MUSE-ical Question
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mactire

New Head-Fier
I've recently discovered Muse. I heard a track on the radio and I was sold.
So I went out to the store and got me HAARP live at Wembley.
But when I played the album I was shocked by the quality, it's horrid.
At least that's what I thought. i asked a couple of friends what they thought and said it's fine.
I've played the album on two different sets, and my mobile set. All is below average.

The thing is, their music is great. It's massive. Some might disagree, but I think it has the grandeur of a Queen concert. Anyway, the album lacks definition. There is no layering and soundstage is virtually nonexistend. All sounds very compressed and dense to me.

I've took the curtecy to download the rest of their albums in FLAC* to see how they compare to HAARP. And I sorry to come to the conclusion that they are equally bad. I had better hopes and expectations (lol).

So I wonder, how do you guys feel about it. Am I wrong or are Muse albums poorly mastered

*On a side note, I do not promote piracy. It was mere self protection to save myself spending a lot of cash on bad albums.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Muse have a bit of a bad name for mastering. Shame really because their music is great.

No dynamics to much compresion, like a lot of music it could be made to sound a lot better if it was mastered differently.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to think I asked a stupid question and realise that I could have done a forum search first. Sorry about that.

Anyway great, so it's not just me.

It's too bad indeed. Because their music is awesome.
When I put the record on I aways have to get used to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back