Murine Ear wax cleaner
Feb 23, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I have flakey dry type of earwax, btw.

I'd post pics, but that thread got moved outside.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Same, maybe we can start a Team Flakey Earwax.

Now that the pain has abated, i'm ready to try something new. Maybe this seawater-ma-gic is the way to go?

Feb 24, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 35
So hydrogen peroxide is safe to use in ears? How would I go about cleansing my ears with it? I know it completely dissolves the earwax (including the yellow) on my ER-20's, I use it to clean them all the time!

Feb 24, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #18 of 35
Buy one of these:
Acc3175_01-copy.jpg

Mix one part Hydrogen Peroxide with one part warm water, suck into bulb, and squirt into ears. Rinse, repeat.
tongue.gif

Do NOT shove the tip of the bulb in your ear. Aim it into your ear just on the outside and squirt. Back pressure from shoving it in your ear could damage your ear drums.

-Ed

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 35
Doesn't Hydrogen Peroxide burn? They used to advertise and recommend it for mouth cancor sores but I noticed a couple of years ago the bottles suddenly had warning labels on them advising never to take internally. The inside of your ear seems like internal to me. I've never flushed out my ears, but salt water sounds safer .

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Doesn't Hydrogen Peroxide burn?

If it does it isn't like you're using it all the time. The hydrogen peroxide will react with the wax and cause it to foam (snap crackle, pop).

You burn your mouth with hot pizza, but that doesn't make you stop eating it, right?

Last I heard salt is a corrosive. That doesn't stop people from going into the ocean, though, right? although it can be said that sea salt is the same type of salts found in the embryotic sac, so it is natural to us, much in the same way that while oxygen is corrosive we can easily tolerate it.

Perhaps diluting it to 1.5% is best as suggested earlier. So, that would be 98.5% inert distilled water with 1.5% active chemicals. What is the composition of water that has clorine in it? Clorine is also corrosive. Yet it is being absorbed by our whole bodies when we bathe.

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Buy one of these:
Acc3175_01-copy.jpg

Mix one part Hydrogen Peroxide with one part warm water, suck into bulb, and squirt into ears. Rinse, repeat.
tongue.gif

Do NOT shove the tip of the bulb in your ear. Aim it into your ear just on the outside and squirt. Back pressure from shoving it in your ear could damage your ear drums.

-Ed

So do I just squirt it in or do I put in in and then lay on my side for a bit while it reacts?

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #25 of 35
You burn your mouth with hot pizza, but that doesn't make you stop eating it, right?

Last I heard salt is a corrosive. That doesn't stop people from going into the ocean, though, right?
QUOTE]

Last I heard, both pizza and salt are edible, right?

Sheesh. Guzzle the stuff for all I care.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was just thinking your ear canal and eardrum are delicate parts of the body. If they're putting labels on hydrogen peroxide ... the same stuff they use to bleach hair ... saying "not to be taken internally" ... I'm just concerned it may not be a good idea to squirt it in your ears. Then again it is used for cuts, so I guess in diluted doses, it won't kill you. Neither will arsenic.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #27 of 35
mbriant,

Good find. :thumb's up:

So then the question becomes, does the ear membrane contain catalase? Is the wax itself made of, or contain, catalase? Can H2O2 breakdown wax if it does not contain catalase?

And why doesn't it foam when it comes into contact with our skin if the skin itself contains dead cells? It must be that H2O2 really only reeacts with live cells, and therefore catalase is a misnomer.

Feb 24, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
mbriant,

Good find. :thumb's up:

So then the question becomes, does the ear membrane contain catalase? Is the wax itself made of, or contain, catalase? Can H2O2 breakdown wax if it does not contain catalase?

And why doesn't it foam when it comes into contact with our skin if the skin itself contains dead cells? It must be that H2O2 really only reeacts with live cells, and therefore catalase is a misnomer.

Earwax is a natural coating do we need to remove it to achieve audio nirvana?

NO. (IMO)

Feb 24, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #29 of 35
Ear wax is good - it is a by product of too much energy hitting the ear and the ear protecting itself from harm.

Ear wax on the periphery of the ear canal tends to absorb high energy whilst the build up on the ear membrane is because of too much pressure, usually caused by bass notes or volume pressure. The membrane is trying to neutralise the air pressure by building up the wax. The more pressure exerted on the ear drum membrane the more wax build up.

Like a well running engine we want a light coating. But like a car engine that never gets an oil change and filter change, crud forms which can damage the engine.

biggrin.gif
hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back