operative infection. Since this is an eye, it's not something that they screw around with...they almost admitted her to the hospital right there on the spot. They ended up running several hours of tests, and giving us some strong antibiotics and better pain meds, and sending us home.

Well, what a night...we ended up paging our opthalmologist before it was all over, just to see if we ought to bring her back in. She was in a lot of pain...this is NOT a pleasant area of the body to have surgery on, that's for sure. He said that it wasn't unexpected, and to monitor her closely for signs of fever. In the mean time, she didn't sleep well...and by extension, neither did we.

At about 3:30 AM, she woke up again. Her pain meds had worn off, and she was very upset. I've got to believe that this stuff is pretty scary to a 5 year old too, so I'm sure that didn't help. Well, my poor wife has had NO sleep all night, and she was finally asleep...so I took my daughter downstairs in hope that she would settle down.

I put on some music, cuddled her up in a blanket, and just sat there and held her on the couch. She was sobbing from the pain, and I'm sure that she's a bit panicked by what's going on. The music (Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds), however, seemed to mellow her out a lot. I know it helped calm me down. Stuff like this is not fun for us parents...you always feel like you ought to be able to protect them from stuff like this. All I could do was hold her and rock her back and forth to the music. I guess there must be something to that, though...about 30 minutes later, she reached up and gave me a little kiss, and within seconds she finally conked out for the evening. Poor thing...

So I'm pretty wiped out right now, and on my way to work shortly. I'm hoping that all will be OK with this, and I'm pretty confident that it will be. Still, it's kind of scary not to have more control over a situation. I'm thankful that she has good doctors, and that my wife knows most of them well. Still, I have this feeling that years will go by and that I will still remember this evening like it happened yesterday.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 18
That is a very touching story, and I wish the best for your family.

While I'm no parent, (only 18), I know what it means to have loving parents. You can be sure that your kid will never forget either.

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 18
Yeah, that kiss is worth a billion! Hope it all ends well, will say a little prayer for the little girl. Keep us posted. Drive Safe! Take a day off! Do something for MOM!

Guy

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 18
Tom,

I hope your daughter has a fast, healthy recovery from the surgery and is out of pain soon. While the story of her problems is a sad one, the story of you holding her until she falls asleep is very touching. You sound like you're a great father.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 18
I wish you all well. Hope she is recuperating without further incident. Seeing your child or a loved one in pain is sometimes just as painful for the parent. Hang in there.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 18
Sir,

You are a good parent and your daugther showed her appreciation in a memorable way. At that age, they are so innocent and its heartbreaking to see them suffer. As a fellow parent, I was balling my eyes out reading about your unfortunate evening. I wish your daugther a speeding recovery.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 18
As a father myself, I have some idea what you feel. Although I am very thankful nothing as bad has happened to my son. He did have to undergo general anesthetic to do a minor operation. The helpless feeling of not being able to do aything about it makes your heart drop. Hope your daughter has a speedy and painless recovery.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 18
Sometimes, as much as we try, we can't shield our children from all pain. When that happens, our job is to help them through the painful time. And that's exactly what you did. You and your wife are awesome parents, and I do not doubt that your children know how much you both love them.

She, and the rest of you are in my thoughts & prayers as you get thru this tough time safely, and hopefully quickly.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 18
Nothing so drastic as what your daughter is going through...but now that I have my own little one I can definitely feel for you and know a little bit of where you are coming from.

Seeing your child cry out of terror or pain is simply heart wrenching. My prayers are with you Tom and your daughter especially.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 18
To my Head-Fi brethren:

I'm touched beyond words by your concern...thank you.

An update: she's doing better today - still grumpy and uncomfortable, but nothing like yesterday. I'm taking her in to see the doctor (again) tomorrow, just so that they can monitor her more closely. I'll be in and out of doctor's offices a lot over the course of the next week, including a big work-up of tests next week. They're being very cautious with this, as it's an eye...which is at once disconcerting and comforting.

Thanks again for your kind words and thoughts....I'll keep things updated regarding her status, but it looks like she's going to be OK.

Tom

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 18
Tom,

I hope your daughter feels better. As a father I know how it is when my kids are in pain or sick or just can't sleep. Though we wish to take all the pain away, sometimes all we can do is comfort them.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Regards - reynman

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 18
Hi everyone,

I wanted to pass on some good news - my daughter just went to see the opthalmologist today, and he's very pleased with how her eye is responding. She's gone all day with no pain meds, which tells me that something good is happening.

Thanks again for all your kind words, and for keeping us in your thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back